Sign in to follow this  
observer

Duty of care?

Whilst the Article 2 of the europeon convention on human rights states that 'Everyone's right to life shall be protected by law.' blah blah blah and I do agree that those held in custody should be protected (well sort of depending on what they have done as child murderers deserve to die in horrible circumstances in my opinion :evil: )

.........I find it DISGUSTING that Huntley is now claiming ?100,000 in so called compensation (Huntly himself contravened the same Article 2 definition by depriving 2 young school children of their rights to life and by his actions probably also contravened articles 2 and 5 too :twisted: )

The bit that makes his claim even worse is that the poor families of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman were awarded a measily ?11,000 each from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority. I'm sure no amount of money is compensation for your child being killed by a murdering scum bag like Huntley :cry:

A FOI request has also revealed that in the past 5 years the prison service has paid out ?15m in out of court settlements to prisoners, for everything from slips and falls to cash for drug addicts for inadequate medical treatment. :evil::roll::roll:

If Huntley is successful in his claim then the money he is awarded should all be donated to a charity or other worthwhile cause AND NOT ONE PENNY OF IT SHOULD GO TO HIM OR HIS FAMILY !!!!!!

As I said earlier Dizzy, I don't think prisoners should have the right to claim compensation, I just object to Observers comments on blaming it on the Eu and the Human Rights act. Mr Huntley could have claimed under previous rules the HR act replaced. The Hr act did not give him the opportunity it was already there. And if they revoked it tomorrow he could still claim.

Mr Huntley :shock::?:evil: How can you refer to him as 'Mr' you make him sound so normal :roll:

You may object to Obs blaming it on the Eu and the Human Rights act but he does have a valid point.

If so much emphasis wasn't put on the Human Rights Act all the time and it wasn't manipulated to cover the most ridiculous of things then people like Huntley and their solicitors would not jump on the easy ladder leading to blame, compensation or other claims despite the likes of him being in prison for intentionally KILLING two kids.

Huntly deserves to be scared stiff every day wondering what's going to happen to him next.... just like his victims felt eh :cry:

Any prisoner with a history similar to Huntley is at risk - therefore, in pursuing it's "duty of care" - solitary confinement would eliminate such risks - sorted. But would the HR brigade allow it? :roll:

Would Huntley still be able to take the Prison Service to Court if we did not have the Hr act, The answer to the question is yes. The duty of care to prisoners predates the Hr act.

I do not agree with what he is doing, But the Hr act does not change anything here, What we need is a change in the law to stop prisoners claiming, something we have never had.

The Hr act was written for the best of intensions, I agree it is not perfect, It seems to work in the rest of Europe, Perhaps you should not look at the act itself but our Legal Profession who attempt to try to usurp it for their own ends and not for what it was written for.

Under a system you want Baz, The Birmingham 6 and the Guildford 4 would all be dead. Would you put these deaths down to acceptable losses, and under your system how would the families of these people find justice as it would have been the State that killed them. :?:

You are talking about convictions from the 70's (less than 10 years after the death penalty was revoked) however in todays world, forensic science is a whole different ball game.

The Birmingham 6 were arrested after 5 of them left Birmingham in the early hours of the morning that the bomb went off. They were on their way to Belfast to a funeral of an IRA man who had blown himself to bits making a bomb...... I'm sure the boats were full of innocent irishmen heading back home for the same funeral, like one does...!!

The Police may have fiddled the evidence to attempt to strengthen their case or whatever, have never re-opened the case or tried to find anyone else in connection with the bombings in Birmingham.

The Guildford 4 is a slightly different thing altogether and may have resulted in 4 men being hanged who may have indeed been innocent..... however, as I have said, todays forensics and such like is not quite as dodgy as 40 years ago Kije.

The death penalty would have stopped this nonsense with Huntley, unless of course you think he may be innocent too, and maybe deserves a chance in the future? Maybe he could join the Liberals with you and campaign for prison reforms or the rights of prisoners..........

Forensics are not full proof Baz as you know, You have still not answered my question what would happen when the State gets it wrong and murders someone because thats what it would be, what redress would you give the family because you could not give them justice. Lets face facts are justice system is not perfect it makes mistakes.

The law does make mistakes, but usually through shoddy coppers falsifying evidence and extracting convictions by aggression. Not something which is as easy to do these days; especially with CCTV and the like. Gene Hunt would certainly be out of a job.

There is a case at the moment which is quite a famous one and that is the case of Crippen. It has long been thought that he didn't actually kill his wife since the latest DNA evidence taken in 2007 cast doubt on the conviction....

What redress to his family I wonder!!?

Baz is we could stop coppers fidderling with evidence, and get the justice system working properly then I think capital punishment should be looked at again, Its a sad fact that lawyers with any skill do not work for the crown prosecution service as they can get more money working privately, so the cps ends up with people who are unable to get a job anywhere else.It should be made easier and alot cheaper or at no cost for private prosecutions as the families could then get a barrister of there choice and not the cps dross.

A woman from Surrey attended Moat's funeral, with her 3 lads. When interviewed, she believes Moat is a "legend"! Now with parents like that knocking about, what chance for those kids - what chance for the jury system? :roll:

Obs you forgot to add the fact that the woman and her sons didn't even know Moat. :shock::roll:

I read it in the paper yesterday and she [Ms B], a mother of 8 kids, apparently also said " I absolutely loved him. I just think he is a hero and I wanted to pay my respects. He kept them coppers on the run all that time. Fair enough people died but they must have deserved it."

The bloody woman needs locking up herself if you ask me :evil::roll:

I think the prison system does have a duty of care in so much as it should provide safety of the prisoner to the extent he/she would expect in normal society. therefore risks that the everyday citizen would encounter should be safegarded against. To this extent I am not provided with 24 hour security against the actions of somone with criminal intent and neither should the likes of huntley.

If I then go out of my way to make enemies of people who are likely to do me harm then I have been negligent to my own wellfare.

Murdering defenceless schoolgirls is an action for which I must accept that I have offended basic aspects of humanity and can only expect that the vast majority of humanity would wish to retaliate or atleast be less than generous with my plight.

The fact that huntley survives is proof of more than adequate duty of care when he has been so wreckless himself.

In his case I would have sentanced him to chemicaly induce blindness/deafness for the full duration of his sentance, so that every second he lived in the terror that those poor girls must have suffered for the last moments of their short innocent lives.

Criminals have a moral heirarchy - the lowest strata of which are child molesters. As if to justify their moral superiority, inmates will make a point of beating up or even killing peados etc; thus, they are never "safe", unless isolated. :shock:

But it's not possible to isolate them all Obs so what is the solution...

Will more and more hr compensation claims be submitted by all such inmates simply on the grounds that they are 'scared'. :?

Could it be that we will start to see certain types of offenders released earlier than their sentence stated because of the risk of injury by other inmates and subsequent heafty claims.

I can think of one solution for the scum bags and they wouldn't have to worry about being hurt or their human rights being contravened after that. :wink:

If we didn't have the confounded HR laws to contend with, it would be perfectly possible to isolate certain categories of inmates, even place them in slitary confinement for their own protection. What isn't possible, is to keep them safe from other prisoners - hence perhaps your right, a new trend in the compensation culture? :roll:

Rapists and child sex fiends have always be segregated from the rest of the prison population. As Obs well knows,and it was done long before the Hr act :!:

I can think of one solution for the scum bags and they wouldn't have to worry about being hurt or their human rights being contravened after that. :wink:

Don't let Kije hear you saying that dizzy, or else he will tar you with the "hang 'em, flog 'em" lot like me!!

So he has been attacked by a similar calibre of person to himself then ie a child murderer/peodophile etc ?

PS BazJ... Yep "hang 'em, flog 'em" sounds about right although I would do it the other way around :wink:

I have no idea who is in the cell next door, But he is segregated, last time they got to him, when they threw boiling water on him he was in the hospital wing.

I have no idea who is in the cell next door, But he is segregated, last time they got to him, when they threw boiling water on him he was in the hospital wing.

Shame :lol: