Ian Tomlinson

I take it fug, you're now accepting there is no srange media silence to make you suspicious anymore?

Nope. It's still not as prominent as I'd like it to be. Any editor in the country worthy of the title should be banging on about it 24/7. But I know that's not gonna happen, so it's all a bit meh.

Especially since, the far bigger story imo - Venables...

Nail/head interface thingie there: I think people who see it like this have it the wrong way around.

• 9 months later...

Well, the jurors didn't think so:

"Jurors added that the newspaper seller, who was not taking part in the protests, posed no threat." - (from the above link).

I'm sure some people will still continue to try to defend the indefensible though.

I have always said the copper was a violent thug and should have been prosecuted....

It would appear that the policemans secondment to the TSG was a perfect vent for his obvious and proven aggressive behaviour.

How he could have still been a copper in light of his previous behaviour is unbelievable..... just about sums up the "close ranks and lie" attitude of the current police forces we have.

I have always said the copper was a violent thug and should have been prosecuted....

It would appear that the policemans secondment to the TSG was a perfect vent for his obvious and proven aggressive behaviour.

How he could have still been a copper in light of his previous behaviour is unbelievable..... just about sums up the "close ranks and lie" attitude of the current police forces we have.

Hopefully now he will be and have the book thrown at him. While they are at it they should do every copper, who closed ranks and covered up, with at least perverting the course of justice.

• 3 weeks later...

No time for that type of policeman but i m surprised at the prosecution considering the CPS' normal reluctance to prosecute anything other than safe cases. (probably public pressure).

Think it will be very difficult to prove an unlawful killing, although a conviction for a lesser offence is on the cards.

Happy days

What it will do, is make coppers reluctant to use any force whatsoever, just in case.

From now on they will just stand and take whatever is thrown at them and by who.

Seems right that this copper was brought to task but in the long run it's the baddies who win again. :roll::roll:

The cops can't win - demonstrators wreck public property etc they're blamed for being too soft; sort out the nutters and they're too hard. It's OK for armchair viewers to pontificate on riots from the comfort of home, but judgement calls are most difficult in a riot situation. :shock:

• Upvote 1

What it will do, is make coppers reluctant to use any force whatsoever, just in case.

From now on they will just stand and take whatever is thrown at them and by who.

Seems right that this copper was brought to task but in the long run it's the baddies who win again. :roll::roll:

It won't make the slightest bit of difference, most Officers will just carry on as they have always done. Harry Hayes is right though, it will be very difficult to prove Manslaughter, and there are already problems with the differing pathologists views. His Lawyers will also argue that it will be virtually impossible for the defendant to get a fair trial. They will quite rightly say that he's already faced trial by TV.

The police are very adept at getting away with stuff like this. Given the amount of time they have been at it its no surprise. I feel sorry for the many decent Bobbies who will be stained by the actions of this man and those who covered up for him and it seems continue to try to do.

I see none of the resident coppers think he'll go down for it yet none of them seem to think him innocent either.

• 2 weeks later...
The police are very adept at getting away with stuff like this. Given the amount of time they have been at it its no surprise. I feel sorry for the many decent Bobbies who will be stained by the actions of this man and those who covered up for him and it seems continue to try to do.

I see none of the resident coppers think he'll go down for it yet none of them seem to think him innocent either.

I don't think he'll get convicted of Manslaughter, because the offence isn't manslaughter. He will probably get convicted some kind of assault. As for the police being adept at getting away with such things, that is just absolute rubbish. There are bad apples in every walk of life, it's an unfortunate fact.

I don't think he'll get convicted of Manslaughter, because the offence isn't manslaughter. He will probably get convicted some kind of assault. As for the police being adept at getting away with such things, that is just absolute rubbish. There are bad apples in every walk of life, it's an unfortunate fact.

And these bad apples, adept at getting away with things are they?

You've obviously got something against the Police with a comment like that.

Just the bent ones.

Well don't making ridiculous sweeping comments that seem to encompass all Police Officers.

By "sweeping comments" I presume you refer to the comment I made claiming that the police are very adept at getting away with things. I am sure even you can see that in order for a police officer to get away with something he must have done something wrong in the first place, therefore my comment is perfectly aimed at who I intended.

You seem very touchy regarding any mention of police wrongdoings for some reason but I'm sure you are as clean as a whistle and therefore shouldn't be.

You've obviously got something against the Police with a comment like that.

Just the bent ones.

Well don't making ridiculous sweeping comments that seem to encompass all Police Officers.

By "sweeping comments" I presume you refer to the comment I made claiming that the police are very adept at getting away with things. I am sure even you can see that in order for a police officer to get away with something he must have done something wrong in the first place, therefore my comment is perfectly aimed at who I intended.

You seem very touchy regarding any mention of police wrongdoings for some reason but I'm sure you are as clean as a whistle and therefore shouldn't be.

Not at all. I was annoyed at your comment about 'they,' which inferred that all Police Officers are adept at getting away with things. If you are concerned about English Police being heavy handed, have a look at the French, the Germans, or the Italians when dealing with Public Order. I agree that this man should be prosecuted, I was simply pointing out that there is probably not enough evidence for a Manslaughter conviction, but probably enough for Assault. I also pointed out that his legal reps will probably try to say that he can't get a fair trial because of the extent, and more importantly, the depth of media coverage, which is probably quite right.

Finally, your suspicions are partly right. I am a retired Police Officer. I served 30 years in Cleveland Police, 20 as a Sgt, and for the vast majority of that time I was Public Order trained and worked in some of the more prominent public order disturbances in various parts of the country.