Special relationship?

observer

Do we have a "special" relationship with the US or as Henry Kisinger said " the US doesn't have friends, only interests"? Since WW2, we've seen successive UK PMs tripping over to Washington for orders, so it appears the relationship is that the US President shouts s**t, and we jump on the shovel - remember Bush shouting "Yo Bliar"! - just about summed it up. :shock:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only agree Kije because Europe don't really like the US. The US bailed us out in the second world war and indirectly; every country in Europe.

We do have a special relationship with them. Unlike our relationship with Europe which (from what I can see) entails us bailing out the poor countries financially whilst getting bog all from it ourselves.

Do we have a special relationship. :?: As long as we do what they say, then I suppose you could call it a relationship of sorts.

Do they listen to us :?: NO

Do we listen and obey them :?: YES

What a good relationship we have when are Pm can not even stop them crucifying one of our biggest companies, Just think what that will do for pensions if that goes down.

Everything you have put there Kije can also be attributed to the EU and I personally hold no aligence to them.

BP is creating a rod for its own back by buggering up every attempt to fix the oil spill and by not listening to people who know how to clean up the spills etc.

They are now implicated in a plot to get the mass murderer al magrahi out of prison in tandem with the scots. If thats true, they deserve to go bust

I don't remember the Eu advocating invading Iraq. I don't remember the Eu invading Grenada, which by the way was part of the Commonwealth, you would have thought we might have been informed at the time by are best friend, you know the one, the one we have a special relationship with. They say bend over Uncle Sam's coming and we say with or without Vaseline I'm yours

:oops::wink::!:

America has no friends, America has interests; Henry Kissinger :!::!::!:

Baz, whilst I agree with you on the EU; I must correct you on your belief that the US somehow gave us the cash after the war - it was a LOAN, and took 60 years to pay back - every penny. As for their belated appearance in WW2, that's cos the Japs attacked them at Pearl Harbour, not cos they particularly wanted to rescue us. :roll:

Obs,

I wasn't just refering to the financial bailout with regards to WW2, the Amercans sacrificed a lot of young men in the fight to rid Europe of Hitler; a fight they didn't need to get into because as you quite rightly say, it was the Japs that prompted the US to retaliate.

They could have just stuck to sorting them out without the need to come to our aid.

But also bear in mind there were already many American airmen flying missions against the Germans before the US entered the war.

And finally, as for repaying the American debt, at least that one had an end date in sight..... we will be paying for Europe for as long as we can foresee.... unless of course a miracle happens and the whole corrupt edifice comes crashing down

Obs,

They could have just stuck to sorting them out without the need to come to our aid.

But also bear in mind there were already many American airmen flying missions against the Germans before the US entered the war.

And finally, as for repaying the American debt, at least that one had an end date in sight.....

Seeing that Germany and Italy declared war on America it was unlikely that they would have stuck to sorting Japan out. :roll:

As for American airmen flying missions, thankfully they did, but it was under the threat of the American government taking away their citizenship.

As for the war loan then I must have a special relationship with my bank because they make me pay back every penny with interest. :roll:

Come to think of it Loan sharks must have special relationships with their customers. :wink:

Baz

I don't know where you get surrender monkeys from, The British army were defeated in France also, The only thing that saved us from Blitzkrieg was the English Channel, and before you go on about the RAF and the battle of Britain, the most successful squadron in the battle were Polish.

I am not anti American I just do not beleive in the special relationship.

A good read of WW2 History is in order as you do not seem to know the facts :wink:

If their is any debt of gratitude for our salvation in WW2, it must be paid to our Russiam allies who paid in the blood of 22 million souls and absorbed 75% of the Axis military war effort on the Eastern Front; without which, we'd undoutably be speaking German now in a "united" Europe! :shock: Of course, the Yanks, from the safety of the US mainland supplied the Allied war effort with an abundance of war material, for which we paid for with interest and which stimulated their post war economic boom and rise to being the world super-power. :shock:

Ah well.... if you anti-Americans want to get into bed with the French ..... good luck. I know where my loyalties lie and it isn't with a bunch of surrender monkeys

Baz, why do you assume that if someone is 'anti' American (as you put it) it means that they are pro European?

The post has nothing to do with being pro or anti Europe, it's about our so called 'special relationship' with America. :roll: