Lord Prezzer!

observer

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obs to answer your question

If I was in a que, and a person in front of me dropped something I would say "Excuse me mate I think you have dropped something or excuse me Miss I think you have dropped something. "As to meeting someone with a knighthood it would depend where we were, At a formal dinner yes I probably use his title in the street I would not.

I find you get more out of people if you are polite,and it costs nothing

Oh, you are one of these people who call complete strangers "mate

I suppose you speak 1950's BBC english

Common usage of the word "mate" either means you are a seaman (In which case it is prefaced by "Mr") or a member of the lower order

That might have been so in the 50's, and as you state its for the lower orders, is that how I should address you :wink:

Yes, it definitely was so in the Fifties and as far as I am concerned it is still so today.

I am frequently addressed as "mate" by complete strangers who are, invariably, of the lower order. It annoys me because I am not their mate!

And as Peter T says, there was nothing wrong with Fifties BBC English. It was rather better than today's BBC English.

Being able to speak good English is one of the most valuable assets anyone can have, even today, and it is one of the things our education system consistently fails in.

Come on now, be fair.

This situation started long before the recent invasion from Europe. It goes back to the 60's when young people rebelled against the 'system' and pushed ALL the boundaries back as far as they could.

The kids of that era then grew up to be politicians and were unable to handle the problems that they helped to create, hence the mess that the country is in.

• 2 weeks later...
That is true - but surely it was teenagers growing up to become parents (and teachers) that had more impact than teenagers growing up to become politicians? And it goes back to before the Sixties.

But it is the same politicians who grew up in the 60's, who make the decisions on education and society.

One of the worst decisions was changing the way in which they learnt to spell. We have been saying for years on this Forum, how standards have continually been dropping.