Hosepipe ban

vic

With increased surface run off due to increased building, we no longer save as much water by natural storage; it makes it's way by the quickest route (which we provide with drainage systems) to the sea. There is obviously insufficient man made catchment of fresh water fall, or recycling of our river supplies prior to it reaching the sea (EG. believe in London you can drink the same water several times!). :wink:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granada reports showed viewers photos of all the flooded streets and torrential rain that we had yesterday.... was rather odd to see considering we currently observing a hosepipe ban :lol:

Mother nature is odd eh :lol:

Anyway.. there is a solution as blue badge holders and disabled people are exempt from the ban so I'm going to ask my neighbour to hold the hosepipe while I wash my car :wink::D

Only kidding as I don't use a hosepipe anyway cos the water pressure is naff.. :cry:

I would imagine it's because people with disabilities maybe can't walk too well and carrying heavy watering cans or buckets is quite hard for them etc etc whereas using hosepipes is a lot easier. I think the exclusion is warranted.

In adition to those with disabilities the ban does not include the watering of public parks and gardens etc.

I was only checking to see how the ban affected businesses and just thought I'd pass on the exclusions :wink:

I was only basing my observations on what I see at ASDA these days and in towns all over the country. Lots and Lots of big powerful 4x4's and big powerful cars have a disabled badge allowing them to park anywhere. More often than not, the car is driven alone by someone who jumps out and runs off like Linford Christie!

But what about all the snow on the Cumbrian hills?

Unfortunately, several feet of snow only contains the same amount of water as a few inches of rain.

Although it may not have rained as much as in the past it's not like we've had drought-like weather for months on end. It lasted about two weeks!

That's just the point. It doesn't take hot weather to make a drought - just lack of rain. And in the areas we collect our water from there has been a LOT less rain in the last year than in a more normal year.

Obs point about water run-off in built up areas going straight down the drains and then out to sea is true, and does cause problems of overloading of storm drains - but it's not relevent to drinking water supply in this area as we don't collect it from round here anyway.

I was only basing my observations on what I see at ASDA these days and in towns all over the country. Lots and Lots of big powerful 4x4's and big powerful cars have a disabled badge allowing them to park anywhere. More often than not, the car is driven alone by someone who jumps out and runs off like Linford Christie!

I know what you mean. It is also a fact, that the system is too general. It should be for those with walking difficulties ONLY.

At a service station on the M5 yesterday, my wife was waiting to use a Disabled Toilet and this guy walked out, absolutely nothing wrong with him, didn't even hold the door open for her. :twisted:

• 4 weeks later...

Fine where we are Bill :D I'd have brought you some water if you had said earlier :lol:

Just been checking the UU website to see when it's due back on for the mother-in-law and it says : -

Repairs should be complete by approximately 7pm.

We will then begin the process of restoring the supplies to the area which may take some time longer.

When supplies do begin to restore you may experience discoloured water .

Discolouration is caused by a natural iron and manganese sediment that would normally lie dormant within the water main, to become disturbed. This is UNLIKELY to be harmful to health and in order to clear the supply run your 1st incoming cold water tap at a very slow trickle. This will allow the sediment to settle down within the mains network. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are working to restore your supply back to normal.

UNLIKELY ?? That's not very specific is it :shock::? Does that mean they can't be blamed if you all get ill after drinking whatever comes out of your taps later... you have been WARNED :lol::wink:

Personally though I'd be more worried about all the worms and other bugs and bacteria from the soil that have now entered the water main during the digging and repair process :shock::lol::lol:

Don't contractors get supplied with copies of United Utilities (and other services) maps of the area before they start digging :shock:

Saying that UU charge a lot for copies of their plans.

They wanted to charge me over ?40 for an A4 printout of the drain direction in front of my house ?? Didn't pay as I thought that was OTT however it appears that the same information regarding the water and drain network system for the whole of Warrington is held by WBC and you can view it for FREE.

Never asked them though as I'd lost interest by then :lol: