Britain - a joke?

Two suspect Al Queda operatives have been granted leave to stay in the UK by a Judge. The reasoning being, that if they were returned to their Country of origin - Pakistan (an ally of ours); they could be subjected to torture. So, they are now the subject of control orders, costing Police time and energy; to ensure they don't get up to any terrorist mischief and blow us up. Yet more liberal insanity - if they are Pakistan Nationals, they should imo be returned to Pakistan asap, what does or doesn't happen to them in Pakistan is frankly not our affair. Contrast this liberal sqeamishness with the US extraordinary rendition, where suspects were kidnapped in foreign countries and purposely taken to torture states for interrogation - something our intelligence services were allegedley complicit in. We don't half make rods for our own backs. :twisted:

Well, it used to be to Australia, but none of you would want to go there, would you?

Happy days

I believe Australia is just as much a basket case as Britain under the Labour government of Kevin Rudd with illegal immigrants turning up by the ship load :shock::shock:

What if they would be the ones doing the torturing?

What if the Pakistani Government is complicit in terrorism?

What if the ones they would be torturing be relatives of people living here?

What if they are able to plan bomb attacks on the UK in a way they could not otherwise?

Not quite as simple as that, as usual. Alas, since we don't execute, it's going to cost us one way or another. No escape. The best approach is to keep them under a tin lid and how we do that is...??? :roll:

I don't think the judge had much of a choice here.

None of us may like or agree with it, but judges are there to make decisions according to UK law. I, for one, would rather live under UK law (for all its faults) than in a country where religious considerations play a bigger part in formulating laws than they do here.

It looks to me like some posters may like things the other way around.

I don't think anyone would wish for the involvement of archaic religious beliefs in the law - niether, the involvement of fancifull liberal ideas of human rights being distorted within the law. The Judge based his decision on the HR Act, which is another import from the EU. I believe the HR Act was due for repeal by the Tories (if they had won), but Clegg's toga wearers will no doubt ensure that doesn't happen now. The position is fairly clear - two Pakistan nationals (suspected of being Al Quaeda operatives) enter this country with the intent to blow up British citizens - they are apprehended earlier than was wished, due to a senior police commander flashing confidential papers in public, which undermines the evidence base for a trial. One could ask, why were they allowed into this Country in the first place, as even the remotest risk should have barred them from entry. However, once arrested, they should have been deported to THEIR OWN country of origin ASAP - the suspicion that Pakistan (OUR ALLY), may torture their own folk is frankly irrelevent, that's an internal matter for them, and if we're so bothered about their HR record, why are we allied to them in the first place? We now have the ludicrous situation where tax-payers money will have to support these wannabee terrorists and police time and energy expended on maintaining surveillance on them - crazy or what?! Meanwhile, a BRITISH guy, who got a bit too nosey on line and allegedley entered the Pentagon website - is scheduled for extradition to the USA - yer just couldn't make it up! :twisted:

You can't accept anything at face value without giving us your persistent negative take on everything. It beggers belief that you are still resident in this country. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll: Don't let the fact that her hands are tied stop you making your monotonous diatribes against anyone in authority.

There may be a possibility that she can do something for the unfortunate chap whilst there is nothing she can do about the targets of your latest garbage.

I think we have got to accept that you are the sad, boring serial whinger that is so far up his own backside that he has forgotten what the sun looks like.

Unlike you it seems, I'm not prepared to accept crumbs of comfort when there are loaves knocking about - the loaf in this case being:- the repeal of the HR Act and withdrawal from the European convention that dictates it - which was Tory policy, until they got into bed with the LibDems. :cry:

Meanwhile, a BRITISH guy, who got a bit too nosey on line and allegedley entered the Pentagon website - is scheduled for extradition to the USA - yer just couldn't make it up! :twisted:

Would this be the crumb that you won't accept because it doesn't suit your crusade?

This case was a result of a one sided extradition treaty with the USA - I've heard of no plans to ammend this treaty; and it contradicts the liberal driven position on not returning criminals or suspect criminals from the UK to their own Countries - get it now?! :roll:

This case was a result of a one sided extradition treaty with the USA

Yup, a poorly negotiated treaty that we're locked in to until, er, we're not.

it contradicts the liberal driven position on not returning criminals or suspect criminals from the UK to their own Countries

Well, the last gov.co.uk weren't noted for their consistency, why anyone would expect it now due to a new and governing oppositional alliance is beyond me.

Casual question, obs: do you think torture is ever justifiable?

Oh, and everything Beaky said.

Fugtifuno: history is littered with broken treaties; nothing stopping us ammending or renaging on any of them; from extradition to the US, to the European convention on HR, to the Treaty of Rome. I don't support torture, but I'm not arrogant enough to dictate the internal domestic policies of other Countries - IF we're so bothered about it, perhaps we should be using diplomatic influence to end it and cutting the ?'s of foreign aid we spend on them; but that doesn't influence my belief that non-British nationals suspected of wishing to harm public safety in this country should be deported ASAP to THEIR OWN Countries. :roll: