Walton Hall and Gardens SOLD

Sha

Noticed this comment on the news pages............

Responses to "Walton Hall campaign's massive response"

WBC are deaf

said this on 19 May 2010 9:00:26 AM BST

I think second to last phrase has a mistake: "executive board will select a development partner in June and widespread CRITICISM will follow." Mr Marks should check what happened to the Chester Chief Executive after Andy Farrall got involved..

:shock::shock::shock:

Worth a google d'y think??????

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed this comment on the news pages............

Responses to "Walton Hall campaign's massive response"

WBC are deaf

said this on 19 May 2010 9:00:26 AM BST

I think second to last phrase has a mistake: "executive board will select a development partner in June and widespread CRITICISM will follow." Mr Marks should check what happened to the Chester Chief Executive after Andy Farrall got involved..

Talking of which, has LP been arrested? She was going to talk to the council, yet hasn't posted for some time.

I think the council have been taking lessons from North Korea. Paul vanishes, ands now LP!!!

:shock::shock::shock:

Worth a google d'y think??????

Thought it would be useful to put this link Diz posted on another thread on here. (thanks Diz)

The Walton Hall Estate deal is mentioned..........it seems it is as we have suspected, the developer has already been selected!!!

Can we believe anything they tell us??? :evil:

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-features/2010/04/07/warrington-progressing-on-its-ambitious-development-plans-92534-26188747/

It's absolutely packed at Walton Gardens today... even the overspill car park field looked full when I walked past. Was the same yesterday apparently. Good weekend for wbc's parking wardens :wink:

They would have made a fortune in the cafe too.. if it was open :roll:

Thought it would be useful to put this link Diz posted on another thread on here. (thanks Diz)

The Walton Hall Estate deal is mentioned..........it seems it is as we have suspected, the developer has already been selected!!!

Can we believe anything they tell us??? :evil:

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-features/2010/04/07/warrington-progressing-on-its-ambitious-development-plans-92534-26188747/

I pointed that out last week Sha on another thread on here but it wasn't picked up on..... seems they have already decided who is going to buy the jewels, how much they are going to pay and when it will happen...... pity they won't come clean and let us poor taxpayers know! :twisted:

Sorry Baz I started the other topic and did see your comment below the link re Walton Gardens statement.... well spotted... and I thought I had replied to you :oops:

Think we can safely say that the selected 'operator' has since been named by others though eh :wink::lol:

One additional thought from me is if, as stated, the development and the renovations of the Hall, other buildings (and grounds if additional information is anything to go by) is expected to take five years then that's one heck of a long term 'disruption period' to everyday visitors and surely there will have to be a huge area fenced off for the redevelopment process and of course for contractors vehicles and delivery access on/off the site for safety reasons.

Am I right in thinking that the only current access routes to the estate are over the small humpy bridge at the visitors entrance or via the back route again via a humpy bridge and/or down narrow country lanes :?

Presumably a new access bridge could always be built next to the heritage centre entrance as that would be in alignment with the existing 'road' upto the hall. :wink:

Contessa obviously like old grade II listed buildings and who can blame them....and the worse for wear, the cheaper the price tag or more 'eager to dispose of' option the better 'maybe'. (But saying that would you want WBC as your long term 'landlord' :shock::lol::wink:)

They bought the old Port Sunlight Cottage Hospital from the Port Sunlight Trust when it was falling down and credit where credit's due Contessa certainly seem to know how to plough money into refurbishing, enlarging and redeveloping old crumbling 'listed' wrecks and their sites. Impressive and maybe they should take on Bewsey Old Hall... ideal setting for a boutique hotel.

Not saying that Walton Hall is an old crumbling wreck of course as we all know that is NOT the case... and presumably so do Contessa :wink: ??????? :wink:.... what they probably hadn't banked on though is the fact that so many other people USE the gardens and have done for many many years

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2008/08/01/port-sunlight-hospital-is-revived-as-hotel-92534-21446147/

So, the notes from the council meeting have been posted on the Save Walton Gardens web-site ( www.savewaltongardens.co.uk ).

While the tone is conciliatory, there's some points to be made:

The public WILL lose access to some parts, though less than feared. Is that good enough?

The council have behaved in an outrageous way in this matter, hiding negotiations and deals from the public. Can we trust them to ever make the next decisions with our best wishes in mind?

There is still no sensible comments on why they have not used one of the more obvious, and less restrictive funding options:

- Keeping the cafe open! (and on that note, why plan a new pub while pubs are dying across the country and the Walton Arms is just down the road, is this part of the investment we are being sold on?)

- Better (non council) management of the Golf Course

- Green offices (maybe in the old stables, access through golf club)

There are also many more issues now opened up:

- 5 years development, traffic, building, restricted access, damage.

- Ongoing access: Over the humped back bridges? Construction vehicles? Really?

Also, what is the going rate for a 125 year lease on such prime green belt? I bet it's way above the $25 million investment that is being quoted. Any property valuers on here? Maybe we could divvy up the difference as a rebate?!!

I still think this stinks. The council is giving away our birthright to pay for it's past, current and projected future mis-management of our taxes.

I'd also be interested to know exactly how much funding has been applied for for the estate and buildings over the past 20 years.

including

Which organisations the funding applications were submitted to and when?

What was it submitted for..details ?

How much was it for ?

How much was given ?

How was the money spent ?

How many applications were refused funding and WHY.. details ?

That sounds like a request to Diane Terris, under the freedom of information act. She will have 20 days to reply. Why not ask her?

The council have behaved in an outrageous way in this matter, hiding negotiations and deals from the public

It seems only about 3% of the towns population could be bothered to sign the petition so do you think the council will be all that concerned?

Agitator,

do we have any proof though that all those in the facebook page actually live in Warrington?

We have members on here who live in America and Australia so because the internet is such a global thing, people sign up for all sorts of things.....especially on facebook

So, the notes from the council meeting have been posted on the Save Walton Gardens web-site ( www.savewaltongardens.co.uk ).

Well thankfully now we have all read the councils answers the majority of the public?s worries over loss of access have now been put to rest. The outcome (or should I say ?answers?) on the save walton gardens website will also I presume be reported in all the local press etc, again resulting in people?s minds being put at ease and the public ?campaign? diminishing rapidly at just the 'right' point. :?

That was the intention of Friday?s meeting right !?!? :?

Interesting point made about the covenant though in the notes

As part of the restriction relating to the sale of alcohol WAS lifted a few years back by the beneficiary is there any reason WHY the council are now hoping to go down the other route of having the hotel restriction lifted by way of ?laws governing regeneration schemes? rather than simply getting approval from the beneficiary again. Has the beneficiary refused to lift the clause or is there more than one covenant?

Anyone know who the beneficiaries actually are.. I presumed one was Lord Daresbury

Shame the council never bothered registering the land with land registry as we could all read the associated covenants ourselves :wink: They will of course register it when the lease is signed :roll:

Also a slight contradiction regarding the councils 'commitment' to ensure no additional loss of public access occurs and the statement about future planning applications.

Once the first planning application is approved and lease is signed then that simply opens the way to future applications which I very much doubt that WBC will be in a position to refuse.

Contessa's Grade II Port Sunlight Hospital's original redevelopment application was passed and then promptly had 3 subsequent planning applications approved once work started for larger expansion, additional buildings and rooms, plus spa complexes etc etc.

As for the other things obvious from reading the councils 'expected' response then lets just wait and see eh. :shock::roll: Enough said for now as presumably they will all be reading :wink:

Maybe a good solution all round would be to offer ALL existing but regular users of Walton Gardens a permenant 75% discount on hotel rooms with free champaign, meals and free access to the hotel spa's etc providing they can show more than 4 car park tickets in any one month :D:wink: Worth a try :lol:

I forgot to add.....

The council response notes also say that

5. Visitor numbers will have to increase significantly to generate the return on investment required by Contessa

What does that exactly mean ?

Surely Contessa's return on their investment will (or should) be gained through the cost of staying in their hotel or drinking in their pub ?

If ALL other public access and areas are to remain FREE as has been stated then surely it is irrelevant if only 5 people or even 5000 people 'visit' each week? The statement doesn't make sense and leads me to believe that charges WILL be made after all for some areas or other things :shock:

If "Contessa will own all commercial revenues generated from the entire Walton Estate" as stated in the meeting then presumably this includes income from the car park, crazy golf, pitch and put etc ... so who will be responsible for the costs of maintaining the main FREE public areas and zoo etc.. contessa or WBC ? If WBC then where will their money be coming from ??

Time for bed as brain is going into reverse overdrive now :lol:

Agitator,

do we have any proof though that all those in the facebook page actually live in Warrington?

We have members on here who live in America and Australia so because the internet is such a global thing, people sign up for all sorts of things.....especially on facebook

Baz. I don't think it really matters. If people visit the place, they should comment. The answer is possinly NO, but that doesn't alter the message.

I would imagine that the majority of Warrington Residents don't have a clue as to what is happening with the future of Walton Hall and Gardens.

I have been suprised just how many people I have spoken to who actually don't know what is going on,..... but then there are an awful lot of people who don't do Facebook or even read the local press (not that the local press have been overly informative on this issue up to yet!) However I've found that when they do find out they are, to put it mildly, annoyed!...and only too willing to sign the petition and offer to attend demos.

Considering it's such a really short time since any of the public became aware of what's been going on behind closed doors, and the limited sources of publicity, I think the petition is doing exceptionally well in illustrating the amount of public support........give it a few more weeks!! :wink::lol:

Many of the visitors to Walton Gardens I have spoken to over the years, and more so recently, travel from outside Warrington Borough, especially Halton. Has there ever been a survey of the value of the amenity to visitors and where they are based. The park has now become so popular that loss of the area proposed as exclusive to the new Hotel will inevitably result in over crowding of the remaining public areas and many regular family visitors will turn to facilities elsewhere.

My previous comment concerning the 'Daresbury Coach' - it is the yellow/black one in the cycle museum where the proptietor tells me he is on a month to month lease and has been kept as much in the dark about future of park and buildings as everyone else - the whole matter has been a WBC public relations disaster for nearly 12 months - when first mooted mid-summer last year I advised Walton Parish Council to call an extraordinary public meeting but my request had a negative response.

They will of course register it when the lease is signed

Don't think leases are registered with the land registry.

They are (with the exception of a few types) :wink: Would suspect the Walton Hall one will definately be registered given it's 125 lease period etc etc

http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/when_to_register.pdf