MacAdemic qualification!

observer

Originally posted by JayC:

If someone makes a career out of a fast food franchise why shouldnt they have the necessary qualifications to do the job correctly, I am sure you are all qualified in your field of expertise so why belittle those trying to better themselves here.

John

Spot on JayC. a job is a job. I admire anyone who gets of their backside to do a days work even if it is regarded by some as a junk job.

In fact the admiration is greater than for those who get paid over the top salaries.

Fair point JC: all jobs should be done "right"; but this MACqualification has to be set in the context of the wider lack of traditional skills in this country. :o Meantime, traditional vocational apprenticeships have withered on the vine: engineers, plumbers, electrician etc: have to be recruited from Poland etc; leaving our youngsters with these mickey mouse service jobs, that they are now trying to cloak in accademic respectability. :o:x

It's fashionable and terribly, terribly smart to rubbish everything connected with MacDonalds. When it comes to most of the food they sell I'd tend to agree but, from what I can gather, this qualification is an N V Q and covers everything from personnel management to food hygiene. OK, Mac D's may not be my (or your) eating place of choice but I'm pleased to know that the place is likely to be properly run for the sake of those who do choose it.

I suppose there are those who will also rubbish an N V Q. "It's not a degree. It's not an A level". Well, no it's not. It's a qualification of competence in the type of work you do. I can think of quite a few instances where a similar scheme would be very useful and extremely helpful.

Can't agree with you about NVQ's.

They are Mickey Mouse qualifications. Just a paper exercise that has little relevance to proper training.

It could be said, that they replaced apprenticeships which were far more valuable and taught a person the A-Z in that subject/Trade.

They also give the false impression that the person who has an NVQ, knows the subject in depth.

Did you know that you need an NVQ to brush the roads? :roll:

The number of "paper" qualifications these days, for the simplest of subjects/jobs, is merely to create an "everyone's a winner" mentality and is merely confusing to employers. :roll: My observations suggest to me, that in the main, paper qualifications are meaningless and actual performance is a better guide - IF the ladder climber stays long enough for his mistakes to catch up with him. :roll: Bull**** is the name of the game nowadays! :roll:

No Obs, but a couple of years working on a ship coupled with 12 months in college followed by written and oral examinations will get you qualified as an officer (if you pass!)Of course being Polish or Romanian would be a distinct advantage in today's Merchant Navy :roll::roll:

Peter - dont knock NVQ's please - they are very very misunderstood, amongst other stuff I have two Level 3's one in Promoting Independence

(from when I worked with adults with Servere Learning Disabilities) and a Level 3 in Business Administration as I am now in a very different role.

Both are very valuable to me and much cherished - they are both significant proof in a specified field at a specified level of an "existing" competency in two very different fields of work. Level 4 is management however I am now looking to attain either a diploma or undergraduate degree in Business Management - entry by the way being one Level 3 NVQ amongst other qualifications of course. Depends of course if the Council have the pennies to pay :roll:

NVQ's are about proving a level of competency in a sprecific area more than once and in a variety of ways. Its not really about learning a new skill thought hat can be part of it but proof your there already.

But my point really being that at least from the Councils point of view there is NO way on this earth you can attain anything if you are now worthy of it, that you are up to it and not compelted it properly, if you cant prove it you dont get it.

[ 04.02.2008, 13:03: Message edited by: Tilly ]

Originally posted by Tilly:

Its not really about learning a new skill thought hat can be part of it but proof your there already.

I would have thought that the proof you are there already is simply that ..............you ARE there already :confused:

If NVQs reflect the skills and knowledge needed to do a job effectively then why do you need them if you are already doing the job effectively? If you are not doing the job effectively why are you still doing the job :confused:

Tilly,

I'm not trying to upset you or offend those that take NVQ's.

It as Wolfie says.

Even Assessments are a waste of time. A good Manager should know whether a person is up to the job, and train him/her for better things or in the parts that they fall short of the required standard.

And as for applying for an external job, all the NVQ says is that the person is good at gathering information, not that they are good at doing the job. Sorry.

The old ways were so much better.