• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Lib-dem
    • Green
    • UKIP
    • BNP
    • None of the above
    • Couldn't make up mind

so keep voting for change until we get a political party which listens to the people.

The problem is that "the people" speak with many and mostly differing voices. :wink:

We are talking about the man in the street, not politicians,Paul. :wink:

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Observer,

I get your point, but then why does this Government and other political parties want to increase the pension age and force us to work for longer? I understand that there is not enough money in the pension pot to go round, so this theory is full of contradictions? If older people can not get jobs, should they stay onthe dole til they are of retirement age? :?

so keep voting for change until we get a political party which listens to the people.

The problem is that "the people" speak with many and mostly differing voices. :wink:

We are talking about the man in the street, not politicians,Paul. :wink:

No I was talking about the man in the street, or should I say on the doorstep, Peter. You would be amazed by the variety of comments and opinions expressed. :wink::)

I said I would vote for whoever took the trouble to knock on my door, I am now voting Jehovah's Witness.

:lol::lol: You not had anyone from the main parties knock either then. All a bit odd eh.

What worries me is if people stay away from voting from the main 3 and vote for an outsider just to be different. We've apparently got a UKIP and Green person standing for the MP seat round here in the South and there's not even been a leaflet through the door for either of them let alone door knocking.... god help us if they get elected as if they cant be bothered to canvas for support they certainly wont be bothered to help with local issues. :roll::?

Diz: canvassing etc requires manpower, which small Parties and Independents don't have, even telephone canvassing requires supporters and money; which may be available to a sitting MP through expenses or a rich benefactor like Lord Ashcroft. :shock: Sue: if you want a flavour of the scenario for the UK, just look at Greece - where I believe even existing public service wages and pensions have been cut - so no wonder they're marching in the streets. :shock:

Diz: canvassing etc requires manpower, which small Parties and Independents don't have

Surely one leaflet is not expecting too much.... I'm sure they have legs and friends who can help out :D

But saying you are of course right as there is such a large area to cover if you are standing as an MP rather than just in a Local election.

Anyway... to make up for it I have had 5 leaflets through the door in one go today from the Lib Dems. Usual conflicting twaddle but a very nice personally hand written letter from Jo Crotty on blue paper in a nice little blue envelope... well as personalised as coloured photocopying goes anyway :roll::lol::wink:

Also an A3 folded Focus special with a centre spread saying 'All Across Warrington South.... People like you are voting Liberal Democrat.'

People like me eh :shock::lol: The 24 people named and individually photographed with Miss C are all Lib Dem Councillors :lol::lol: So nothing like me at all then :roll:

If nothing else their leaflets do make me smile :D

I said I would vote for whoever took the trouble to knock on my door, I am now voting Jehovah's Witness.

:lol::lol: You not had anyone from the main parties knock either then. All a bit odd eh.

What worries me is if people stay away from voting from the main 3 and vote for an outsider just to be different. We've apparently got a UKIP and Green person standing for the MP seat round here in the South and there's not even been a leaflet through the door for either of them let alone door knocking.... god help us if they get elected as if they cant be bothered to canvas for support they certainly wont be bothered to help with local issues. :roll::?

Wish we had a UKIP in the north, I'm stuck with voting for the Independent chappie from Burtonwood.

Anyway, it's funny, I was just thinking I hadn't see a single canvasser so far from any party, and then this thread popped up.

So why are the main parties not even bothering anymore?

Round here it's never ending Lib Dem and Conservative leaflets through the door and 2 Labour ones.

Funny old world as I wish we had an Independent standing round here cos I'd vote for them. Maybe we could swap :lol:

Round here it's never ending Lib Dem and Conservative leaflets through the door and 2 Labour ones.

Funny old world as I wish we had an Independent standing round here cos I'd vote for them. Maybe we could swap :lol:

Oh tons of leaflets, just not a candidate to be seen anywhere.

There is an Independent running against Burnham in Leigh and he is certainly putting the effort in, one of his colleagues is trying to shift Lord Smith the leader of Wigan Council from his Ward and I am imnpressed with both their campaigns.

Not seen an MP wannabe, only the local LibDem bloke running for re-election. He's not getting my vote even if he knocks here with flowers and chocolates. Even by local politician standards, which are usually lower than a snake's gusset in my opinion, he is a stupendous under-achiever. :roll:

Flowers and chocolates... :D well if it was me I would take his kind offerings and promise to vote for him as no-one has given me F&C's for ages.

It would of course be a 'false promise' .... and I'm sure he would understand... what goes around comes around :lol::wink:

Just decided to read all the election leaflets that have come through my door over the past week. (Warrington South area)

Anyone else noticed the oddities with the 'who can win here' graphs for the prospective MP's in their area.... ie Warrington North and Warrington South 8):lol:

Parties aside, I think I may have to vote for a politician honest enough to promote himself as Bent...... :lol:

Looking locally, I will vote for the person I think will do the best job locally, which usually has little to do with party politics. Of the choices open to me, there is one lady who has been active in a lot of local matters, so she'll probably get my vote.

The trouble with voting for those "most likely to do things for the local area" is the fact that once they get into the Town Hall, they are the lowest of the low when it comes to their respective parties; which means they have to toe the party line....

Independants should be all that is available for the local elections, not career politicians or those with higher asperations like Crotty.

Parachuted into Bewsey from Birmingham as a local (Local as in Bewsey) councillor; who then spends more time getting photographed pointing at dog poo or telling everyone she stopped a prison being built on a patch of ground that wasn't even in her area.

Local people; either from or long term residents of the areas concerned should be elected to serve on the council, not those who just happen to have a flat of convenience in a particular area.

Indeed, Baz. Unfortunately as at least one local resident, lived here decades, raised my kids here, vote for me, has turned out to be a total waste of space after we did vote for him, that's not perfect either.

My main problem is a basic belief that anyone who wants the job is automatically not the right kind of person to do the job. With a handful of exceptions at any level, the very qualities that draw votes are the ones that result in no achievements. No idea how we get round that one....

Proliferation of Tory leaflets (one per voter, I hear, not one per household) may be down to the latest ?22,000 donation.

http://registers.electoralcommission.org.uk/files/dms/Q1-2010-Donations_30577-22761__E__N__S__W__.pdf (page 50)

Now, Paul, is that from Lord Ashcroft, or Mr Mowat's own millions? I know it's illegal to buy votes, but it's a bit disturbing if a rich candidate can just outspend rivals on campaign materials.

I'm sick of having Lib-Dem leaflets through the door. Talk about desperation. It says that Crotty is certain to win BUUUT you must vote for her.

One thing that has crossed my mind, is what experience have they got on the higher platform of Westminster and the world stage?

A vote for a Party candidate, is a vote for that party, all you get is an automaton who walks through the lobbies as instructed by their whips. If you really want an "Independent", you have to vote FOR an Independent. :roll:

Oh yeah, cos an independent with no previous experience and a set of policies completely out of step with everyone except his fifty Facebook friends is GUARANTEED to be my best option. I would vote for an independent if said independent was the best person for the job. I don't care about party politics at local level, because I really don't think any of the main parties has a policy when it comes to Walton Hall, public lavatories in rural areas or how many chippies you can open in one small village before you need bigger litter bins!

Proliferation of Tory leaflets (one per voter, I hear, not one per household)

Well we are definately only getting one conservative leaflet per household and not per voter (Warr South)... I moaned about it on here some time ago as they are always addressed to my other half as have been the couple of labour leaflets... and I never get any so presumed my vote wasn't too important :cry::lol:

Doesn't really matter as I read his post anyway. :wink:

The Lib Dems send me stuff though and don't send it to him