Should relegation be restored to Super League?

Gary

Should relegation be restored to Super League?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Should relegation be restored to Super League?

• Yes
    • No

It should be brought back for me, teams such as Widnes, Leigh and even Halifax have a good enough pedigree for the SL.... Catalans, Celtic and Harlequins shouldn't be and don't deserve to be in our league.

The RFL bailed out Harlequins a few season ago yet penalised Widnes for going into administration when appealing for a licence... Salford have a shocking ground and quite a poor team yet Leigh who done there up most best to get a new ground were told no.

Either bring back relegation or if not then make the licensing process fair.

When you lie down with dogs then you get fleas. We sold our soul to SkyTV and they now call the shots. As long as they are involved in the game promotion / relegation won't ever come back. For the forseeable future we're stuck with a franchise sytem..Like it or lump it. I can see in a few years time the same thing will happen to soccer throughout Europe... A pan-European franchise will be introduced and Sky will skim off the top four clubs from the main European leagues...UK France Spain Germany and Italy...A nice neat number of clubs...20.

Yes I think it should definitely be brought back it would give teams in the Championship something to play for and would be a good spectacle for supporters.

I think it could be good to see 1 team from the championship go up with the bottom of supper league automatically relegated. Then maybe have the second to bottom team in super league have a playoff game with the runners up in the championship, winner stays/goes up.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't follow RL at all, never have and probably never will..... however I find it amazing that you can have a league structure where there is no threat of relegation and nothing to look forward to in winning the league below the Super League!!

Who thought up that idea? someone who supported a crap team?

The sport has a franchise system and is more or less owned by SkyTV who make demands that matches should be played in bright shiny new stadiums. Both Castleford and Wakefield are under a lot of pressure to build new stadiums to replace their present stadiums which were built before any of us were born. If they don't they have been issued with veiled threats that they may not receive a franchise next time around. If they do go ahead with new stadiums it will probably bankrupt both clubs. I'm an old flatulent who is in favour of promotion and relegation but I'm a dying breed. The modern fan talks endlessly about business plans, salary caps and future projections. I started watching the game decades ago in Winter,in the pouring rain, smoking Woodbines and eating meat pies. I loved every minute of it. The last thing any of us thought about was a business plan.

On Sunday I was amazed that Batley v Widnes drew over 8,000 to Blackpool.

Maybe that says something...as in,if there is something at stake or it's a bit of an occasion then crowds will roll up.

Imagine key promotion games featuring Halifax/Leigh/Widnes/Featherstone/Barrow etc and the crowds they would generate,let alone the relegation battles in SL oh well maybe as Safe's says it's a case of "He who pays the piper call's the tune"and sky certainly do that.

And The RL "Sold their Soul"to sky a long time ago

Pan.jpg

On Sunday I was amazed that Batley v Widnes drew over 8,000 to Blackpool.

Maybe that says something...as in,if there is something at stake or it's a bit of an occasion then crowds will roll up.

Imagine key promotion games featuring Halifax/Leigh/Widnes/Featherstone/Barrow etc and the crowds they would generate,let alone the relegation battles in SL oh well maybe as Safe's says it's a case of "He who pays the piper call's the tune"and sky certainly do that.

And The RL "Sold their Soul"to sky a long time ago

Pan.jpg

My Brother in law and nephew are Chemics (Vikings) and probably didn't enjoy my come on batley Bulldogs chants on the even of their big game.

Over 8,000 at this and 2,000 at Salford for a top Super League game :roll:

Is it me or is the Super League's Business plan a little flawed? :oops:

Bring back promotion and relegation - a sthe syaing goes competition is healthy!

• 5 weeks later...
I don't follow RL at all, never have and probably never will..... however I find it amazing that you can have a league structure where there is no threat of relegation and nothing to look forward to in winning the league below the Super League!!

Who thought up that idea? someone who supported a crap team?

Like Baz, never been any sort of Rugby fan, but this two division no promotion nonsense is a terrible idea.

• 9 months later...

Looking at this months crowd figures for all the leagues tells me something is very wrong with the current set up.

But I am not holding my breath that things will change anytime soon.

The powers that be can't be in touch with the real world or they would surely sort out this apathy that has crept into our sport.

Anonymous-Wake-Up-and-Smell-the-Coffee-413280.jpg