so did the live TV debate do it for you?

Gary

woke up from my siesta half way through it, thought from the bit I saw and the following coverage on the news, that I hadn't missed much - however, trying to be objective: I thought Gordon won by a whisker tonight, having come from a level of low expectation, Nick suffered a reverse in expectation, and Dave seemed basically to be trying to bluff his way through with opportunism - sort of, a man and two boys scenario. But what is annoying are the antics of the media, whereby the electorate are being sucked into the belief that they will actually be voting for a PM rather than their own MPs, and the cult of personality and presentation is obscuring forensic scrutiny of the various Party policies. :roll:

As for voting for a PM, of course there is a huge section of the population that would vote for a PM.... how do you think Bliar got in back in 97?

The reason why there has always been so much hostility towards Brown is the fact that the same section of the populous felt cheated when Bliar promised he would serve the full third term and ran his election campaign on that premise and then got forced out by Brown; a leader nobody wanted

I think that's very true Baz, Brown was perceived as getting the leadership by the back door, and certainly other parties worked hard at pushing for an election back then. I don't have a lot of time for any politician, but I do have to be honest, I preferred Brown to Blair, simply on the basis that I always felt Tony cared far too much about being liked, which is not a good basis for that job! :lol:

Baz, we don't have a Presidential system; each voter votes for their local MP; the majority of MPs then forming a Government with a Leader THEY have chosen as a Party. Now the perverse nature of this X-factor stunt is this: Clegg has suddenly become the dream ticket, with (according to the polls) popular support; BUT, when folk are asked whether they agree with LibDem policies on an amnesty for illegal immigrants or closer integration into the EU - they give a resounding NO - SO, there is a stark contradiction between policy and personality, which may dawn on some when the actually come to put their cross on the ballot paper. :?

Obs, you are right, we dont have the presidential style of voting over here; which is just as well. Can you imagine if we had the same kind of thing? Imagine Dot Cotton as mayor of London, or David Tennant as president!!!

But you ask people who they voted for back in 1997 and if they voted Labour, they would probably say they voted for Tony Bliar rather than say Labour..... just an observation; I thought you would have seen that! :lol:

I've not watched a second of them on the basis that I know l the answers off pat before they open their gobs. Neither have I read a word of the election coverage in the 6 or 8 full pages printed in the broadsheet newspaper I read every day. It's too predictable...My minds made up how I'll vote...Not for the Scottish Mafia or Lord Snooty and his Eton Chums..but for the Lib Dems, particularly now I've found out Nick Clegg likes a ciggie.

Hmm Nick Clegge, son of a banker (hmmm we don't like them do we?!!) and a teacher (a bit millitant for me!) Born in Chalfont St Giles.... sounds a bit posh to me, Educated first at Caldicott School (current fees about ?5000 a term) then to the Westminster School in London (Current fees are ?10,000 a term for boarders and then to Robinson College, Cambridge.

A real down to earth sort of chap then eh??

They are all no better than each other. Even Bliar went to Fettes; which is one of the best and poshest universities in Scotland so they all come from a "better" educated and posher background than the likes of you and me.....

But just remember, vote Clegge and get another dose of Brown!!

Well there is a Party that will tick all your boxes Baz - it launched it's manifesto in St George's Day! Perhaps one box they won't tick - they plan to bring smoking rooms back to our pubs - those remaining anyway! :wink: But among their selection: return capital punishment: penal colonony on S.Georgia for long term/dangerous prisoners: immediate deportation for all illegal immigrants: scrapping of HR Act: exiting the EU: troops back from Afghanistan: community service in return for long term dole: redundancies for all Gov PC jobs: cuts in overseas aid: savings on all global warming generated Gov scams: etc! :wink:

Obs, if only those policies you list were pushed by the Tories...... Unfortunately, even they have gone soft on every policy issue since the 80's.

It is blindingly apparent that the liberal elite have infiltrated all of our main political parties and are spreading their own brand of politically correct claptrap and bile.

As for the policies you list;

return capital punishment:

penal colonony on S.Georgia for long term/dangerous prisoners: immediate deportation for all illegal immigrants:

scrapping of HR Act:

exiting the EU:

troops back from Afghanistan:

community service in return for long term dole:

redundancies for all Gov PC jobs: cuts in overseas aid:

savings on all global warming generated Gov scams

I doubt if anyone on here (with the exception of our own liberal, toga wearing softie; Kije) could see them as bad policies; it is the other beliefs and policies of the BNP which let them down.

Well I've been telling you about the penetration of the PC luvvies into every aspect of of our mainstream politics and other institutions for some time Baz - glad you now see it. However, I suggest you visit the BNP website and actually view their policies, before taking the anti-lobby proganda on their views. They have now complied with "the law" and ammended their constitution to make membership open to all British subjects; and watching their TV party political slot tonight - I didn't detect anything that ordinary working class folk in this country would disagree with. :wink: