Air traffic disruptions

Eagle

Carbon? As I understood it, the problem with flying is that the volcanic particles contain silica and the heat of the engines will melt that into glass, which will stick to the blades and stop the engine. Is there much of a carbon issue? I thought carbon was pretty much an organic thing, hence produced by fossil fuels because they used to be alive...... :? any chemists amongst us?

I do know that some volcanic eruptions produce clouds of sulphur dioxide gas that can kill anything that breathes.... :shock:

Fine form Eagle! :lol:

Had a call from my wife (She is out in Perth, Austrailia sorting out a new office...... !!) her flight has been cancelled tomorrow night by Emirates because Dubai won't let any planes land if the ongoing leg of the journey is affected by the ash!!

She is now booked on the Monday and Tuesday flights just in case either don't fly!

Wish she would hurry up back though; the sink is full!! :lol:

Apparently (according to the scientists), this could last months, and if the wind direction remains = no flights. It's costing the airlines ?squillions and now they're predicting shortaged of imported fruit and veg - so perhaps the arguement for self sufficiency will now begin to be heard? :roll:

I seem to remember a few years ago that we had sand all the way from the Sahara Desert but it didn't ground the planes. Considering sand is the basis for glass can any of you scientists explain it ?

Volcanic ash is hard, does not dissolve in water, is extremely abrasive and mildly corrosive, and conducts electricity when wet wherehas sand flies :roll::roll::wink:

You've been on wikipeedo too then :lol:

It also says that.......... (cut and pasted cos I am not good with science :oops: )

"Volcanic ash is made up of tephra (pulverised rock and glass)

Very fine volcanic ash particles (particularly glass-rich if from an eruption under ice) sucked into a jet engine melt at about 1,100 ?C, fusing onto the blades and other parts of the turbine (which operates at about 1,400 ?C). They can erode and destroy parts, and cause jams in rotating machinery. Ash can also "blind" pilots by sandblasting the windscreen requiring an instrument landing, damage the fuselage, and coat the plane so much as to add significant weight and change balance. In addition, the sandblasting effect can damage the landing lights, making their beams diffuse and unable to be projected in the forward direction. Propellor aircraft are also endangered. Accumulation of ash can also block an aircraft's pitot tubes. This can lead to failure of the aircraft's air speed indicators. The effect on the operation of a jet engine is often to cause it to cut out?failure of all a plane's engines is not uncommon. "

However there are nicer things that happen due to volcanic ash in the atmoshphere such as spectacular sunsets

....and it can also cause "Bishop's Ring" :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry but Iam still laughing... time to go :oops::lol:

On the plus side of things, we've had some of the clearest skies I can remember with none of the usual con trails. I've just been outside looking at the night sky and spotting satellite during a no fly period is so easy! If it moves it's not a plane!

Bill :)

Had a call from my wife (She is out in Perth, Austrailia sorting out a new office...... !!) her flight has been cancelled tomorrow night by Emirates because Dubai won't let any planes land if the ongoing leg of the journey is affected by the ash!!

She is now booked on the Monday and Tuesday flights just in case either don't fly!

Wish she would hurry up back though; the sink is full!! :lol:

Crikey Baz couldn't you have gone with Mrs Baz, Kennedy family went there for a holiday 6 years ago....best holiday we've had, great place.