Priorities?

observer

So, in the past, the genetically weak were weaned out, by nature, at birth or shortly after? :?

Basically. Still is that way in less developed countries. Meanwhile in the Western world, we have the money and technology to salvage or prolong most lives to some degree, even if it means limited lives, huge expense and no dignity at all. The instinct to ensure survival of the species is, ironically enough, what is weakening our gene pool at entry level and stretching our resources at the exit points. Of course, the point at which anyone thinks a person should be left to just die depends upon how closely related they are to said person.

The debate seems to have gone astray somewhat. (should that be ashtray :lol: )

I think we need to keep a sense of perspective re second-hand smoke because the way I see it is that a burning cigarette is not a lot different than a garden compost fire but where a microscopic amount of plant leaves are being burnt.

If someone want?s to make it illegal to smoke outside in an open space purely on the basis that children may catch the odd whiff of tobacco smoke, then how would they class someone who lights a small garden fire or even worse, takes their kids to a firework display? In comparison, this is attempted mass murder but because cigarette smoke not involved it?s all deemed ok.

Question. Is it acceptable to smoke a cigarette at a bonfire party? :roll:

Bill :)

A Lancaster University study shows 1 in 7 young people have Asthma which is exacerbated by air pollution caused by traffic fumes.

Whilst I don't think that smoking could ever be classed as a particularly healthy pastime I think the most predominant factor in asthma, lung disease/cancer and cardio vascular disease is probably traffic fumes and other air pollution.

If smoking were the major factor the number of cases of lung cancer etc would have fallen at the same rate as smoking has decreased.

First they came for the smokers - and I said nothing; then they came for the drinkers - and I said nothing; then they came for the junk food eaters - and I still said nothing; now they're coming for the sun bed users! :wink: and just a thought - we're extending all these lives, so they can grow old and infirm, and become a burden to those that follow. :shock::?

A Lancaster University study shows 1 in 7 young people have Asthma which is exacerbated by air pollution caused by traffic fumes.

Whilst I don't think that smoking could ever be classed as a particularly healthy pastime I think the most predominant factor in asthma, lung disease/cancer and cardio vascular disease is probably traffic fumes and other air pollution.

If smoking were the major factor the number of cases of lung cancer etc would have fallen at the same rate as smoking has decreased.

Very interesteing point there Sha

Although like you say there are many more cars on the roads these days how about all the other pollutants and chemicals going into the air we all breath daily from the many day to day products we all use such as deodorants, household cleaners, perfumes, washing powders, soaps etc .... I could go on and on....... :?

In addition to those what about all the processed foods and never ending 'E' numbers and preservatives that now appear in nearly everything we eat that that isn't fresh, and even fresh is often chemically treated in one way or another :?

Research over the years has shown that many of these can cause health problems so maybe the lot should be banned

As for today's cigarettes and tobacco products there are probably far more chemicals and substances added to them than were actually present years ago.

Ban everything and we may all survive :shock:

So we're moving into a similar arguement to the global warming one - with umpteen possible suspects for increased levels of asthma - they latch onto one, to justify their bans. And when the health facists have finished, and we're all living long enough to become a dribbling wrinkly in an EPH, all the money they've saved on NHS treatments will presumably be shifted to elderly care?! :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I don?t know if any others saw the program on telly last night about children?s heath issues. I only saw a small part of it but found it unbelievable that a nurse was allowed without question to directly attribute all kinds of ailments to parents that smoke.

Referring to a young boy suffering with glue ear, she said it was most likely due to the fact his father smoked however having suffered this myself and done considerable reading up on the subject I?ve never come across any facts that explain how this is at all possible.

When the child said that his father never smokes in the house, she told him that that didn?t matter and that his father was still dangerous for at least two hours after he?d smoked a cigarette. Now I?m no expert but this seems to be pushing the bounds of credibility to the extreme.

Bill :)

Heard this one mentioned on the news Bill; and thought, well most of my generation grew up in "smoking" housholds and suffered less from these ailments, and now with fewer smoking housholds we seeing an increase. :? Sounds like that nurse was talking way above her pay grade! :wink:

how come they never have a go at the farmers about hay fever :wink:

Maybe because hay fever isn't caused by hay or farmers Peter it's caused by pollen and spores from a variety of sources including trees, grasses, plants etc and also some fungi and moulds :wink::P

Areas of high air pollution can actually make hay fever symptoms seem worse that in the more rural areas where you would expect higher pollen counts and a more severe reaction.... research shows that this is possibly due to various vehicle emissions and other airborne 'oddities' which are making people more susceptible to various allergens in the air.

Hay fever has only become common over the last 100 years but maybe that's because people before this time just got on with having the odd itch and sniffle and didn't class it as a being such a terrible and 'debilitating' illness :wink::lol:

Better than talking about the elections eh :lol::wink:

I saw that programme too Bill, and, not only did she claim that the father shouldn't go near his child for two hours after smoking, he should also shower and change his clothes. All a bit past credibility if you want my opinion (which is, of course, invaluable me being an ex smoker :wink: ) :shock::shock:

how come they never have a go at the farmers about hay fever :wink:

Maybe because hay fever isn't caused by hay or farmers Peter it's caused by pollen and spores from a variety of sources including trees, grasses, plants etc and also some fungi and moulds :wink::P

:

Townies don't rationalise like that, hence my question. Farmers atre blamed for everything that happens in the countryside. :P:wink:

It's actually called 'allergic rhinitisis' and the common name hay fever came about because the symptoms would often start during the hay harvesting season when all the other grass, tree and plant pollens were also in the air.

However... hay does actually make me sneeze but that's because it's dusty and has bits of pollen trapped in it I guess....and is often found near horses :lol::wink: