lynnl

co-op hall on winwick st

Do know that it was a Greenhall pub between the two sides the Tetley brewery. Always made me chuckle that did.

Thinking on it i wonder if Greenhall kept it going out of a mischievous streak to have a dig at Tetleys, "a brewery with a rival breweries pub almost in it's grounds" does sound rather like a clever marketing ploy.

• Haha 1

I could be wrong on this but I think the Three Pigeons right at the end of Dallam Lane was the pub with historic links to the railway. Seem to recall that it may have been the booking office for the railway before it became a pub.

Bill 😊

Correct Bill . Apparently ,that was the terminus of the Warrington/Birmingham Railway ,forerunner of the WCML. Later on it was replaced by Bank Quay.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Bill said:

I could be wrong on this but I think the Three Pigeons right at the end of Dallam Lane was the pub with historic links to the railway. Seem to recall that it may have been the booking office for the railway before it became a pub.

Bill 😊

The booking office window is still there and clearly visible.(part of the toilets now).Even in 1967 there was a railway track going past the side of the pub.And a level crossing gate to stop any traffic on Tanners Lane.Although I don't know if the line was actually in use,if it was it may have been something to do with the massive British Steel plant on Dallam Lane.