co-op hall on winwick st

lynnl

Do know that it was a Greenhall pub between the two sides the Tetley brewery. Always made me chuckle that did.

Thinking on it i wonder if Greenhall kept it going out of a mischievous streak to have a dig at Tetleys, "a brewery with a rival breweries pub almost in it's grounds" does sound rather like a clever marketing ploy.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Bill said:

I could be wrong on this but I think the Three Pigeons right at the end of Dallam Lane was the pub with historic links to the railway. Seem to recall that it may have been the booking office for the railway before it became a pub.

Bill 😊

The booking office window is still there and clearly visible.(part of the toilets now).Even in 1967 there was a railway track going past the side of the pub.And a level crossing gate to stop any traffic on Tanners Lane.Although I don't know if the line was actually in use,if it was it may have been something to do with the massive British Steel plant on Dallam Lane.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My wife is quite small and even when well into our twenties, she would often be asked about her age while out for a drink.

While I was living in the USA, I always thought it looked odd to see groups of young adults hanging about on street corners due to the age limit being strictly enforced at 21. 

Bill :)

The favourite"IN" pubs back in 1968 for young customers were The Lion. The Feathers and The Britannia ;The Lion was supposed to be the best but the Walkers beer never agreed with me(gave me indigestion/heartburn)  so I chose The Britannia as Greenalls beer was in my mind much better.

And for the Greasers it was The Vulcan on Dallam Lane 🏍️  post-8330-0-00594600-1360502433.jpg

Image result for Greenalls Brewery. Size: 195 x 160. Source: www.ebay.comImage result for Greenalls Brewery. Size: 193 x 160. Source: brookstonbeerbulletin.com

See the source image

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

Unfortunately, I didn’t do that much drinking back then mainly because of family commitments and being permanently skint which meant I had to work part time in the evenings.  But every so often I’d join with my mates on the pub crawl where we’d attempt half a pint in every pub from the Rodney down to the Packet House. I seem to remember it involved drinking about eight pints in total but eventually we got banned from the last pub for repeatedly being too drunk and throwing up all over the place.

Yep I’ve always been a risk taker and that’s probably why I drank Greenalls as well. My locals at the time were the Jolly Tanner on Statham Avenue or slightly further afield but nicer, the Blackburn Arms on Orford Green. The lack of getting legless in my younger days didn’t do me much harm and might account for why I can only manage a couple of beers now. :(

Bill 😊

We always found the Lion was that loud the music was carp ,we used to sometimes go in the Roebuck & have scintillating conversations with the Sally Army War cry sellers. We got barred from the Packet House when one of the gang dissed the landlord's ale....the landlord, however, was a champion of the beer's quality & was adamant that he had passed it himself. The Royal Oak & Seven Stars were also on the itinerary.

• Upvote 1

After having toured both  Tetley and Greenhall breweries as a lad i have never drank Greenhalls beer since.

The bowling green was usually a safe bet for me as a youngster as well as what is now villagio. very noisy disco round the back and dark so not too many questions asked by the staff.

After i started work the noggin at dinner times and as i had a motorbike then it was quick to get there from risley.

Weekends it was any pub we could walk into without being challenged. (Mind you the long hair and a beard you could hide a chicken in helped there)

Surprising the amount of beer you can drink when you are young without getting falling down drunk, and still managed to walk home eating a foot long hogie from the van at central station. (mind you we did regret that decision every Saturday morning, but every Friday night we still ate one on the way home.

• Upvote 1

After I was done waiting on tables at the Labour club, if I got enough tips, I used to go to the Nightspot club on Mersey Street for a late pint and something to eat. Other than that, “Heavy Night” at Carlton was another favourite for a bit of head banging then a big hogie on the way home. Happy days.

Bill 😊

Must be an age thing as I can’t really remember how the beers back then actually tasted. Maybe Double Diamond was an exception as that was one of the first heavily processed beers and even had the nickname of “Chemic” probably due to the preservatives used. I quite liked it but it seemed to loose favour when the lagers started appearing.

These days in lockdown I’ve tried a whole assortment of bottled beers and the best so far and by a country mile has been Marston’s 61 Deep but finding the stuff on the shelves is near impossible. The only place I’ve ever come across this is at Asda Birchwood and even then you’re lucky if there’s any left.

Bill 😊

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Must be an age thing as I can’t really remember how the beers back then actually tasted. Maybe Double Diamond was an exception as that was one of the first heavily processed beers and even had the nickname of “Chemic” probably due to the preservatives used. I quite liked it but it seemed to loose favour when the lagers started appearing.

These days in lockdown I’ve tried a whole assortment of bottled beers and the best so far and by a country mile has been Marston’s 61 Deep but finding the stuff on the shelves is near impossible. The only place I’ve ever come across this is at Asda Birchwood and even then you’re lucky if there’s any left.

Bill 😊

Double Diamond was a rip off.

I remember it was 2s 6p 

While Mild was only 1s 9p and Bitter 2s 0p ... these are very early 70's prices

Mind you the price comparison site says today 2s 6p was £1.95 at todays prices and 2s 0p £1.56 and 1s 9p £1.37 at 1971 prices so a bargain looking back.

Historic inflation calculator: how the value of money has changed since 1900 | This is Money

That's right but to be fair you never got a bad pint of it unlike Greenall's which varied all over the shop. My wife still thinks a pint of bitter only cost two bob. When we get over this, a pint of JW Lees bitter down at my local the Rope and Anchor in Woolston cost £2.60 which is more expensive for the same beer served at the London Bridge in Stockon Heath. Who'd have thought that?

Edit Just thinking, it might be £3,60, it's been that long since I had a pint :(

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Edit Just thinking, it might be £3,60, it's been that long since I had a pint :(

More like it Bill .......

Not many pubs sell under£3.20 these days 🍺

But maybe after lockdown ends they may have to trim prices to get folk back in

As peoples habits now have changed and maybe the pub will not be as popular as  in days past..

Which is a blessing or curse who knows ? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Latchford Locks said:

More like it Bill .......

Not many pubs sell under£3.20 these days 🍺

But maybe after lockdown ends they may have to trim prices to get folk back in

As peoples habits now have changed and maybe the pub will not be as popular as  in days past..

Which is a blessing or curse who knows ? 🤔

th?id=OPE.b%2bnnC8obauYsHQ300C300&w=160&h=220&rs=1&pid=21.1One pint of Stella in Town centre pub £3.80

Image result for carton stella cans 10 cans at local coop £9.95

Many people will have learnt from lockdown of massive price difference,