Need to know?

observer

It would have been best for all concerned if the young killer had been returned to prison quietly without publicity. What he did was evil, is still evil and will always be evil but the media's usual salacious reminiscing serves no useful purpose.

I agree with you, but I rather sense that somebody within the prison system has leaked the story....hopefully money has not changed hands.

we need to know what the sick twisted evil person has done (polite version) what he did to james back in 93 was horrific and any normal person could not have thought of such disguisting things to do to anyone let alone a 2 year old child every killer in the world deserves to hung drawen and quartered.

they keep saying that it is in the best interest of justice for us not to know but what about james' mother wheres the justice there aye? she is not going to get her son back is she? and for the do gooders out there saying he has a right to be protected he lost any civilised rights when james died he is sick twisted person and doesn't deserve to walk the streets. British police and goverment are to soft we need to toughen up on criminals and issue tougher sentances

Can't quite see what "right to know" the Bulger woman has.; her tradgedy is over and finished - end of. The reason we don't need "to know" and should cease speculation, is the simple fact, that such comment can compromise any future trial for Venebles or is it Damein Thorn now?! :roll:

Can't quite see what "right to know" the Bulger woman has.; her tradgedy is over and finished - end of. The reason we don't need "to know" and should cease speculation, is the simple fact, that such comment can compromise any future trial for Venebles or is it Damein Thorn now?! :roll:

"her tragedy is over and finished" How anyone can think that is completely beyond me! Losing someone through illness or an accident is bad enough losing someone needlessly through murder and knowing how that person suffered must be the most difficult thing in life to cope with. Then knowing that the person who did the crime got off with just a few years!

To the victims family it will never ever be over and finished, it's them that get the life sentence!!

You also think Obs that we 'don't need to know'. We need to know to check the 'system' is working, which in this case it obviously hasn't been. Whoever assessed Venables as 'reformed and fit to rejoin society' has obviously made one hell of a blunder!!!

Are you really suggesting that we should believe blindly and confidently in a system being efficient when all around us the system either fails or is corrupt?

Personally, I don't care if all he's done is leave gum on a bus seat. Lock the door, lose the key. However, so far, he's been ACCUSED of something. If that something is PROVED and results in charges, he's entitled to a fair trial. Which he can't possibly get if the Press have been shouting the details at everyone beforehand. Silence on the subject is about making sure he doesn't get any loopholes to avoid the consequences of anything he has actually done. I'd expect details to be released in the public interest once the process has ended.

Observer, you're missing the point over Denise Fergus. Knowing won't do her any good, but not knowing will destroy her. I would honestly have thought Jack Straw told her what the accusations were when they met. They both refused to comment on the content of the discussion.

Do we need to know? Well, we do now. If nothing had appeared in the Press, then he'd simply have been returned to prison, punished for whatever he actually did and not let out again afterwards. Now we all know half the story, it has to be told in full.

I see that the Children's Commissioner for England; Maggie Atkinson reckoned that Jamie Bulgers muder was "particulary unpleasant" and that the two scumbag killers should never have been jailed

Seems that she is about as in touch with the public as the rest of the government