All in it together?

observer

A slogan from the last Tory Conference, or Labour's "a fairer Britain" - sheer unadulterated hypocracy? Having bailed out and partly taken ownership of the Banks, the tax-payer appears to be subsidising a disease they just can't get rid of - the bonus culture. Meanwhile, the lowest paid public sector workers, already suffering price rises and now inflation, are being expected to have (in effect) pay cuts. This in a society where the wealth gap has increased beyond anything known in the last 40years. So why can't/won't the main Parties pass emergency restrospective legislation to control the Bankers? And while they're at it, why can't the politicians close the tax loop holes that allow ?billions to be avoided in payments by the super rich? :?:twisted:

Don't be silly Eagle. :)

Global economy Observer and the ability of the wealthy to move "offshore". I notice Switzerland is encouraging UK bankers etc to move there. Personally I have no problems with people earning millions if they are creating real and sustainable wealth and pay their dues in the form of tax and national insurance. Problem is, our bankers are not creating real and sustainable wealth..whereas the likes of Mr Dyson does....just a pity production has moved to Malaysia :wink:

Betting on the money markets and speculating on futures isn't exactly my idea of "producing" anything other than a reliance on a bunch of gangsters who ruin their national economies and then claim to be "too big" to be allowed to fail, and get the Plebs to bail them out - only to carry on with buisiness as usual. Interesting history by Simon Schammer on TV, about the 30s depression in the US, and how FDR rescued their economy with the new deal, which involved some far reaching and sound restrictions and regulation of the Banking Industry; alas, these were removed by Reagan and Clinton, which allowed the latest crash to occur - all that is required to prevent these crashes is a good memory - something that capitalist speculators find inconvenient. :shock:

I think the problem lies in the fact that, unlike most "real" professional people, bankers have no sense of vocation.

Most professionals don't just work for the money - they actually believe they are doing something useful. Bankers are motivated purely by personal gain. If you don't pay them their bonus they will go somewhere else.