Anyone know where Hill Cliffe Hydro was?

polly

and a resident guide dressed as a Roman would clinch it.

Hmmm,now who could we pick for that?Any thoughts?

The Romans have actually been back to Stockton Heath in the past few years and we could ask the bloke below in the black jacket (if anyone recognises him :wink: )....... or I could simply give them a call.... Roman centurians have mobiles these days you know providing the signal is strong.

Dont know wether bottled water would entice them back though but a few pints in the Mullbery Tree or Red Lion works...that's where the rest of the army finished up :lol::wink:

Not suprising really given the size of their of their helmets :lol: :lol:

2006_0305Romans0030.jpg

2006_0305Romans0032-1.jpg

All I can say is that Gary must edit his current photos before uploading as he looks so young. You don't do that do you Gary :shock::lol:

Grey gives a man a more distinguished and important look providing all the hair is still there of course .. or so my other half tells me. :lol:

Wait for the thin comb over stage .... that's just sooooooo funny :lol:

Not suprising really given the size of their of their helmets

They look like fake helmets,at least my bottle was genuine.

Genuine bottle in your eyes maybe :lol::lol:

I've had all of their helmets on my head and their long swords (with safety shields of course) in my hands and believe me they are nothing to joke about. :wink:

How many other people can say they got away with causing a street scene then waving a roman sword around in the local pub surrounded by men in helmets, sandals and smocks and didn't get arrested for it... saying that probably a lot of people these days eh :shock::lol:

Think your onto a winner there Byrdy: Roman Legionaries bathing at Hill Cliff - the Yanks would love it! Perhaps you could get Indy to dig up a bar of soap or a sponge - and we're away! All the local shops could sell stuff with Roman themes and a resident guide dressed as a Roman would clinch it. Seems the Stockton Heath economy has a future - or is it a past?! :wink:

Well it could have had tourist impact, if this Exec board weren't such philistines! :roll::roll::roll:

The Roman road uncovered at the front of the old Stockton Heath Primary was the widest the archeologists had ever seen and they said it was probably a kind of Roman motorway, very rare and now very gone! it was destroyed and the 'tack' school built upon it. :roll::roll::roll:

That site was not just a subsiduary to the Wilderspool development it was a main part of it. Furnaces were uncovered which could have been where the theatre mask (which is in the museum) was fired. This mask is the only one of it's type in the whole of the Roman Empire!

Not only was a beautiful Victorian building destroyed on that site, which contained elements of the Cheshire Arts and Crafts movement, another rarity! but our Roman heritage was destroyed also!

Note how the details of what was actually found on that site have never yet been made public! probably because the importance of that site and what we have lost would have to be aknowledged! and what for? a school that is barely out of special measures, still only satisfactory which parents are continuing to remove their children from! top 'marks' Lib Dems! :roll: :roll: :roll:

It seems we've lost a fantastic opportunity for a tourist trade merely to provide additional pupil places and thus the infrastructure for housing development which will cause further destruction of our remaining green fields! sick!

Wasn't aware you were gifted with inside knowledge Diz; perhaps you could explain from where, aside from local tax payers, or ring fenced grants, all this cash is coming from? :?

Firstly Obs, 'ring fenced grants'

that is certainly an area that needs to be overhauled!

Mass wastage of public funds, spent in areas that don't really need them, whilst other areas which do need funds are going short.

However, there are other funds available where local powers do have a lot of choice. For example, the North West Regeneration funds.

Together with the NWDA our councillors and those of other councils have got together and decided on how the money is to be distributed.

Whilst West Cheshire and Chester have chosen tourism our council has chosen to invest in the Chemical, Nuclear and Waste industries and ever more growth. :roll:

So whilst West Cheshire and Chester get to enhance their environment and provide well paid careers in tourism for their young people we get ever more cr*p in an already over polluted town and our young people get a future in warehouse sweatshops! :twisted:

Wasn't aware you were gifted with inside knowledge Diz; perhaps you could explain from where, aside from local tax payers, or ring fenced grants, all this cash is coming from? :?

Gifted not really.... just know the right things to ask and the right people to question from time to time :wink:

I remember Hill Cliffe Hydro Hotel. My grandmother used to work there. They used to have horse stable there too. Does anyone remember the Payntons? Mr. Paynton was a JP in Stockton Heath and his daughter Bunty used to keep her horse at Hill Cliffe. I found a picture of Hill Cliffe on Flikr photos sharing. Mike Burke I think his name is, posted an old photo of it.

• 3 months later...