Body scanners - oops

asperity

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:roll: No probs if they want to fly and wont adhere to the security measures (which lets face it may be saving their lives too) then just make them have a full pat down followed by a full internal body cavity search and I'm sure they will realise that the body scanner is not so bad after all :wink:

I thought I recalled that in the UK, the Government has said that anybody refusing to be scanned will not be allowed to fly. Can one now assume that as scanning is currently done randomly rather than everybody, that here in the UK random will not be so random afterall, but actually selective.....selectively excluding some folk. :wink:

As a middle aged, married, with children white British born & bred male no doubt when I'm next at the airport I will be randomly selected. :wink::D:D:D .......but then again I do have a surname that could be Irish. :wink::)

PS Given the Koran was written long before powered flight and airport scanners, I rather think the diktat has come from a publicity seeking cleric, who wants to do a bit of stirring....and who might be better spending his time encouraging peaceful coexistance.

Agree with Obs, when in their countries we have to abide by their laws and so they should abide by ours.

Do they not have CT scans etc? with the object being the same, to preserve life, why should airport scans be regarded as any different? if a qualified nurse were to operate the airport scanners there would be absolutely no difference.

Otherwise as Eagle says "no scan no fly"

Sha, welcome to the real world. In Muslim countries non-Muslims have to abide by the laws of the land. In non-Muslim countries Muslims can use the fact that they are Muslim to avoid abiding by the laws of the country by the mere fact that they are Muslim. Clear? No? welcome to the real world :roll::roll::roll::roll:

In Muslim countries non-Muslims have to abide by the laws of the land. In non-Muslim countries Muslims can use the fact that they are Muslim to avoid abiding by the laws of the country by the mere fact that they are Muslim

What criminal law can a muslim get out of in the UK, by using the excuse they are a muslim :?:

How does Islamic law apply anyway. its religious laws which can only be broken by members of that religion.

therefore as long as the person viewing is not Islamic no laws are breached.

If religious laws crossed religions then maybe we should arrest all none Christians ...

commandment 1. you shall have no other lord but me.

even the popes guilty of breaching Christian laws

2."Do not make an image or any likeness of what is in the heavens above..."

apparently for those that believe this religion Jesus is in heaven, as is every other dead person (good ones) ie Mary, angels etc. yet you Christians wear crucifixes with Jesus on, pictures of Mary can all be found in churches ???

Thought their belief system, didn't allow their women to reveal themselves to men other than their husband, hence the wearing of burkas etc. ? Presumably, the answer would be to have men only scanners and women only scanners - presuming the whole debate gets passed the HR legal objection. :?

Quoting exerpts from the BBC report;-

"But the commission said it had "serious doubts" that the decision to roll them out in UK airports was legal.

It said one of its chief concerns was over how people would be selected for the scans".

"Its chairman, Trevor Phillips, said: "The right to life is the ultimate human right and we support the government's review of security policies"

"State action like border checks, stop-and-search and full body scanning are undertaken for good reasons"

[b]"But, without proper care, such policies can end up being applied in ways which do discriminate against vulnerable groups or harm good community relations."[/b]

So the actual procedure of body scanning would not be classed as an infringement of the Human Rights Act.....as it would be done to protect human life.....which is the ultimate human right!

The real issue here is "how people would be selected for the scans" a selection procedure if based on race or religion could be classed as an infringement.

If every passenger were scanned then there is no discrimination.

Perhaps it is the airlines trying to cut costs by only doing selective scanning who would be causing the human rights issue!

I would prefer and feel safer if everyone were scanned even if it meant extra flight costs.

Assuming mass screening is not possible, it would seem reasonable to base such screening on profiling: which would undoubtedly fall on one particular religious group and amplified by their traditional dress. To-date, how many convicted would be suicide bombers have come from the clean shaven, close cropped hair, union jack shorts brigade? :?

Ob's these terrorists have already been known to dress as women etc don't you think they just as easily pose as the 'clean shaven, close cropped hair, union jack shorts brigade'?

Or dupe others to carry explosives for them? how many idiots carry drugs through customs for money? so how difficult would it be to strap a 'parcel' to some fool who believed he was carrying dope for profit?

The only safe solution would be to scan everyone, this may not be cost effective but wouldn't be impossible. Selective scanning would merely be for the benefit of the airline companies to encourage people to continue flying...with a false sense of security.

Airport security is lax enough as it is, I have heard that foreign nationals on whom it is impossible to do CBR checks are still employed at airports, how irresponsible is that?

Sorry, but when it comes to profit v public safety I'd say the fat cats can just cut the cream!