Warrington Walking Day, that age old question.

Sue Durnim

Warrington Walking Day which day is best?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Warrington Walking Day which day is best?

• Keep it on a Friday?
    • Move it to Saturday?
    • Move to a Sunday?

Warrington Walking Day, should it be held on a Friday, Saturday or a Sunday? I have no doubt this question has been asked countless times on this forum.

I have always believed that Warrington Walking Day should be held on a Saturday or a Sunday and not a Friday, there were probably good reasons in the past for it to be so.

The participants i.e. churches, would I am sure would find it easier to organize people to attend the event on a weekend rather than a weekday and maybe not just churches could walk, how about local firms paying to enter a float promoting they company and that fee then going to charity or to the following years event?

Holding this famous event on a Saturday/Sunday for us all to enjoy would no doubt increase the popularity of it and make it a bigger tourist attraction and a family occasion once again, not just for us Warrington folk but for the people far and wide too, thus, bringing in much needed consumers for the Market and shops of the town to boost the economy.

I know most people find it difficult to attend Warrington Walking Day because of work commitments during the week, and I know that people work on a Saturday too but probably far less than a Friday.

I wonder if any WBC staff reading this may get some good ideas and take all the credit and pay rise in their staff suggestion box?

Look forward to reading your replies!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There used to be a walk that the companies did with floats, but they stopped for some reason. They ended up in Victoria Park.

Choice 1. It's another day off for the workers and a problem for employers.

Choice 2. A bad shopping day for the consumer and retailer, but they drunks can sleep it off on Sunday.

Choice 3. Bad day for congregations, and potential day off on Monday with a hang-over, NOT good for businesses.

So would you prefer it to be scrapped altogether then Peter :lol:

Personally I'm not bothered if its on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday as I never go :oops: Don't like it and it's full of drunken idiots who use it as an escuse for a daytime 'bender'. Stockton Heath's Walking day is the same.

Just not like they were in the old days :lol:

Anyway that aside, I can't see any point in changing its day as it's always been on the Friday nearest to July 1st for over 150 years.

Apparently Warrington Walking Day was originally set up to 'dissuade' local parishioners from attending the annual Newton Races..... then it became a tradition. :?:shock:

So would you prefer it to be scrapped altogether then Peter :lol:

Personally I'm not bothered if its on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday as I never go :oops: Don't like it and it's full of drunken idiots who use it as an escuse for a daytime 'bender'. Stockton Heath's Walking day is the same.

I didn't grow up around here, and it means nothing to me.

You have summed it up very well.

Even the Fair is a pain as parking near your house becomes a lottery.

One new age vicar banned the childrens fun day after the WALKS as he said it had nothing to do with Christianity.

He then had the temerity to say there will be a barbeque and Country and Western evening later that night. :shock::shock:

I'm sure we get the dregs that nobody else wants in Warrington.

Appart from that I am with Dissy. Keep it on the traditional Friday. Tradition is important and we should hold on to it.

Dismayed, a carnival probably sounds a better way of describing it.

If the powers that be, got their heads together, you never know.

I could quite easly organise it, give me the money, resources and people will come! From Acorns do ideas grow.

If you leave it to the council they will only get a big wheel and plonk it on the town hall lawn again! What a poor idea and a waste of money that was.

Why would tourists come to Warrington unless they like doing a bit of shopping or drinking of course :?

Saying that the way Warrington is going it may well have a thriving tourist trade in the future.... but not for the right reasons.

Come to Warrington... and see how an area can be ruined and how NOT to do things :lol:

Admit it Sue, you are obsessed with polls. In a couple of generations there is more chance of it disappearing than becoming a tourist attraction.

"Warrington" & "Tourist" aren't usually combined in the same sentence.

Oh I don't know:

Warrington does not have a tourist industry.....yet. :wink::D

Paul

I thought Warrington Borough Council had a Economic Development and Tourism section either at New TownHouse or at the Business Development Centre in Westbrook? Warrington does have a tourist trade if you count Rugby, Museum, Town Centre Shopping, Walton Gardens to name a few. Also doesn't NWDA, courtesy of that well known benefactor 'all things Warrington' aka Mr Broomhead also have a tourism dep' that also invests in tourism in the borough? :wink: