Oh I yeah!....I remember that!

Sue Durnim

I remember tootpaste that was in metal tubes, that were diificult to squeeze to get the last drop of toothpaste out, I also remember drink cans when they were made of tin and without a ring pull and also lucky bags from the sweet shop. Happy Days!

Does anyone who ever got on a bus that went passed Kingsway lights,

remember a concrete boat being built behind where the hairdresser are on Manchester RD, just by the lights, must of been early 70's?

Did that boat ever set sail?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue,

I remember the concrete boat - in fact I was present at the launching.

I was covering the story for the Manchester Evening News.

I seem to recall that the guy who built it was a pilot on the Manchester Ship Canal, or something like that, but I am afraid my memory fails me on the detail. It was certainly launched, but it was still not completed at that time and whether it ever set sail on a proper voyage I do not know. I also seem to think the guy came from Woolston, but I could be wrong. Lot of water flowed down the Mersey since then I am afraid!

was worse if you did not have one of those tin openers and had to resort to other methods, usually a six inch nail and a hammer. that was a case of going outside to open them and have a few glasses handy. i think my record for one of that type of opening was a spout of bitter rising about twelve foot into the air for about ten seconds. :lol::lol::lol:

I remember me and the gang (of very young scallywags) finding a knock-off aluminium beer keg back in the 70's and by turning the keg up-side-down and using a small piece of wood pressing against the valve and then getting showered in beer and by using empty crisp packets as cups to get as much beer as possible to drink, which was very little or non existant, happy days! :)