Oh I yeah!....I remember that!

Sue Durnim

Good,

I thought I had seen you say it somewhere.

I have two photographs of Old Warrington. One is a genuine photo, of post card size. The other is a largish print with lots of text, of which only a few were handed out when the original was taken. I think they would be better in your care if you fancy them. Could be usefull for your archives.

P.M. me if you are interested.

There may be a wee favour you could do for me in return. Concerning putting photo's up on this forum. :wink:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Wingy you are definitely right with Maggie Ireland.

Does anyone remember the Queen's picture house? Used to go there on Saturday mornings to boo the baddies.

Does anyone remember when we used to have plenty of meaningful industry in the town ?

The dark satanic factories.

Byrdy.

The thing that facinates me about old photo's of Warrington, especially if they have people in them like yours has. I can't help looking at the clothes they wore at that time and wonder how they lived and what the inside of their houses looked like. I have a facination with pocket watches. It looks like your Grandfather is wearing a pocket watch and fob.

I have a pocket watch dated 1884. It has a heavy chain with a compass in the form of a ships wheel at one end. The other end bears a minature silver match box. I have been able to trace the original owner and watch maker, and it has a small shield with inscriptions on it. Surprisingly they have little monetary value. Around 60 - 70 quid a throw.

The original owner who has long since passed away, had connections with a Warrington football club. :wink:

Thanks Byrdy, I got it and have replied.

Thought it was owld Boney Obs but I wasn't sure.

Now then how did that song go?

Boney was a warrior wey hey haa

Boney was a warrior Jonn France Whaa

Boney beat the Prussians Wey Hey haa

Boney beat the Prussians John France Whaa

Summat like that anyway :D:D:D

Good job you can't hear me singing it live. 8)8)

Just Google Bombed the corect Lyrics. Wasn't far out was I? :oops::oops::)

Boney was a warrior

Away, a-yah!

A warrior and a terrier

Jean Francois!

Boney fought the Russians

Away, a-yah!

The Russians and the Prussians.

Jean Francois!

Moscow was a-blazing

Away, a-yah!

And Boney was a-raging.

Jean Francois!

Boney went to Elba

Away, a-yah!

Boney he came back again.

Jean Francois!

Boney went to Waterloo

Away, a-yah!

There he got his overthrow.

Jean Francois!

Then they took him off again

Away, a-yah!

Aboard the Billy Ruffian.

Jean Francois!

He went to Saint Helena,

Away, a-yah!

There he was a prisoner,

Jean Francois!

Boney broke his heart and died

Away, a-yah!

Away in Saint Helena

Jean Francois!

Remember it well. Slightly old-fashioned ambience.

Also remember the Queen s cinema. The queue used to stretch back and to up the three aisles; outside and round the back. If it reached the toilets you wouldn't get in.

So easy to pay for the cheapect seats and sneak upstairs past the pictures of Sally Grey etc. (or occasionally to sneak in by the side entrance on the barracks side.)

Happy days

I thought I had an idea of the area this was in. But I'm not so sure now.

My second thought is;

End of Longshaw Street, Dallam end. Up the cinder track that used to be there. Turn left to the canal bridge. Turn right over the bridge and follow the canal bank to the first Locks which was then Dallam Locks.

I'm thinking this is the house but hmmmmm?? The railway line was directly at the back of this lock keepers cottage. This guess "might" be worth exploring a little more if anyone can rememer it.

I don't think I'm too far away.

The first place I was thinking of is:

Go down Hawleys Lane from the Winwick Road end,

Just before Hawleys Lane Bridge, turn right down what was then a wide cinder track before the factory and wharehouses had been built. It brings you to the back of Dallam House Farm. I think the farm was also called Ivy House or Ivy Cottage. So one or the other can't be too far away.

I can't remember the house/cottage in the photograph, but part way down the wide cinder track there was a pile of brick rubble. Possibly this is where the house/cottage was in the photograph?

One of the Warrington tatters used to keep his pony on the derilict site while he lived in a caravan. This site was also very close to the railway track.

I am talking in the 50 - early 60's era.