robocop

More or less efficient?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. More or less efficient?

• More efficient
    • Less efficient
    • No difference
    • Don't know

I have heard that quite a few senior council officers are about to get the bullet as part of ongoing cut backs by the borough council.

With failing services and poor performance (bin collections and road gritting just two recent areas of concenr) will these cut backs make the council more or less efficient?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard that quite a few senior council officers are about to get the bullet as part of ongoing cut backs by the borough council.

With failing services and poor performance (bin collections and road gritting just two recent areas of concenr) will these cut backs make the council more or less efficient?

ROBOCOP

Whatever you have heard, this will only be the tip of the iceberg,

more employees further down the salary grade will also be loing there jobs before the financial year is over, it sounds like more jobs and services will be lost, maybe given to the private sector and then cost the council tax payer more money. I have heard that the council maybe trying to axe at least 20% - 30% of the workforce, not only affects employees but the local economy.

This has been ongoing for some time. The bad news is that services are likely to suffer in some cases. I think their is a "consultation" going on at the moment, so that they can say they have done it.

My concern is that they seem to be going to rely on the Third Sector to fill the gaps and maintain a semblance of the status quo.

I think this is totally out of order.

A volunteer is just that, and NOT a replacement for a paid employee.

Those in charge need to stop making assumptions.

I have heard that the council maybe trying to axe at least 20% - 30% of the workforce

From whom

The figure you quote would equate to 1500 - 2200 staff. :shock:

Paul

30% an exaggeration, 20% will be nearer the mark, and at least 1600 WBC employees will either lose their jobs or be asked to work less hours to claw back lost finances, for example, the recent 53% who got a wage increase with back-pay, however you can never say when you receive reliable information from.

I have heard that the council maybe trying to axe at least 20% - 30% of the workforce

From whom

The figure you quote would equate to 1500 - 2200 staff. :shock:

I obviously can?t divulge where I have got my information from, I do know that quite a few employees got a letter this week (with more staff to receive letters in the coming weeks and months) explaining that their jobs are under review and they have the high possibility of being made unemployed before April 2010.

The next 12 months will be very telling for the staff and services at WBC, with the government cutbacks led by which ever party is in power, we will all suffer, for those in work, unemployed or retired.

[/i]

Especially when WBC monitor this site on how to do their job. :wink:

well they don't listen very hard then do they Peter? :lol:

They listen, but if it doesn't have a tick box it's not a goer.

Rumour going round that the number of tick boxes is being reduced to allow the council to cope better. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

I was with a friend who lives in Swinton today. He had a broken TV he wanted the council to take away. When he phoned them he was told it would cost ?21.50, but they would have to inspect it for elfandsafety reasons first. He agreed to this. This morning TWO officials turned up to inspect the broken TV for elfandsafety reasons. Did they take it with them? Don't be silly, it's not their job, they will send someone with a big truck to do that at a later date. :shock::shock:

I trust Warrington does things a bit more efficiently than this! :lol::lol::lol:

wasn't aware you were a time and motion expert observing Council employees, now whilst some PC jobs may be uneccessary, methinks it's better to pay tax money for something rather than nothing, plus,i f they are in work THEY pay taxes too! :wink:

I think they should be creating jobs not axing them, for the ordinary council employees that is! Some of the higher officer positions are just a drain on funds....but those will be the ones that get retained or will have a niche created in the private sector to offer their 'services' as private consultants.....and probably at a far higher rate than their present earnings!

Isn't this something like what has been proposed for the planning dept?

If the changes are proposed to be implemented by April lets just hope that they can pull the unions in to stall a while, things might look a lot brighter by the end of May!

Think you've hit the nail on the head Sha; as in life generally; it will be the Indians who suffer the knife, rather than the Chiefs - one of the problems being it costs an arm and a leg to get rid of a chief. We've witnessed "economies" in the NHS, and the increased contamination etc that resulted from reduced and "generic" staffing; the fact is, some labour intensive services require intensive labour EG one on one nursing - and as a tax payer, I'd sooner pay them to do that rather than waste a generation on the dole. :roll:

I think they should be creating jobs not axing them

Absolute rubbish, jobs should not be CREATED, if a job is needed it will be done ,if it isn't needed creating it is totally pointless.

The fact that jobs are created at the whim of some overpaid chief this or deputy that is the reason that most Councils are in the sh!te.

Just look around: we've had floods, snow and ice; our sewer infrastructure was built by the Victorians (some by the Romans!), we have a grade 3 rail system compared to most EU countries; we're being told that we'll be short of energy soon etc etc - so loads of scope for usefull employment. In the 30s, Germany was bankrupt with mass uneployment (part of the reason Hitler came to power), they built a complete Autobahn system, but unfortunately built up an Army at the same time - which no doubt reduced the dole queues considerably. Likewise, FDR did the same in the US with the new deal - all with borrowed money. Nowadays they are calling it a "fiscal stimulus" - but the intent is the same - get folk working and paying taxes, and at the same time building a much needed infrastructure to support future economic growth. :shock:

OBSERVER

The points you have raised are common sense to the normal thinking person, but this is the present goverment we are dealing with, it is about time this and future governments invested in the infrastructure of this country, such as railways, canals and energy efficient schemes etc, creating much welcomed employment, instead of throwing money to the wasteful bankers, who might as well invest in on the National Lottery every Saturday.

Any animosity should be directed at national government through the ballot box and not at WBC staff, majority of which work hard and conscientiously to deliver services to the community of Warrington and who are already being penalized by having their wages reduced or frozen or worse the threat of redundancy i.e. support teachers, while they see colleagues around them getting substantial wage increases and back pay from a recent pay award in other departments such as the Chief Executive Dept or Finance Dept to name a few.

I was with a friend who lives in Swinton today. He had a broken TV he wanted the council to take away. When he phoned them he was told it would cost ?21.50, but they would have to inspect it for elfandsafety reasons first. He agreed to this. This morning TWO officials turned up to inspect the broken TV for elfandsafety reasons. Did they take it with them? Don't be silly, it's not their job, they will send someone with a big truck to do that at a later date. :shock::shock:

I trust Warrington does things a bit more efficiently than this! :lol::lol::lol:

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/Environmentandplanning/Recyclingrubbishandwaste/Bulky_Waste.aspx#4

It seems that Warrington probably is more efficient than the example you describe, in so much that I don't think it collects TVs , but rather has collection points for that and other items covered by the WEEE Directive. :wink::)

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/wastemanagement/Electrical_Equipment.aspx