Sign in to follow this  
asperity

Arctic warming

I was only using the car industry as an example Baz :wink: Have alook at you're washing machine or you're telly or even your Pc where were they made

I was only using the car industry as an example Baz :wink: Have alook at you're washing machine or you're telly or even your Pc where were they made

Most electric goods have been made abroad since long before the Chinese came on the scene. Even in the 70's and 80's most TV's were made abroad and even Matchbox cars were made in Macau when I was a kid because I remember asking my Dad where the hell Macau was!!

Unions were the cause of many a failed manufacturing enterprise in this country, along with the Tory Government of the 80's and the illegality of state assistance under EU law to help UK businesses when they needed handouts (didn't apply to the French of course as they bailed out both Citroen and Peugeot on a few occasions I believe)

Business is in business to make profit. Allowing businesses to relocate abroad with no import taxes to discourage them in doing so also nailed the coffin lid firmly closed on UK manufacturing.

I agree Baz

So you agree that paying a fair price for your imported goods would help whats left of British industry and might even help resurrect some dead one as they would be able to compete on even grounds. As long as British goods remain more expensive than imported ones what chance is there, especially as imported goods are artificially low

You really do live in a different world to the rest of us don't you LtKije? People don't go shopping for bananas OR apples,and decide which to buy depending on which is cheaper. They go shopping for bananas AND apples. As for cars, TVs, Freezers etc, other countries don't sell them to us at a loss!! In fact they make a very handsome profit out of it obviously, otherwise there would be no point in them making the things in the first place. Britain was at the forefront of international trade and still makes a lot of money out of it. Becoming isolationist and cutting off trade with the rest of the world would spell the end of this country. (It would stop most of the illegal immigration though :wink: )

Not at all you say? Dream on! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I am not against trade asperity, I just think we should pay the true cost for it that's all, and if we did it would help British Industry and farmers as they would be more able to compete on price.

If as you suggested they taxed the fuel the boat uses to carry my banana, the government would have more money and wouldn?t then need to tax me quite so much. This is excellent news for people that don?t eat but those that do can only hope that the reduced taxation cancels out any rise in the food price. I?ve no problem paying a bit more for my banana if it gives someone better working conditions but that?s really as far as it goes.

If we could grow bananas in England would I eat them? Probably not because they just wouldn?t be as good and this is where you and I probably differ. Having weighed all the facts, I remain unconvinced that reverting back to the kind of food restrictions we endured during the war would have any real effect on the global climate.

Give me a nice ripe banana and I?m happy. You can have the maggot ridden Granny Smith from Penketh! :lol:

Bill :)

I am not against trade asperity, I just think we should pay the true cost for it that's all, and if we did it would help British Industry and farmers as they would be more able to compete on price.

The reason why British industry can't compete on price is because labour costs are higher in this country. Why are labour costs higher? Because we have higher taxation in this country for one thing. Workers in many of the countries we are trying to compete against aren't paying over 50% of their wages to a wasteful government :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Trade is making us money, manufacturing isn't. :wink:

You forgot to mention that transport costs are also subsidised which keeps import prices low, so making the import cheaper. If there was no subsidy they might be able to compete on cost, even if labour costs more over here :wink:

So how much is my banana subsidized by because I'd really like to know? :?

Bill :)

PS

At 38 pence per kilo that's cheaper than British spuds!

You forgot to mention that transport costs are also subsidised which keeps import prices low, so making the import cheaper. If there was no subsidy they might be able to compete on cost, even if labour costs more over here :wink:

I'd be interested to know where you get the idea that transport costs are subsidised, and who exactly is doing the subsidising. I believe this is another one of your sweeping, uncorroborated statements :?:?:?

Lets start with fuel :wink:

You say trade is making us money, I thought we were a net importer, don't you have to sell more than you buy to make money :?:

I'm confused now. Fuel is already counted into the cost I pay. I don't understand unless you mean that we should tax food to take into account the CO2 emissions in its production and transportation?

But then, if you are going to put a tax on imports like bananas to reflect the "true" cost, then don't you have to also put that same tax onto food produced here? It doesn't get teleported to market. It goes via machinery, tractors and trucks that aren't exactly green. Given the small quantities per truck, as opposed to the vast amounts per ship, I'm not sure local would be cheaper per kilo in the end.

Or have I missed something LK? :?

The cost of Banana's in Asda 77p per kg

Can you really move something half way round the world for that, in fact alot less than that, Because out of that the farmer has to make money, the wholesaler, the shipping company and Asda, and they have to move from there docks to store. Yes I know the more you move the cheaper it gets, but how much does the farmer get, are we paying him a fair price, The shipping companies are not paying any fuel tax , it's the same for aviation companies, the price for moving those goods is artificial.

Tesco today - cheapest line bananas ?1.29 a bag. Tesco's Fair Trade bananas ?1.45 a bag. That's the cost of giving the grower the fairest price - pennies.

After the bananas are bought from the grower, they are shipped over and sold to the supermarkets and the importer makes a profit on his costs. The supermarket sells them to me and makes a profit on whatever they paid the importer. That applies to both bags of bananas.

If the grower gets his price and makes his profit, the importer gets his price and makes his profit and Tesco make a profit out of me, where is there anyone subsidising my tasty banana? :?

Lets start with fuel :wink:

You say trade is making us money, I thought we were a net importer, don't you have to sell more than you buy to make money :?:

Fuel isn't subsidised. Where did you get that wierd idea from?

Of course you have to sell more than you buy to make money, but there's more to trade than manufactured goods you know. Britain makes money from service industries. You really do need to do some reading. :roll::roll::roll:

Kije, the banana grower isn't on ?30,000 a year you know. Making 1p from a bunch of bananas may well be a very good price for him.

The cost of Banana's in Asda 77p per kg

Can you really move something half way round the world for that, in fact alot less than that, Because out of that the farmer has to make money, the wholesaler, the shipping company and Asda, and they have to move from there docks to store. Yes I know the more you move the cheaper it gets, but how much does the farmer get, are we paying him a fair price, The shipping companies are not paying any fuel tax , it's the same for aviation companies, the price for moving those goods is artificial.

If what you are saying were true everyone along the chain would be making money apart from the producer who would have to pay the buyer to take the goods off his hands. The cost of sending a 40 foot container from the the UK to China is only around ?100. The economy of scale. Stop making spurious arguments and find out some facts. International trade is what is improving the lives of the poor around the world, not exploiting them. Wake up and smell the coffee. :wink::wink::wink:

Is Nescafe French for free trade? :lol::lol::lol:

Ah thats where the aftertaste comes from :shock::shock:

Merde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: