Arctic warming

asperity

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That figure was given to me by William Everard, former President of the Chamber of Shipping and shipowner. He was telling me how much it cost to ship equipment for his new buildings from the UK to Shanghai. I presume this is the onboard cost and does not include the road transport element which is, obviously, much more expensive. The economy of scale again, a ship can carry several thousand containers while a truck only one. :wink::wink:

Dole an American company, have had more fines for expoiting workers than there are days in a month, did I mention they are one of the biggest banana producers.

We know. We disapprove. What's that go to do with this discussion? We've done the bit about 10p a pound extra to pay the pickers properly. Fyffes have a blanket agreement with all their workers in Belize and every banana they import is Fair Trade. They are also one of the biggest and compete with Dole on price.

You said 77p a kilo couldn't include the cost of shipping bananas here so somewhere down the line they are being subsidised by someone and if that subsidy was removed, local produce would be miles cheaper. All I want to know is who and how much, cos I can't see how that can be true. If it was, then nobody would sell bananas would they? Why go to all that trouble to make a net loss of a quid a kilo. Might as well stay in bed and break even! :?

Why did I ever mention bananas? :lol:

Just to get this debate back on to global warming track, this whole argument now hinges around what we choose to eat. We can?t avoid having to import food because we?re not self-sufficient but should we feel guilty about this or does this make us socially irresponsible in a global warming kind of way?

The idea that people will give up eating bananas in favour of turnip stew might be a global warming protagonist?s dream but we all know such things will never happen. If we as a society can evolve to have a freedom of choice, be it the food we eat of how we choose to travel then I believe we can also evolve to address any issues the future has in store for us..

For me to stop eating bananas, stop using my car, having holidays, or to sit in a cold dimly lit house, I?d have to have a bloody good convincing argument that I?m not wasting my time but so far no such argument has been put forward.

Bill :)

PS Personally I do look at where things come from and if it was the case of choosing between two identical spuds one grown in Cheshire and the other from Argentina I?d go for the local one every time. Nothing to do with global warming, just good old fashion common sense. :wink:

what percentage of our foodstuff is imported. i watched the wartime garden and kitchen on "yesterday" last night and they quoted a figure of around 60% and that was at the start of the second world war.

has it gone up since then and if so how much.

if that is the case then we could never be "self sufficient" unless more land was turned over to farming which will not happen as the eco police would kick up a stink about losing natural habitats and such. :twisted:

Think you'll find that the Government, in the form of Hilary Benn, as finally latched onto this one, and is encouraging increased sustainable use of land for food production. This of course conflicts with the previous EU doctrine of "set aside", whereby farmers were paid to leave land fallow. :roll:

Do you know, that set aside thing and the milk quota thing and the butter mountain thing have always puzzled me. There's just no sense in them for us, as an island. For the mainland, it does make sense to have a uniform market, and OK, stockpiling surplus to maintain steady prices is sort of sensible, but where's the sense in limiting our production so we have to import food and pay more for it, whilst using our tax money to pay farmers to not produce anything?

I bet some bloke thought it up! :lol: