WBC Updates

Paul Kennedy

I have a friend whose husband drives a binwagon, so I called him and he says the binmen all turned in today and were sent home because it wasn't safe to have the trucks out. They've all been told to turn in tomorrow and if conditions allow, they will begin with the collections that should have taken place on Tuesday and do the best they can to catch up.

Can't be helped, can it? Imagine one of those things sliding about out of control or getting stuck?

I have been told to put the bin out as normal, and keep it out until it is emptied. I understand that the bin service will operate a rolling service in order to catch up. But I guess it all depends on road conditions.

I've been impressed with how the bus service has tried to keep going, albeit from what I have seen there have not been many people on the buses.

Following update regarding bins:

The refuse collection, street services (cleansing and groundcare), mobile park attendants and pest control are all suspended for a second day, due to impassable routes for the refuse wagons and problems with accessing landfill sites. However, WBC have a contingency plan in place to 'roll over' collections into the weekend and next Monday so will be communicating to the public and media about leaving their bins out over the weekend for collection, ahead of returning the schedules to normal next week. The community recycling centres at Gatewarth, Woolston and Stockton Heath are currently closed but WBC are hopeful of getting these reopened this afternoon.

Following update regarding bins:

The refuse collection, street services (cleansing and groundcare), mobile park attendants and pest control are all suspended for a second day, due to impassable routes for the refuse wagons and problems with accessing landfill sites. However, WBC have a contingency plan in place to 'roll over' collections into the weekend and next Monday so will be communicating to the public and media about leaving their bins out over the weekend for collection, ahead of returning the schedules to normal next week. The community recycling centres at Gatewarth, Woolston and Stockton Heath are currently closed but WBC are hopeful of getting these reopened this afternoon.

The only problem with this is that most people now have at least three extra plastic bin bags, which if left out in the street will be ripped open by cats, dogs, foxes, rats e.t.c.

Would rather have a straight - sorry bin wagons can't come out because too dangerous and your bins will be collected next week weather permitting.

The only other alternative would be if the council could say when a collection is going to be, which in the current climate is impossible.

Good point about the extra bin sacks being ransacked Gary... I'm going to sprinkle mine with a dusting of pepper :lol:

At the end of the day though there is no point in people moaning or worrying about it as it can't be helped if they can't empty the bins on the right day and I'm sure they are doing their best.

Not that I would suggest that people should do this :wink: but when my bin gets too full (normally the green one), I get in it and compress with my boots.....bit like treading grapes. :D

With regards to bin collections, I think it would be simpler to say, no collection until your normal day, that way everbody knows where they stand.....as per above...possibly in the bin. :lol:

And you can also sprinkle the ashes on the pavements to stop people slipping just like we all used to do in the good old days.

You'd probably get done for littering these days though. :evil:

Bill :)

Those would be the good old days when we had dreadful smogs would they. :wink::D

Not sure about a littering fine, possibly a compo claim if you missed doing a section and somebody fell.

WBC Update for today... they will be

■gritting and snow ploughing main A roads and access to hospitals, motorways, emergency service stations

■gritting and snow ploughing all published major routes

■currently starting to fill the grit bins that are out across the borough

■snow clearance on carriageways and footways fronting schools has started today to help with access to schools

■snow clearance and gritting of district shopping areas is planned for tomorrow

Residents should be aware that although we are able to grit and clear snow in certain areas, this will still mean that there are snow and icy conditions on roads and pavements.

One thought though.. wouldn't it have been easier to clear ALL the roads with with the snow ploughs BEFORE it all froze :wink:

Aside from a threatened national shortage of rock salt; having observed the gritters in action - the plough doesn't remove all the snow as presumably it can't operate flush with the tarmac as it might take lumps out; so an inch or two of slush remains. With the sprinkling of grit, this melts but can quickly freeze again. So it seems the gritters just have to keep gritting, ad infin until it stops snowing and gets warmer - so we just hope the rock salt keeps getting mined. :wink:

Please visit their website regarding school closures and general information regarding service provision.

All schools will be closed tomorrow (6th)

http://www.warrington.gov.uk/

Paul...

with Council redundacies to be announced soon, will there

be anybody left to deliver the grit? eg, Wooslton Depot, Trading Standards, Environmental Health?...the list goes on

I'm sure if they provided some grit local people and businesses would help out in spreading it where in the area's that the council can't (or wont :roll:) cover :wink:

I'd be more than happy to test drive a gritter or better still a snow plough too.. but maybe that's not such a good idea :lol:

I'm sure if they provided some grit local people and businesses would help out in spreading it where in the area's that the council can't (or wont :roll:) cover :wink:

I'd be more than happy to test drive a gritter or better still a snow plough too.. but maybe that's not such a good idea :lol:

Whatever happened to kids earning a few bob in holiday money shifting the snow?

Is there any reason why seasalt, shingle or dune sands cant be used to grit the roads, instead of digging it out of a hole in Cheshire?

Plus Id imagine the Speed Bumps that have been popping up would cause problems for the snowploughs?

also, on a night when Sankey and Penketh were left ungritted (apparently even the Liverpool Road and the main Warrington-Widnes Bridge were ungritted) how come the access road to North West Water WAS gritted? And special buses laid on for the few workers prepared to go the business park?

No idea.... but maybe North West water gritted their own route :?

As for kids... well some came round here offering to clear paths but were a bit over priced so not sure how many people actually took them up on their offer :cry:

Would imagine that using sand and shingle would leave the roads in a heck of a mess though once everywhere finally thaws :shock: