Schools closed - LOL

disgusted

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think so! :roll:
Simple question, all you have to do is answer it. You have claim to have a host of reasons, but yet can't actually provide one, despite normally having an opinion on everything.

Does rather make one suspicious that it was nothing but hyperbole.

So LP, the inability of millions of workers to get to their places of work due to extreme weather conditions, with the consequent impact on the national economy - is "progress"? :?:roll: Think you'll find, that future trends, for a host of reasons, will mean folk will either be living closer to their work-place or working from home courtesy of IT - but perhaps not in our lifetime, so you can cling to your suburban semi! :wink:

Come on then, educate us dimwits who can't follow your superior level of thinking. What are some of these 'host' of reasons?

We're waiting.

I'll supply reasoning at MY leisure, not yours: if you tried looking at other topics you may get some ideas! :roll:
Why post this then? You take time to post that you're not going to post, instead of posting the reasons behind your argument?

dontknow.gif

And I look at (or should I say post on) topics I'm interested in, whereas you post on every topic and have an opinion on everything, which is why it's so strange you're now so reticent here.

I'll supply reasoning at MY leisure, not yours: if you tried looking at other topics you may get some ideas! :roll:
Why post this then? You take time to post that you're not going to post, instead of posting the reasons behind your argument?

dontknow.gif

And I look at (or should I say post on) topics I'm interested in, whereas you post on every topic and have an opinion on everything, which is why it's so strange you're now so reticent here.

Play fair, Fats, it is usually the same opinion on every topic..... it's not like he has time to think of another one! :wink:

If Obs didn't post so often a lot of topics chats would end much sooner.. and we'd all get bored :cry::lol: aint that right Obs :wink:

Yes, Dis, and he is capable of being intelligent and funny and thought-provoking. He can make logical, fact-based points that others can respect, even if they disagree. Which is exactly why it is so awful when he posts things that sound like soundbites from BNP pamphlets to me in topics that start off as discussions about snow or the Church Fete Jam Making Competition...... I'd just like to see the best of his brain on here instead of the worst of his prejudices! :lol:

I'll reserve the freedom to post as I deem necessary, rather than accepting your censorship - if you don't like my posts, don't read 'em; or if you disagree, challenge them - it's supposed to be a free country after all. :wink:

Apparently not. Any challenge to your views results in a stream of repetive ranting and tedious insults.

I didn't attempt to censor you in anyway - but there is a thread for comments on immigration and as a courtesy to other posters, it would be nice if you placed yours there instead of dragging every discussion onto the same subject. Then those of us who wish to avoid reading them could do so. Because even to one as blinkered as yourself, it must be obvious that unless you post comments in a relevant thread, then by the time we realise we don't want to read them, it is too late. :?

I'll reserve the freedom to post as I deem necessary, rather than accepting your censorship - if you don't like my posts, don't read 'em; or if you disagree, challenge them - it's supposed to be a free country after all. :wink:

You havn't been cesnsored, you've been asked to talk on topic, which you refuse to do. Your views were challenged, and you refuse to back them up, leading I think to the obvious conclusion that your post was in fact indefensible.

Errm NO; I made a prediction as to future trends, which by definition is speculation - you can either agree or disagree with my speculation. As any prediction about the future cannot be a proven fact, it remains opinion; and as most of the current readership won't be around to sample such outcomes, none of us will be able to say "I told you so" - so don't worry about it. :roll:

Errm NO; I made a prediction as to future trends, which by definition is speculation - you can either agree or disagree with my speculation. As any prediction about the future cannot be a proven fact, it remains opinion; and as most of the current readership won't be around to sample such outcomes, none of us will be able to say "I told you so" - so don't worry about it. :roll:

Here is what we're arguning about:

Think you'll find, that future trends, for a host of reasons, will mean folk will either be living closer to their work-place

'Think you'll find' - not 'I imagine', you seem pretty sure of your ground.

Nevertheless, let's grant you that you were merely speculating, you still stated that this would happen for "a host of reasons", your specualtion was based on some theory backed up by "a host of reasons", as yet, you havn't stated one of these reasons for us to be able to question your suppositions, makes it hard to have any sort of debate when you don't know what the position is?

Think, if you read my posts on all the various topics, you will gather a sense of why I'm suggesting that "commuting" to work is becoming less sustainable - but just for your benefit (I've obviously cracked!) - we'll start with the current weather crisis, which has served to highlight the problem. Next, we have the fact that most of our M/Ways are now carrying twice the traffic, or more, than they were designed for. Moving on, to advances in work based technologies and communications; which facilitate working from home, indeed one computer firm on the News required only the Boss turning up to the workplace, the rest of the staff carried on working from their snowbound homes. Then we have the big elephant in the room - over-population, which increases demand for living space, which in turn raises the question of do we build up (as in urban scyscrapers) or do we build out (as in urban sprawl), thus taking arable food producing land out of the equation. Now, whilst I don't buy the global warming arguement, congestion is a problem in itself, not only of pollution but of inefficiency; if folk lived in close proximity to places of work, schools, s/markets etc; such congestion evaporates. Now it may take many decades of siiting in grid locked traffic queues for the penny to drop, even with die hards like yourself, but eventually societies will adapt to the new realities imposed by circumstance. :roll: