Schools closed - LOL

disgusted

Hmmmm.... so we can sell off all of these big council properties and get a few teachers to set work up on a website and the kids can do the work at home while the parents worry about childcare.... you may be onto something there Dis! :lol:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issues that are mentioned apply to every work place, public space etc but the vast majority are now open after yesterdays intial problems. My point is a schools responsibility rests only with its site. If thats safe it should open. The explanation refers to outside issue beyond their influence and control.

Should we close all railway stations / hospitals / shops etc because they are difficult to get to?

The decision was the headmasters. WBC have lifted the blanket closing. Some will open indeed some have stayed open in other areas hit just as bad as this area if not worse.

HOW can they get hurt?

I thought that the little darlings were all wrapped in cotton wool!!!

Dismayed. Can't go to school but can have snowball fights???

Double standards methinks.

Get your dog sorted. Mine was running on ice the other day laughing at me gingerly picking my way an icy track on the Nature Reserve. :shock:

Sorry Adrian, my previous comments wasn't aimed at you :oops:

The thought though that we could end up being prosecuted for trying to help the community by either clearing snow or putting down rock salt makes me wonder just where this country is going.

In the past, it was normal for shops and businesses to clear away the ice and snow from the entrances to their premises but these days, the fear of prosecution if someone slips means this just doesn?t get done.

This stupid obsession with health and safety is probably and ironically the main cause of so many unnecessary accidents and the law really does need changing on this. A kid is just as likley if not more likley to have a slip or fall while out playing than walking to school and therefore the schools shold be open for business.

Bill :)

My point is a schools responsibility rests only with its site. If thats safe it should open......

The decision was the headmasters. WBC have lifted the blanket closing. Some will open indeed some have stayed open in other areas hit just as bad as this area if not worse.

I agree that if they are safe then they should open BUT if the Local Authority is itself asking the schools to carefully consider the safety of the school sites and surrounding areas for pupils, staff and parents.. then all they have done is shifted the responsibility onto the headteachers to decide if it is safe?

As schools are the responsibility of the Load Authority and it's education department..... maybe they should ensure that ALL the roads leading too schools are gritted and there wouldn't be a problem getting there :wink:

Bridgewater staff are trying to clear the actual school sites themselves and so are St Elphins staff tomorrow.. guess the rest are too. But you can't expect them to clear the approach roads too.. or maybe you can :D

PS I missed the bit where you said you were a PI Lawyer.. I'm saying nothing :lol::P

Dismayed. Can't go to school but can have snowball fights???

Double standards methinks.

Jealous Peter and I am not of school age anyway so :P Why's that double standards though as to have a snowball fight you don't have to travel :lol:

Get your dog sorted. Mine was running on ice the other day laughing at me gingerly picking my way an icy track on the Nature Reserve. :shock:

Maybe your dog has more sense than to race round in any and every direction possible like a complete lunatic.. and on the lead ours is even worse as she turns into a pulling machine.. which is what makes here slip and fall on icy as she can't get anywhere :lol:

I'd really have said that any Head teacher who says "Yep, playground's swept, we're open, not my problem if you die en route, I'm not legally liable and don't give a stuff what happens one step outside those gates" should be fired through the door without delay or references.

And isn't he liable if a child is injured in school when staffing levels are below the legal requirement? So if all the kids did turn in but the teachers didn't, he'd have to close again. Giving nobody the chance to prearrange childcare. Possibly leaving some children stranded without proper supervision...... I'd certainly sue him for that!

I'd hope his decision was based on his moral responsiblity to do everything he can to safeguard his staff and the kids in his care. Closing the school is the only decent decision in the current circumstances - and I speak as one whose offspring attend unless they are actually likely to infect the whole school or die before lunchtime!

I do agree Obs as when I was at school we always walked and the teachers lived close by too but times have changed.

My sons primary school was a 5 minute walk from where we live and his secondary school is now a 15-20 minute walk at adult pace (40 minutes at kids pace :lol: )

BUT having seen the state of the roads, pavements and idiotic driver skills round here today... not to mention the tyre skid marks on the pavements :shock: ....I'd feel much better if I dropped him off at the gate myself :oops:

Yes Sherlock Vic, the Sarnia Cherie it is. Now safely alongside Chevron and loading for the Manchester Ship Canal. AISlive is it? :wink::wink::wink:

Yes indeed. Except it's got you passing St Ann's Head!

MSC just to Eastham or can we come and wave as you delay all the Warrington traffic?

Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of stopping the traffic in Warrington as we don't usually go further than Stanlow. The one time I did come all the way down the canal from Manchester we passed Warrington around 3 AM and the whole town was snoring! :evil::evil:

Unfortunately I've never had the pleasure of stopping the traffic in Warrington as we don't usually go further than Stanlow. The one time I did come all the way down the canal from Manchester we passed Warrington around 3 AM and the whole town was snoring! :evil::evil:

It says you're already at Eastham! Rather good going...

We reopened on Monday following the Christmas break despite a leak in a heating pipe that flooded two classrooms. We closed on Tuesday and have remained shut - not because the school has a problem but because the roads and paths that the children (and staff) use to get there are hazardous.

40 staff getting to school safely may not be a problem, but 420 children, with parents and siblings slipping on the ice that would get icier through use is my idea of a nightmare.

And I do think schools have to think of the safety of the children en route.

I'd really have said that any Head teacher who says "Yep, playground's swept, we're open, not my problem if you die en route, I'm not legally liable and don't give a stuff what happens one step outside those gates" should be fired through the door without delay or references.

And isn't he liable if a child is injured in school when staffing levels are below the legal requirement? So if all the kids did turn in but the teachers didn't, he'd have to close again. Giving nobody the chance to prearrange childcare. Possibly leaving some children stranded without proper supervision...... I'd certainly sue him for that!

I'd hope his decision was based on his moral responsiblity to do everything he can to safeguard his staff and the kids in his care. Closing the school is the only decent decision in the current circumstances - and I speak as one whose offspring attend unless they are actually likely to infect the whole school or die before lunchtime!

And there LP is the problem. Rather than take responsibility themselves, too many want others to be responsible, 'or we'll sue'. :roll:

When we were at school, we spent winter making 20 or 30 metre slides right across the playground, now if a kid manage to find a patch of playground not salted, the school would be sued the moment a kid bruised themselves on such a thing.

One has to repeat solutions cos folk like you Fats are too thick to see the light - but I will add another reason for school closures: fear of litigation, the same parents who are moaning about school closures would be the first to sue, if little Jonny fell over and broke his neck! :roll:

If both pupils an teachers lived within walking distance of THEIR scools, there wouldn't be a problem - the problem nowadays is a reliance on the car. :roll:
Oh shut up you boring reptitive man.

Calm down, calm down, he is entitled to his views, repetitive or not. :roll:

And it's been pointed out to him loads of times, why his 'solution' is unworkable and ridiculous. We don't live in the 1800s anymore.

If he wants to make his point about worker mobility, perhaps he could start a thread on it so than all he doesn't need to keep bringing it up in unrelated threads?