Schools closed - LOL

disgusted

Just you all take care of yourselves, and remember it is better to be safe than sorry.

All I'll say to that is OUCH... and I'm sorry. :oops:

I fell flat on my back on the pavement and I'm feeling a bit sore now :cry: Things never used to hurt so much when I was younger :oops::lol:

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just you all take care of yourselves, and remember it is better to be safe than sorry.

I fell flat on my back on the pavement and I'm feeling a bit sore now :cry: Things never used to hurt so much when I was younger :oops::lol:

Get the other half to give you a massage. :wink:

Get the other half to give you a massage. :wink:

Not a chance there Peter as he is showing NO signs of sympathy whatsoever :evil:

You see it's all my own fault and I should have known better... if I had taken all the advice and stayed in (like he did) and had I acted more like a grown-up :wink: (.. which I was doing 8) ) then it wouldn't have happened :lol:

He does have a point though but I didn't start 'it' the other grown-ups did :wink::lol:

It hasn't stopped me going to work :wink::wink: Mind you we were supposed to be berthing at Chevron Pembroke this evening but apparently they couldn't get enough people in to man the berths because of the weather so we're going to find somewhere to anchor instead. 8)8)

Let's have a guess....

On the Bro Deliverer? The Sarnia Cherie? Not the Happy Eagle?

It hasn't stopped me going to work :wink::wink: Mind you we were supposed to be berthing at Chevron Pembroke this evening but apparently they couldn't get enough people in to man the berths because of the weather so we're going to find somewhere to anchor instead. 8)8)

I'm told Barbados is nice at this time of the year. :wink::D

Let's see: I have been posting here for 6 years or so - first time I remember any amount of snow falling in Warrington - so I bet it is quite an interesting place tonight. I do not miss all the fun your having. Be careful Dismayed and Gary - you can really do damage to your back.

Enjoy the snow while you can - even if its from inside by a warm fire with a nice hot toddy. :wink:

If your boss had any sense he'd do what I did and tell the staff to stay at home. :lol:

Stay much later and you might even end up spending the night there!

Bill :)

The news never stops and no risks were taken and everyone tucked up safe and sound!

We are equipped for such occasions hence the 4x4 :wink:

Just got back from Disney and got off the ferry in Hull this morning. Clear roads all the way to Cromwell Avenue and when I finally managed to get into our close, the car got stuck trying to get up the drive so I abandoned it there!!

Told all my lads that the company is shut till Monday..... Happy New Year!!

why were the schools closed today and the decision made yetsreday morning. Took me 2 hours to get to Manchester yesterday but got there (and back) . Absolutely no problems this morning on bus or train and bang on time in work.

Cleared the driveway last night and dug the car out.

Dont go along the H&S line either. As a lawyer, providing the paths are cleared and salted, no reason not to open.

Dont go along the H&S line either. As a lawyer, providing the paths are cleared and salted, no reason not to open.

But Adrian all of us peasants who live out in the countryside have not had our roads or paths gritted and they have been nowhere near our schools! :roll:

Westbrook Old Hall quotes

SCHOOL CLOSED

THURSDAY 7TH JANUARY

I have spoken to the Local Council, Highways Agency and the Met Office for advice on whether to open the school tomorrow or keep it closed. I have decided to close tomorrow as there will be a health and safety risk on iced roads and pavements as staff, parents and children travel to and from school. As much as I would like to open, I will not put anyone at risk and go against the advice which I have been given.

An update for Friday will appear tomorrow afternoon.

Mr. S. Quinn

Pathetic - his responsibility rests solely with the school grounds and therefore if the school is safe he should open it. i bet all his staff are gettign paid where as mums and dads who have to take time off wont be.

By the way all roads round there are okay as its on a main bus route.

Adrian,

Westbrook Crescent is snow bound, all the closes around here are too. The Crescent is a bus route too and that has not been cleared.

What you are missing here is the fact that a lot of teachers do not live round the corner from the school like they did 30 years ago; my little lad goes to St Philips and they have teachers from all over the North west and some areas are impassable.

The Health and safety claims industry which is backed by the ambulance chasing lawyers have brought this situation on us all. Listening to the radio today on the way back from Hull and a deputy head told of a parent who stood at the school gates on an icey day and promptly declared that "there is good money to be made from schools if they let the kids get hurt on icey playgrounds"

We have reaped what we have sown with this "no win no fee" nonsense and "have you had an accident in the last 10 years that you can pin the blame onto someone and get a few grand out of them" situations

I?ve been open for business again today albeit with just three of us but with most of the taxi companies out of action it?s extremely quiet just now. Most of the day has been spent clearing the snow from the car park and making the place accessible because according to the weather forecast, what we have now is going to remain here for quite some time.

Being right at the side of the council depot I?ve notices the gritting lorries have the snow ploughs fitted but that said the dual carriageway on Manchester Road is still only one lane each way and if they don?t clear the slush soon it will freeze solid. Begs the question why if they had ploughs why they were not being used when the snow was coming down. Suppose it?ll end up with some stupid health and safety issue. :roll:

On the subject of claiming, I think anyone who makes a claim against a school or the council for slipping on ice should be put to shame by have their details prominently displayed in the press. The law needs changing and the lawyers that feed off this sort of activity need to go out and find a real job.

Bill :)

Baz, I am a PI lawyer albeit I defend such claims for major instittuions. The school cannot be sued for anything that doesnt occur on their premises. The excuse given above refers to the school being closed due not to the condition of the school but the surrounding areas. Not their problem. My kids got to that school on tuesday to be turned away.

I live off 20 acre and got a bus today fine and on time (07.40) I got to manchester each day using public transport only. Okay yesterday was a mess but today was on time both bus and train. Its only going to get better.

My sons teacher lives round the corner and i fail to see no why anyone cannto get to work from anything other than the most remote locations.

Pathetic - his responsibility rests solely with the school grounds and therefore if the school is safe he should open it. i bet all his staff are gettign paid where as mums and dads who have to take time off wont be.

?????? Get a grip Adrian :lol: It's hardly the headmasters fault that the weather is bad nor is it the teachers faults :roll: I've just come in and a lot of the roads are very bad indeed and the pavements are thick with ice. Even dogs were slipping and they have 4 legs !!

Anyway Bridgewater High School will also be closed tomorrow (Thurs) and this is what their head has to say....

Whilst it has not snowed today, the Local Authority have asked us to consider carefully the safety of our sites and surrounding areas for pupils, staff and parents. Currently, this is still a major concern and we will be working hard throughout tomorrow to make both sites as useable as possible. We hope the situation will have improved by Friday. [/b]In the meantime please use the links on the school website where work is set for students on a lesson by lesson basis.[/b]

Hats of to the staff at Bridgewater as even though the school is closed and they are not in the teachers are providing work for pupils online and kids can even email them if they need any help. :D ... I'm not sure how many kids will do the work though :wink:

I'm impressed :D