More bad weather.. and no local grit !!

Dizzy

Well it's pretty damn slippy out there again and it's just started snowing again :shock:

... and according to the local radio station news all day today Warrington Borough Council only has enough grit left to last 2 days.. and one day is almost over :shock:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only it were that simple LP :lol:

Just been out to my car and our roads like a skating rink again already... I'm not looking forward to driving on it tomorrow morning.. that's providing my car is still in one piece by then after all the idiots have slid past :shock::?

If everyone living on an ungritted street all bought a couple of cans of de-icer each and sprayed it outside their houses I wonder if it would work :?:lol:

Our local shop hasn't had any deliveries of salt either.. ie the stuff to sprinkle on yer food... and everyone has been asking for it apparently. Maybe it's going to be worse than we thought :lol:

Thought our local salt mines were only used for storing old documents in these days though 8):D

well just got back from walking the dog and a good 2 inches of snow on the ground and by the dirty grey clouds in the sky more to come. may try digging the car out later if i have managed to thaw the dogs feet out.

can see some traffic moving on the main road but very slowly and cautiously.

if you do not need to go out today i would suggest that you stay in and if you do have to go out take extra care, umless you are into skiing in which case you will have no problems 8)

Only 2 inches? I've just been out with a ruler to measure the snow on the car roof and it's exactly 11 cm (4.5 inches).

I've made it in to work but decided to ring all the others to tell them not to bother trying to get in because the roads are so bad.

Bill :)

Four inches here too :?:D

Most schools are closed (lots of happy kids today including mine).

The main roads are a nightmare and my other half has given up trying to get to work and is now trying to get home :shock:

Looks pretty though :wink:

And lookin out it's just started snowing again.

I think I'm right in saying that I don't think we've seen this much snow here in Woolston for probably thirty / forty years!

Anyone that's not set off yet I'd advise them not to bother. The A57 Manchester Road is one lane each way and virtually gridlocked. I got stuck just trying to get through the gates at work and was going in all directions, very scarey.

I'm certainly not going to attempt to drive home in this so its abandon car time.

Bill :)

Would you like to borrow a sledge Bill :lol:

My other half's trying to get back from that direction.. he's not going to be a happy bunny if he ever gets home. :shock::lol:

I've got to go to work too but might go on my sons push bike.. or maybe not as I'm wobbly enough on a bike as it is :lol:

No Dis, they store the documents in the space left where the salt used to be before they dug it out. :roll::roll::roll:

Really.. I thought they would store all the precious documents in the same part that they were digging in :roll::P

To be trutheful though I actually thought the archived material was stored in the old Northwich Salt mines.. didn't realsie they were in the Winsford Mines which are still in use... so I appologise :wink:

I believe so and well done to them for getting some more so quickly despite the shortages :D

The local weather report said all the snow and slush is going to freeze tonight so tomorrow and the following days are going to be even worse and very hazardous :shock:

Can the Council get some more grit .. we could all help to distribute and spread it :wink:

I was thinking more along the lines of everyone getting stuck in and helping out rather than sitting back, moaning and relying on 'others'.... but yes yours is a good idea too.

So all we need is some grit and people power... and someone to blindfold and gag the health and safety bods :roll::wink:

Maybe 'getting stuck in' is not the best choice of words though .... but you know what I mean :lol:

It's blummin awful out there today. Very icy and freezing cold but you all know that. And just when we thought it couldn't get any worse the Met Office have issued more warnings...

HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED TO FALL IN WARRINGTON AGAIN OVERNIGHT TONIGHT :shock::shock:

Thought there was loads of salt under Cheshire? :?

The idea that there is a 'shortage' of salt is probably to try to make us believe that the problems we have on the roads etc are not due merely to lack of planning and organisation.

There is in fact, as Ob's says "loads of salt under Cheshire" and thus no real shortage of salt but a shortage of ready mined salt.

Cheshire West and Chester council have now allowed round the clock access to the Winsford mine, so it's really 'Well Done' to them! rather than to our own council who could have ordered and stockpiled some supplies months ago rather than waiting for the last minute. :roll:

The severe weather conditions have been forecast for long enough so one may even wonder whether the lack of proper preparation is really through crap organisation or an attempt (with an excuse of 'shortages') to save money by only gritting the main routes into and out of the town.

In our area we have asked for supplies of grit to be left for volunteers to spread and enable safe access for pensioners who are at present literally stranded indoors, we have been told there is non available for this. :roll::twisted:

The cost to the public financially and personally for those injured in accidents due to icy roads / footpaths has been significant.

So my view on the matter is WBC, NOT GOOD ENOUGH! :evil: