Binmen?

observer

My sister, who lives in Germany, tells me that everyone has to clear the pavement in front of their house on pain of getting shouted at in German (not nice, being shouted at in German :shock::shock: ) :wink::wink:

And that works? Must try it on my kids next laundry day. "GIBT MIR DEINE SCHMUTZIGEN SOCKEN ODER DEINE IPOD UND MOBILE GEWASCHEN WERDEN!"

Oh blimey - probably set Obs off on jackboots again now..... :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister, who lives in Germany, tells me that everyone has to clear the pavement in front of their house on pain of getting shouted at in German (not nice, being shouted at in German :shock::shock: ) :wink::wink:

:shock::lol: Was told today that in Canada (well I think it was there anyway but it may have been somewhere else snowy :oops: ) that residents have a duty to clear snow and ice from outside their own homes within 24 hours or they get fined.

Not sure if it's true though :?

Should the collection points be open earlier/later than 8am to 3pm as this excludes anyone who works.

Shutting them down any time before about 7pm is just plain ridiculous. With the roads now full of numpties who can't drive on a bit of ice anyone who goes to work needs to be leaving well before 8am, and is unlikely to be home much before 6:30pm.

.....and this plan, apparently, was the net result of "hours" of meetings. :roll:

After today's big thaw, which by all accounts should continue tomorrow, the roads shouldn't be quite so bad. Even now most of the side roads are turning into just slush that's a lot easier to deal with than the compacted snow.

If I'm right, I reckon by 3pm tomorrow their going to be looking a bit silly waiting for people to come to them. :lol:

Bill :)

I reckon so too.

OK, a couple of the steeper hills in Lymm will remain impassable until they either thaw or actually get some grit put on them. But I've been various places in Lymm, Thellwall, Grappenhall and Stockton Heath over the past weekend and I've seen large delivery lorries out and about on residential streets without them sliding all over the place.

I certainly haven't seen a single road in the past 24 hours which was so bad that I'd hesitate to take an HGV along it at the low speeds a bin wagon goes. Remember, these things are HEAVY which generates lots of grip and resistance to sliding sideways - plus they're driven by professionals who generally know what they're doing.

I'm just hoping that the reason the "local" collection points for Wednesday have yet to be announced is that the powers that be are keeping the situation under review.

Should the collection points be open earlier/later than 8am to 3pm as this excludes anyone who works.

Shutting them down any time before about 7pm is just plain ridiculous. With the roads now full of numpties who can't drive on a bit of ice anyone who goes to work needs to be leaving well before 8am, and is unlikely to be home much before 6:30pm.

.....and this plan, apparently, was the net result of "hours" of meetings. :roll:

Yes, of course. Binmen should now be required to stand in freezing conditions for twelve straight hours and THEN have to work another two or three to get back, sort out the trucks and deal with the collected rubbish so they are ready to go again at 7 in the morning and THEN get themselves home. Absolutely right. I mean it's not like they are people or have rights, is it? Honestly Pete, are you really as selfish as your posts lead me to believe? :?

Yes, of course. Binmen should now be required to stand in freezing conditions for twelve straight hours and THEN have to work another two or three to get back, sort out the trucks and deal with the collected rubbish so they are ready to go again at 7 in the morning and THEN get themselves home. Absolutely right. I mean it's not like they are people or have rights, is it? Honestly Pete, are you really as selfish as your posts lead me to believe? :?

I can't believe that you wrote that. :roll::?

I can and I agree with it. Despite being slagged off council workers aren't binmen of the same species as the moaners and whingers who populate this forum?

Some of the numpties who whinge about full bins and late post are celebrating extra time of work due to the conditions that stimulate their complaining mode.

Lets be honest there are some serious serial whingers on here.

What, you can't believe I made a sarcastic and irritated post to yet another person moaning about how everyone else should march to their personal tune, irrespective of what's fair or right? Well, you don't know me as well as you should then!! :lol:

The binmen have been in work, redeployed gritting and clearing etc. They've not been sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and eating chocolate. They owe no missed hours, so why should they now work double their standard hours all week?

I am just sick of the constant stream of carping at people who are doing their best in horrible conditions - teachers, council workers, gritters, postmen, binmen....

I'm not asking for the impossible, just what I have paid for.

Binmen work outdoors all year, they dress for it and get paid for it. Thousands and thousands of other people work outdoors too, but I've yet to hear a complaint from a farmer about 5am milking or from a postman about icy pavements made more hazardous by overflowing wheelie bins.

I've also yet to hear from a binman that he'd rather spend the day standing still manning a collection point than keeping warm by moving around collecting bins! It's not the binmen I'm critical of - I know a few of ours and have spoken to them about the current situation - they've been turning up for work ready and willing to go out and do their jobs, it's their management who have cancelled all collections across the entire borough without even surveying the roads in individual areas to determine what is and is not safe to do.

After today's big thaw, which by all accounts should continue tomorrow, the roads shouldn't be quite so bad.

Bill :)

It's now 'tomorrow' and quite a few roads round here are even worse today (Tues) still compact and are now covered in thick black ice :shock:

The pavements are also completely un-walkable after melting snow from rooftops went down drain pipes onto the highways gully drainage routes.

Anyone got any ice scates I can borrow as my dog needs walkies :D

There you go again, Inky. What you have paid for is THE most important factor here - overriding fair play for all the binmen in Warrington or H&S good practice. No contest - and you're only being reasonable.... :shock:

We all know damned well that if you were a binman, the story would be that we can all get stuffed as far as you trying to get round and empty our bins, because we're a bunch of numpties that have parked in your way, not cleared our own roads efficiently and allowed our bin lids to freeze shut!

So far this week, you've had your knife in Head teachers, teachers in general, workers in general, your absent colleagues specifically, bin men in particular, WBC wholesale and anyone who drives more carefully than you because they are not confident in dangerous conditions - the latter being a bunch of numpties slowing you down as you hurtle along like Superman, unaffected by mere trifles like a foot of snow and twenty degrees missing from the normal temperatures for round here. Congratulations on your Iron Man status, but honestly mate, the rest of mere mortals can do without the bitching! Post a few jokes or something! :wink:

I can and I agree with it. Despite being slagged off council workers aren't binmen of the same species as the moaners and whingers who populate this forum?

Some of the numpties who whinge about full bins and late post are celebrating extra time of work due to the conditions that stimulate their complaining mode.

Lets be honest there are some serious serial whingers on here.

Eagle are you whinging about the whingers! :shock::lol:

Ask them which football team they support! :lol:

Hence my question yesterday.... at such short notice how will people know :wink:

They can come and help me smash up more 2 inch thick glass ice on the public footpath here if they are bored... :D backbreaking but fun and sod the H&S freaks... it's a dam site safer now :D

In the workds of my postie as he tried to deliver round here 'Its............. :shock: ' actually second thoughts better not type what he said :wink:

It's not the binmen I'm critical of - I know a few of ours and have spoken to them about the current situation - they've been turning up for work ready and willing to go out and do their jobs, it's their management who have cancelled all collections across the entire borough without even surveying the roads in individual areas to determine what is and is not safe to do.

Photo's taken at 2.30pm today round here.... ps the main road you can see is the BUSY Ellesmere Road B5157 ..... and some of it's adjoining road junctions.

The main road is not on the gritting route so never gets gritted as the council say it is only a minor side road despite it being the heavily used link road from Chester Road A56 and Stockton Heath A49 :? )

THICK SOLID ICE STILL and I wouldn't expect or want them to be trying to drive a bin waggon round here :shock:

What I would have expected by now is some gritting to have been done :wink:

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

DSC02961.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

What, you can't believe I made a sarcastic and irritated post to yet another person moaning about how everyone else should march to their personal tune, irrespective of what's fair or right? Well, you don't know me as well as you should then!! :lol:

The binmen have been in work, redeployed gritting and clearing etc. They've not been sitting watching Jeremy Kyle and eating chocolate. They owe no missed hours, so why should they now work double their standard hours all week?

I am just sick of the constant stream of carping at people who are doing their best in horrible conditions - teachers, council workers, gritters, postmen, binmen....

There best in horrible conditions???? You can't be serious?

Stop and think what the farmers have to put up with when they have to get up around 4 am to milk the cows so that YOU can buy milk. then they have to feed their livestock, and milk their cows again in the afternoon.

And that's in this fairly mild climate. IF other countries can do these things better than us, WHY aren't we doing it?

The world should NOT stop because of a bit of snow, yet people like yourself seem quite happy to let it. :shock: