Binmen?

observer

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obs.. haven't you got a sticker on your bin telling you ?

Our bin day is Wednesday and there was no pick up this week. Back to normal next Wednesday when they will also take upto 3 binsacks of excess rubbish.

I hope you are not moaning about the bin men having some time off ... as it is Christmas :P

We didn't get a sticker on our bin about Xmas collections, maybe they only put them on if you happened to put your bin out on the collection day immediately before.

As a result, our missed collection this Wednesday came when we already had 2 weeks worth of rubbish and without any warning.

I've no objection to any individual employee taking their holiday entitlement at any time of year, but none of the rest of the service industries - be it Health, Retail, Transport, or whatever - would get away with simply shutting up shop for 10 days at Xmas.

They must know that many people only need to put their bins out every other week - especially with the blue and green bins now as well. In fact, if everyone always put their bins out every week I'm not sure the binmen would ever finish their rounds!

The binmen could easily start putting the Xmas schedule stickers on the bins 2 or 3 weeks before, then everyone would know where they stand - or is that far too sensible an approach?

I've no objection to any individual employee taking their holiday entitlement at any time of year, but none of the rest of the service industries - be it Health, Retail, Transport, or whatever - would get away with simply shutting up shop for 10 days at Xmas.

Bah humbug it's only your bin that's not been emptied :roll: How on earth can you compare refuse collection to that of the health service :roll:

As for other services such as shops well they are in business to make a profit out of our eager post christmas spending so it may be a bit stupid of them. :lol:

Yes Inky it is a service that you have paid for but as they are collecting excess waste on the next pickup (upto 3 binsacks full) you are still geting roughtly the same service as you would have got if they had continued to collect between Christmas and New Year rather than to have time off 8)

As you forgot to put your bin out the week before Christmas do you think they should knock that amount of your yearly bill :shock::lol:

I didn't forget to put my bin out the week before Xmas, it was less than half full and didn't need emptying.

If I'd known that I wasn't getting a service the following week ( and since Wednesday just gone wasn't a public holiday just a normal working day, I had no real reason to anticipate that there'd be no collection) then I would definitely have put the bin out.

As it happens, I'm working away during the middle part of next week so unless I leave the bin out on the pavement for most of the week it won't now get emptied for another fortnight. I'm willing to bet they won't be taking extra bags that week too!

How difficult would it have been to send the crews out with the Xmas schedule stickers from the beginning of December onwards to make sure that virually every bin gets one over a period of 3 weeks or so? We've had collections between Xmas and New Year in previous years, if WBC were doing something different to what they've done in the past they should really make a reasonable effort to make sure their customers are aware of the changes.

i put my bin out every week, unless there is a sticker to say otherwise. if it is only half full,or less, i still put it out. blue bin goes out every fortnight and is usually more than half full.

i expect disruptions to the service during the Christmas/ New Year/Easter and other bank holiday periods. it has been the same every year since i moved into the house and something that i accept and plan for.

I agree that they should put the stickers out earlier and for a couple of weeks. Mine goes out when it needs to, not every week and in the past (latterly the blue bin) I have missed the sticker run and it was for the whole year.

Fortunately, having a pc, I downloaded the dates and made my own.

I expect disruption on public holidays, until fairly recently our bin day was a Monday which meant we missed our collection on every single week which had a bank holiday in it. The change to having the bin men work 4 day weeks was supposed to remove this problem.

As far as I'm aware, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week just gone were NOT public holidays - they were normal working days for most people. We've had collections between Xmas and New Year in previous years, I didn't get a sticker on my bin telling me any different, so I had no reason to expect a missed collection this year, and no reason to go checking the website for confirmation.

Like I say, a little thought put into the fore-warning would have mitigated the problem.

We've had collections between Xmas and New Year in previous years, I didn't get a sticker on my bin telling me any different, so I had no reason to expect a missed collection this year, and no reason to go checking the website for confirmation.

Like I say, a little thought put into the fore-warning would have mitigated the problem.

I live within half a mile of your house and don't recall ever getting my bin emptied between Christmas and New Year. How have you managed that little privilege?

WBC put plenty of thought into this - you are the one blithely ignoring the system, stockpiling your muck for a fortnight and expecting the world to revolve around your personal habits....

That's not very ladylike. :roll:

What? Having an opinion? Using the word "muck"? Answering a bloke back? What edition of "Miss Manners' Guide for Young Ladies" are you reading, Pete?

And just out of interest, who ever told you I was a lady? Woman yes, but believe me, I come from a long line of working class peasants! :D

By not putting my bin out when it doesn't need emptying I'm trying to make the binmen's job a little easier, and save WBC a little money. They currently only have to empty it approx 26 times a year - in future I'll make them do it the full 52 times.

We definitely used to get bin collections between Xmas and New Year, I remember a few years ago there was much consternation caused when a little bit of snow and ice provoked the short notice cancellation of the collection between the 2 holidays.