Time to descriminate?

observer

Given that to-date all the attempted airline bombings have been made by religious nutters on a one way trip to paradise - is it time that security measures were discriminatory? :?

all very well until they persuade one idiot who isn't of pakistani or indian descent to become a martyr...... remember the lad in the cafe a few years ago that blew himself up? Wasn't he white?

Well for those prepared to put up with the delays caused by this panic - good luck, seems it's ourgate from now on - plus, it'll save the planet! :wink: The balance of probability, suggests that someone in pyjamas, with a beard or berka, would be more cause for suspicion than Joe and Molly, and the kids from Scunthorpe, flying to Tenerife! :roll: Interesting that this would be bomber, was from Nigeria, trained and equiped by Al Queda in the Yemen; while our lads are stuck in Afghanistan - fortunately we have a brief time span to get the strategy right, before these nutters become more professional and imaginative. :shock:

Interesting that this would be bomber, was from Nigeria, trained and equiped by Al Queda in the Yemen; while our lads are stuck in Afghanistan - fortunately we have a brief time span to get the strategy right, before these nutters become more professional and imaginative. :shock:

WHERE would you like them to be??

someone in pyjamas, with a beard

can you get pyjamas with beards :?

i have a beard and (occasionally) wear pyjamas so that would make me a suspect straight away.

same as when i was asked to remove my hat when entering the shop the other day. i was wearing a black wooly hat as it was cold (pound shop special one with the extra warm lining), jeans,a black body warmer and a high vis jacket. was asked to remove my hat, which i did, but had to chuckle as the guy who asked me to remove it was the one who had hired me to work there two years ago. mind you he laughed as well as he explained that it was company policy and that it was so that the security cameras could identify me easily :P

and that it was so that the security cameras could identify me easily :P

Crikey they'll be lucky have you seen the definition on some of these CCTVs.

As I recall during the Irish troubles, the Irish were singled out for special attention, trouble is that this time the possible suspects are a far broader range of people, although clearly with limited resources there does need to be a focus, and clearly a white 80 year old granny from Bridlington visiting her relatives in Australia wouldn't be high on the list. :wink:

Exactly my point: we're deploying our resources against the wrong enemy for the wrong reasons. These nutters will eventually get past their kitchen sink chemistry designed to take an aircraft full of passengers out; and move on to nukes capable of taking a city out, or even worse, bio-contagions capable of taking out millions. :shock:

Back to the original question before this goes off at a tangent. I think given the huge amount of public resources being used to identify potential terrorists, I think it?s absolutely crazy not to use basic profiling techniques at the airports.

If we were dealing with an invasion from Mars by little three headed green men then I reckon we?d still be checking Mr & Mrs Jones and their kids just so that we don?t infringe anyone?s rights.

Just tell anyone who complains to direct their objections back to those within their own community who are at the root of the issue and alienate them rather than the British nation.

Bill :)

Given that to-date all the attempted airline bombings have been made by religious nutters on a one way trip to paradise - is it time that security measures were discriminatory? :?

Following from The Guardian:

The government could allow hi-tech security searches at British airports that focus on people who fit a particular profile, prompting fears that particular racial and religious groups will face increased scrutiny, it emergedtoday .

A Whitehall source told the Guardian passenger profiling was "in the mix" of the review into airport security ordered this week by Gordon Brown after the failed attempt to blow up a transatlantic jet on Christmas Day.

The development came as airline industry chiefs warned it would be impossible to screen all travellers with a new generation of body scanners the government now wants introduced at airports.

Airport industry executives warn the scanners are currently too big, slow and expensive to make their widespread installation viable. Costing around ?100,000 each, they take up much more space than the arch metal detectors currently in use and require longer to check every passenger.

Many in the industry have long called for the profiling of passengers to detect potential terrorists. But while it is claimed spotters would primarily be watching for suspicious behaviour, there are fears travellers will be selected for enhanced checks based on race, religion and ethnicity.

"They would be looking for people who are acting differently from regular passengers. However, it is going to appear to target a particular group of people because sadly it is that group of people that is presenting the problem at the moment," said Norman Shanks, a former head of security at BAA, the UK's largest airport operator.

Seems sensible to me.

Did I read the same report as Peter because I don?t recall reading anything there that infringes anyone?s human rights, unless you class someone looking at you as an infringement?

Just thinking that if we are obsessed with using technology rather than profiling and observation techniques then what we ideally need is a lie detector. We used to be able to order them along with a pair of xray specs from the back pages of the superman comics so where are they today?

Following this line of thinking, I believe it?s not inconceivable to adapt one of the low cost personal heart rate monitors to download its information to a processing unit that would then analyze the results. People would simply be given the watch like device as they enter the airport and remove it as they get on the plane. There?d be no discrimination; no delays and the whole airport could probably be covered for a whole lot less than a single body scanner.

Now where?s the umber of my patent agent? :lol:

Bill :)