Christmas Quiz - no cheating !!!

Dizzy

Don't you dare cheat by looking up the answers cos that will spoil it :evil::lol::wink::P

PS I haven't read the answers yet but I wont join in cos you wouldn't believe me :P

1. Who was the first British monarch to broadcast a Christmas message to the nation?

2. Child star Jimmy Boyd sang which hugely popular 1950's Christmas song, which was initially banned by the Catholic Church in Boston because it supposedly mixed sex and Christmas?

3. Who banned Christmas in England between 1647 and 1660?

4. On which date is Epiphany celebrated in the traditional Western calendar?

5. Who are the four ghosts in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol?

6. What liqueur goes into making a 'snowball' cocktail?

7. What is the English title of the carol written in 1818 by Austrian priest Josef Mohr originally called Stille Nacht?

8. The Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway notably) tend to celebrate Christmas chiefly on which date?

9. Which US state in 1907 was the last to declare Christmas a legal holiday?

10. Presepe in Italy refers to what Christmas tradition?

11. Christmas Crackers is cockney rhyming slang for which part of the male anatomy?

12. What is the popular name for little baked sausages wrapped in rashers of streaky bacon?

13. Which of the Wise Men was said to have brought the gift of gold for the baby Jesus?

14. The 1954 movie White Christmas was the first to be made using what new Paramount film format?

15. Which river did George Washington cross on Christmas night in 1776 in the American Revolutionary War?

16. What changed in 1752 which caused England to have a White Christmas less frequently thereafter?

17. Traditional in Germany at Christmas, what sort of food is stollen?

18. According to the UK National Meteorological Office what year (prior to 2007) was the last White Christmas in Britain?

19. The Christmas period of 1813-14 saw the last what in London?

20. How many gifts are given in total in the song The Twelve Days of Christmas?

21. The words "Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume breathes of life, of gathering gloom..." come from which Christmas carol?

22. Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean is a territory of which country?

23. Which diarist noted on 25th December 1662, "(Christmas Day). Had a pleasant walk to White Hall, where I intended to have received the communion with the family, but I have come too late..."

24. The USA's official National Christmas Tree is in which National Park?

25. John Callcott Horsley designed what first commercial Christmas item in 1843?

26. In Victorian England what people were popularly called robins because of their red uniforms?

27. Which popular poem was alternatively known as A Visit from St Nicholas?

28. In Britain which token vegetable is often included in the ingredients of a Christmas pudding?

29. What animal is Snowball in George Orwell's book Animal Farm?

30. Yorkshireman William Strickland is believed to have brought the first what to Britain from North America in 1526?

1:edward vii. think he was on the throne when wireless was first invented but would have to look it up to be sure.

11: the dangly bits at the front

12 pigs in a blanket or is that the name for sausage rolls? :?

14: cinema-scope

15:the Delaware

16: the calendar

17: bread although it look more like a heavy fruit cake with a frosting on top.(at least the ones from ALDI do)

20: 364

364 if you take the verses at face value so each day all the presents arrive with the addition of that days. day1 is partridge and tree. day 2 is turtle doves, partridge and tree and so on.

however if you count the total number of items that have been delivered by day 12

it will be 426 if you do the same but also assume that the maids a milkin have to have something to milk eg cows or goats.so an extra 8 is added for all verses from eight onwards which adds an extra 40 to the total sum and also that the bird and tree are separate which adds and extra 12 to the total.

all i can say is that the house must have been very crowded and total mayhem by the 12th day and that she/he was no longer their true love but due to be charged with harassment and stalking :shock::lol::lol:

25: christmas card

27 twas the night before christmas

It's a quiz full of questions and there are answers... which bit are you struggling to understand :lol::roll:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though... as it's Chritmas... and I'll take your answer as being correct instead. The 25th it is then :lol:8):wink:

Sorry Wingy but Eagle says it's actually the 25th and not the 24th so maybe you can let your friends know :lol::wink:

Peter.. thanks for the advice but Eagle doesn't sound like he's the bullying type but if it turns out he is I'll tread ON him carefully :lol:

Can't stand the pressure eh :lol::wink:

Anyway there are still 6 questions that no-one has attempted to answer.

17, 18, 19, 21, 24 and 28.

Guess you are all bored now :lol:

I'll post all the answers later on if I remember after I've sharpened my heels :lol:

Answers in red :D

1. Who was the first British monarch to broadcast a Christmas message to the nation? George the Fifth (in 1932)

2. Child star Jimmy Boyd sang which hugely popular 1950's Christmas song, which was initially banned by the Catholic Church in Boston because it supposedly mixed sex and Christmas? I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus

3. Who banned Christmas in England between 1647 and 1660? Oliver Cromwell

4. On which date is Epiphany celebrated in the traditional Western calendar? 6th January

5. Who are the four ghosts in Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol? Christmas Past, Christmas Present, Christmas Yet to Come(Future), and Jacob Marley

6. What liqueur goes into making a 'snowball' cocktail? Advocaat (or advokatt, pronounced 'advocar' - normally a blend of brandy, egg yolks, vanilla and sometimes other ingredients - award yourself a bonus point if you dare order one next time you go to the bar.)

7. What is the English title of the carol written in 1818 by Austrian priest Josef Mohr originally called Stille Nacht? Silent Night

8. The Nordic countries (Denmark, Sweden, Norway notably) tend to celebrate Christmas chiefly on which date? 24th December

9. Which US state in 1907 was the last to declare Christmas a legal holiday? Oklahoma

10. Presepe in Italy refers to what Christmas tradition? Nativity scene (literally meaning crib)

11. Christmas Crackers is cockney rhyming slang for which part of the male anatomy? Testicles (see knacker origins - related to the very old word for a horse slaughterer.)

12. What is the popular name for little baked sausages wrapped in rashers of streaky bacon? Pigs in blankets

13. Which of the Wise Men was said to have brought the gift of gold for the baby Jesus? Melchior

14. The 1954 movie White Christmas was the first to be made using what new Paramount film format? VistaVision

15. Which river did George Washington cross on Christmas night in 1776 in the American Revolutionary War? Delaware

16. What changed in 1752 which caused England to have a White Christmas less frequently thereafter? The calendar (the English adoption of the Gregorian calendar, replacing the Julian calendar, shifted Christmas day back 12 days - and all the other days too of course - 11 days were skipped in 1752 and a further day in 1800.)

17. Traditional in Germany at Christmas, what sort of food is stollen? Cake

18. According to the UK National Meteorological Office what year (prior to 2007) was the last White Christmas in Britain? 2004

19. The Christmas period of 1813-14 saw the last what in London? Christmas Fair on a frozen River Thames (known as a Frost Fair)

20. How many gifts are given in total in the song The Twelve Days of Christmas? 364

21. The words "Myrrh is mine, its bitter perfume breathes of life, of gathering gloom..." come from which Christmas carol? We Three Kings of Orient Are (composed by Rev John Henry Hopkins, 1857)

22. Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean is a territory of which country? Australia

23. Which diarist noted on 25th December 1662, "(Christmas Day). Had a pleasant walk to White Hall, where I intended to have received the communion with the family, but I have come too late..." Samuel Pepys

24. The USA's official National Christmas Tree is in which National Park? King's Canyon National Park, California (a giant sequoia called The General Grant)

25. John Callcott Horsley designed what first commercial Christmas item in 1843? Christmas card

26. In Victorian England what people were popularly called robins because of their red uniforms? Postmen

27. Which popular poem was alternatively known as A Visit from St Nicholas? 'Twas The Night before Christmas ('Twas the night Before Christmas' is also the first line. The poem was first published anonymously in 1823 and is commonly attributed to Clement Clarke Moore, although some believe Henry Livingston was the true author. This different to the song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Rudolph was created in 1939 by copywriter Robert May for the Montgomery Ward department store chain in a free Christmas promotional story. This extended the 1823 poem and was later still developed into the Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer song.)

28. Which token vegetable is often included in the ingredients of a Christmas pudding? Carrot (vegetables were in earlier times used in making Christmas puddings)

29. What animal is Snowball in George Orwell's book Animal Farm? A pig

30. Yorkshireman William Strickland is believed to have brought the first what to Britain from North America in 1526? Turkey