Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?

Gary

Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is Warrington the worst place to live in the country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

Can anyone who lived or moved to Warrington more than 40 years ago say that it's a nicer place to live now than it was then?

Because I can't :x The traffic congestion is worse the crime is worse, services are worse. Then; you could walk round and here a Warrington accent, now you are more likely to hear a scouse accent :roll: I voted No, but why has this and most other towns deteriorated? It can only come down to politics both National and Local unless you are all saying it's the people who have changed. :?:?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a Warringtonian born and bread and very much proud of my town and roots, I have read most of the articles in this forum and the information from TV news etc, some I agree with and some I don?t and I am still proud and will continue to add only praise for Warrington and its folk, I live here in the South East where towns and cities have similar failings and issues such as crime, education, traffic congestion the list goes on and on. I am sure with enough money and political will and the right policies, the powers that be will get only green flags next time?

Having spent most of this week in Glasgow I can honestly say I?m glad to be back home.

The only good thing there was the bacon on crusty rolls! :P

Load of old nonsense probably compiled by overpaid civil servants with nothing better to do.

Bill :)

Aren`t we really missing the point here and rather letting the council off the hook .

The report does say, and I agree, that council investment has wrongly been prioritised in the south of the town in areas like Stockton Heath and Appleton to the detriment of north Warrington.

Nothing to do with Ian Marks and his cronys been from South of the water or South Warrington been a marginal parliamentary constituency of course .

That`s the real story that a journalist like Gary should be pursueing instead of been some sort of cheerleader for the regime which got us into this mess ..

Shame on the 11 of you who have voted Warrington the worst town in Britain to live.

I can only presume you have a political agenda - which I can assure you all i don't.

I try and work with all political parties and anyone who is doing their best to help make our town a better place.

This is not a vote on whether Warrington is well run by the local council - this is a vote on whether Warrington is the worst place to live.

If you really do hate living here so much why not move down the road to St Helens, Widnes, Leigh, Runcorn, Salford.

I know where I would rather live.

:roll:

Gary maybe you should block the 11 voters from the site who you now say should be shamed for giving their views after you yourself started the poll... what did you expect :roll:

I voted NO by the way!

PS Esteem... yes the South does seem to benfit more than the North and I certainly don't think that is right but the grass is not quite as green over here as some may imagine.

Aren`t we really missing the point here and rather letting the council off the hook .

The report does say, and I agree, that council investment has wrongly been prioritised in the south of the town in areas like Stockton Heath and Appleton to the detriment of north Warrington.

Nothing to do with Ian Marks and his cronys been from South of the water or South Warrington been a marginal parliamentary constituency of course .

That`s the real story that a journalist like Gary should be pursueing instead of been some sort of cheerleader for the regime which got us into this mess

As a North Warrington dweller I can't disagree with the above scenario but if the report has got that bit right has it also got other less palatable things right?

I don't believe the south of the borough does benefit from more investment than the north. But if it did, it would only be redressing the balance of 20 years of the north getting the lion's share.

Certainly, living in Lymm, one does not feel that one gets any great benefits. I am sure we have more potholes than other parts of the borough.

True, Lymm has some natural advantages but they are nothing to do with spending by the council or anyone else.

What investment would that be then.

Forge carpark Pay and Display?? :lol:

St.Heath is getting that bad, that it needs its' own ring road. :wink:

Shame on the 11 of you who have voted Warrington the worst town in Britain to live.

I can only presume you have a political agenda - which I can assure you all i don't.

I try and work with all political parties and anyone who is doing their best to help make our town a better place.

This is not a vote on whether Warrington is well run by the local council - this is a vote on whether Warrington is the worst place to live.

If you really do hate living here so much why not move down the road to St Helens, Widnes, Leigh, Runcorn, Salford.

I know where I would rather live.

:roll:

Gary maybe you should block the 11 voters from the site who you now say should be shamed for giving their views after you yourself started the poll... what did you expect :roll:

I voted NO by the way!

Why would I do that - they are entitled to their opinion and their vote just as I am!

In my opinion people should take off their political blinkers and work together to make Warrington a better place to live and work.

Supporting the view that Warrington is the worst town to live in the country is not helpful for those of us attempting to make a living here and working hard to make it a better town.

Yes Warrington has plenty of faults but it is NO WAY the worst town in Britain to live.

Can people also get it through their thick skulls that this report is not aimed at Warrington Borough Council - but ALL public services!

I am not on here defending the council - we are the first to say so when we think something is not right.

I say again shame on the 12 of you who have voted that Warrington is the worst town in Britain.

I see everyone who has voted no is prepared to say who they are - lets see those of you who have voted in the yes camp - I bet you all have some kind of political axe to grind.

Shame on you!

:evil:

That`s the real story that a journalist like Gary should be pursueing instead of been some sort of cheerleader for the regime which got us into this mess ..

Obviously the report didn't take into account the ?30m Orford Park Project! :roll:

Can someone remind me of the ?30m worth of investment in South Warrington?

There was the re-build at Stockton Heath Primary school which is more than compensated by the re-build at Culcheth High in the North!

Surely the point that is being missed is that the CAA report did NOT say that Warrington was the worst place in the country!

And if Esteem can point out to me where it said that the council had wrongly prioritised investment in the south of the borough I would appreciate it, because I can't find it!

I voted NO by the way!

Why would I do that - they are entitled to their opinion and their vote just as I am!

I was kidding :P but why have such a direct go at them for casting their vote on a poll just because some may agree/disagree with them but then follow it up with a comment saying they 'are entitled to their opinion and vote just as you are' ? ?

In my opinion people should take off their political blinkers and work together to make Warrington a better place to live and work.

But how do you know the 12 voters are voting politically (unless of course you have some inside info 8) ) as they may just live in an area of Warrington where the services are bad or which they feel is not a very nice place to live :?

Supporting the view that Warrington is the worst town to live in the country is not helpful for those of us attempting to make a living here and working hard to make it a better town.

Many of us attempt to make a living working in Warrington Gary and also wish to see the town and it's villages become a better place to live and work. The council can help with that bit.

Yes Warrington has plenty of faults but it is NO WAY the worst town in Britain to live.

Agreed :D

Can people also get it through their thick skulls that this report is not aimed at Warrington Borough Council - but ALL public services!

Ouch.... aimed at ALL public services?... so does that make the report better or worse then :?

I am not on here defending the council - we are the first to say so when we think something is not right.

I say again shame on the 12 of you who have voted that Warrington is the worst town in Britain.

:lol: I guess you must have some inside info then :lol:

I see everyone who has voted no is prepared to say who they are - lets see those of you who have voted in the yes camp - I bet you all have some kind of political axe to grind.

Shame on you!

:evil:

good point... so maybe they will say why they voted YES now :wink:

Have a happy Friday Gary as you are sounding rather stressed out at the moment which isn't like you :lol::P

St.Heath is getting that bad, that it needs its' own ring road. :wink:

:wink: Don't say that Peter as they will all start using the current 'ring road' routes that some of us locals use so we don't have to drive through our OWN village. :wink:

I bypass London Road and the village centre every single day and although the route it twice as long as the direct route through the village and up/down London Road it takes a fraction of the time.

I'm not telling you which way I go though... it's secret :wink::D

:shock: Granada reports are currently filming a news story on bridge foot as i type, no doubt a story about the lout who was peeing on the war memorial and wearing poppy wreaths on his head. No doubt it will feature on Granada Reports tonight.

:cry:

That will really do Warrington's image a lot of good ??

Gary wrote

Supporting the view that Warrington is the worst town to live in the country is not helpful for those of us attempting to make a living here

Are political blinkers any worse than business blinkers?

Neither are helping the town in the long term. :roll:

Gary wrote
Supporting the view that Warrington is the worst town to live in the country is not helpful for those of us attempting to make a living here

Tod - Surely a town with successful businesses providing employment opportunities can only be for the good of the town? :?

:shock: Granada reports are currently filming a news story on bridge foot as i type, no doubt a story about the lout who was peeing on the war memorial and wearing poppy wreaths on his head. No doubt it will feature on Granada Reports tonight.

I see that the online version of the Daily Mail are running it as well.

I see that the online version of the Daily Mail are running it as well.

The low life who performed this act was from Runcorn so lets hope the media mention this! :roll:

Gary wrote

Tod - Surely a town with successful businesses providing employment opportunities can only be for the good of the town? :?

But surely a successful business on its' own is not enough.

If problems with traffic congestion and services are being overlooked, in the long term the business will suffer.

I lived in Warrington for 35 years and 2 years ago moved to Widnes. I can now leave home and get to the town centre in 5 minutes. I park for free and my journey back home takes 5 minutes. No traffic jams apart from when the bridge is blocked, but that also affects Warrington. I pay less Council Tax on a bigger house, my bins are emptied weekly regardless of the angle of the bin lid. The bus service is superb, and Widnes has managed that without any industry to speak off. The Chemical Industry left the town over 10 years ago and unemployment is high and yet large developments of ?500,000 plus houses have sprung up. Those who think Warrington is not the worse place to live convince themselves by comparing it to Widnes, Runcorn or Leigh :?:?

Warrington has consistently failed to answer the problems that it has always had,and trying to ignore those problems or worse believing that they don't exist will result in Warrington being bottom of the pile for years to come.

Gary wrote

But surely a successful business on its' own is not enough.

If problems with traffic congestion and services are being overlooked, in the long term the business will suffer.

I lived in Warrington for 35 years and 2 years ago moved to Widnes. I can now leave home and get to the town centre in 5 minutes. I park for free and my journey back home takes 5 minutes. No traffic jams apart from when the bridge is blocked, but that also affects Warrington. I pay less Council Tax on a bigger house, my bins are emptied weekly regardless of the angle of the bin lid. The bus service is superb, and Widnes has managed that without any industry to speak off. The Chemical Industry left the town over 10 years ago and unemployment is high and yet large developments of ?500,000 plus houses have sprung up. Those who think Warrington is not the worse place to live convince themselves by comparing it to Widnes, Runcorn or Leigh :?:?

Warrington has consistently failed to answer the problems that it has always had,and trying to ignore those problems or worse believing that they don't exist will result in Warrington being bottom of the pile for years to come.

I live in Warrington and it takes me seven minutes to get into work most days.

The chemical industry left 10 years ago? Lever Brothers is one of the biggest chemical companies in the world!

I have visited Widnes, Runcorn and Leigh on many occasions and have friends who lives in those areas. Some are currently looking to move to Warrington to live in a better environment and to send their children to better schools!

The failings of any council should not reflect on the general state of a town.

Successful businesses are the backbone for the well being of any city or town as they provide the employment opportunities and jobs which are needed to support the local economy.

Warrington is a town full of people who have moved here from surrounding areas looking for a better lifestyle!:roll: