Too many traffic lights!!!!!

Gary

Legion. If my memory serves me, a few years ago,buses were given priority when leaving bus stops. As long as they were signalling it was ok :shock: .

I don't know how publicised this rule was.

well there was a highway code modification introduced suggesting that motorist should relinquish their right of way to buses. However it fell short of giving the buses right of way and was just a recommendation of courteous driving rather than a regulation, and that is where THEY miss-interoperate, which is how this whole mess started. After this happening to me 10+ times I started making a point of not letting them out

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er - if you let them out, they wouldn't pull out as you were going past....

I'll remember that cheers,So its ok to pull out in-front of oncoming traffic regardless of whether they wish to let me out or not.

And for what its worth, I'm talking about buses who at the time used to pull out without signal (or pull out at the same time as signalling ignoring the MSM rule) maybe I should hold up the traffic every time a bus in a stop is there and wait for it to come out, or maybe I should use the force or mind reading like you can.

In addition to this I have been a insurance witness on 3 occasions to buses pulling out and hitting other road users, 1 taxi, 1 car and 1 cyclist. I am determined to ensure that bus drivers drive safely and with consideration.

There are cyclists and there are motorists. I can guess which you are.

Everyone can guess?? its not hard however I doubt you would get it right as I'm both and since you said which ONE you're wrong.

Seems obvious - the people using alternative routes will only use the A49 again if the new junction does reduce congestion.

and therefore increasing congestion in that act, thats the madness of their statement that I was pointing out.

There's four lanes out of Long Lane - two south to A49 and one straight ahead and one right. What matters is how long traffic from Long Lane gets on each phase.

Agreed, but one lane for the majority traffic (northbound)is insufficient IMO.

in addition to this I have been a insurance witness on 3 occasions to buses pulling out and hitting other road users, 1 taxi, 1 car and 1 cyclist.

So you come out at that side access and cut across two lanes on the A49 to get in the outside lane to turn into Hawleys Lane? How do you do that unless other drivers let you out? You who will not let buses out of laybys?

Yep, thats exactly what I do, I expect there are some people who let me out, and others hold some grudge about volvo drivers who never waived long ago in their past, despite this I am always polite and unlike the early bus drivers, I sit indicator on patiently waiting for just such good souls and always wave.

Ah, but most of them do pay road tax on the cars that they choose to leave at home in order to walk or cycle to work and thus not contribute to the congestion caused by those who choose to cause the congestion.

Vic,

unless you can personally prove that every single one of the Lycra warriors (who incidentally do not seem to like using cycle lanes; especially the facilities provided down Cromwell Avenue and instead continue to take their lives in their hands and tootal on the already narrow roadway) I will stand by my comment.

Personally I don't cycle anymore. It is too dangerous, too cold and too much bloody hard work. I also don't commute and tend to drive outside the rush hours when I can avoid them and so don't really cause congestion. In fact I would counter that some bikes being used at rush hour cause more congestion than I do!! :D

With regards to bus drivers.... the most annoying thing they do to me is when I am driving past St Gregs and the bus pulls out from the bus stop outside the school and instead of driving down the bus lane; pulls right out to the second lane which runs alongside the bus lane!

They get to the lights at Sankey Way and as they are in the outside lane, they damn near remove the offside doors of any vehicles inside them as they carve up the corner....

WHY WONT THEY USE THE BLOODY BUS LANE AND THEN DRIVE UP THE INSIDE AND THEN INDICATE TO PULL OUT INTO THE TOWN LANE LIKE NORMAL DRIVERS???

Cos the Richard Heads don't let them out! :roll:

Then why go to the expense of putting bloody bus lanes in there in the first place if the buses don't use them?

And this bus lane was installed when you lot were in power!

Make them use it or sack them if they don't.

The bloody plod still have the nerve to book people for driving in that very same bus lane if they see them (it doesn't have a time restriction to this one, unlike the one on Knutsford Road etc) and there was even a time when some stupid stupid pair of keystones parked their Volvo traffic car in the lane itself and were booking cars that came in behind them!

WBC, soft on congestion..... soft on the causes of congestion!

I'm going off your description of the situation: if the use the bus lane up to the lights, then have to pull out to turn right; the Richards who are queuing in the right hand lane won't let them out - there seems to be a phenomenon with most drivers, that under no circumstances, when in a queue, should they allow anyone (incl buses) to get in front of them. Seems nowadays, that even bus/cycle lanes are out of fashion, now they just paint white hatching to get you all in one single file. :roll:

No,

they should use the bus lane to the lights, turn left in the inside lane and then move over to the right lane to go through into town. The distance from turning left at the lights and where they have to pull over to the right lane on Sankey way is over half a mile..... more than enough time to do so regardless of who wont let them out or not.

They don't use the bus lane because they are crap drivers with no common sense

Cos the Richard Heads don't let them out! :roll:

Then why go to the expense of putting bloody bus lanes in there in the first place if the buses don't use them?

And this bus lane was installed when you lot were in power!

Do they get a European grant like they do for cycle lanes?

No,

they should use the bus lane to the lights, turn left in the inside lane and then move over to the right lane to go through into town. The distance from turning left at the lights and where they have to pull over to the right lane on Sankey way is over half a mile..... more than enough time to do so regardless of who wont let them out or not.

They don't use the bus lane because they are crap drivers with no common sense

What, just like the drivers on the dual carriageway section of Birchwood Way who move into the outside lane nearly a mile before they're turning right? Don't blame bus drivers for having to take account of selfish (and driving illegally) car drivers.

What, just like the drivers on the dual carriageway section of Birchwood Way who move into the outside lane nearly a mile before they're turning right? Don't blame bus drivers for having to take account of selfish (and driving illegally) car drivers.

Vic..... are you a bus driver or something?

The bus drivers who DO NOT USE THE BUS LANE ON CROMWELL AVENUE do so at all times of the day and night regardless of whether there are any "selfish" car drivers to get in their way.

They are stupid drivers who obviously should not be driving buses if they can't do so in the lanes that are specifically designed for them

and also, driving in the outside of a dual carriageway is not illegal. Just stupid..... which is why bus drivers do it all the way down Sankey way to Crosfields roundabout..... because they are stupid too

The bus drivers who DO NOT USE THE BUS LANE ON CROMWELL AVENUE do so at all times of the day and night regardless of whether there are any "selfish" car drivers to get in their way.

They are stupid drivers who obviously should not be driving buses if they can't do so in the lanes that are specifically designed for them

and also, driving in the outside of a dual carriageway is not illegal. Just stupid..... which is why bus drivers do it all the way down Sankey way to Crosfields roundabout..... because they are stupid too

It's a bit stupid to think they do it because they're stupid. You have to ask why they do it. When they turn onto Sankey Way they don't know there will be no selfish drivers in the outside lane refusing to let them into that lane before the roundabout, and it is therefore quite obviously safer (for the bus and for all other traffic) to be in that lane from Cromwell Avenue and stay in it (rather than have to manoeuvre into that lane later). It is arguably illegal - no-one should be in the outside lane unless overtaking - but it's not stupid, it makes perfect sense. (Though it might mean the bit of bus lane on Cromwell Avenue is effectively redundant.)

and don't forget the bit of bus lane that used to go up to the roundabout at Crosfields on Sankey Way. That was the inside lane of the three, but it was the outside lane that the buses had to use to follow the correct route into town!

Vic,

it is the planners and the bus drivers who are at fault. They shouldn't be in the outside lane along the whole run of Sankey Way from the lights to the roundabout.

My mate was actually pulled by the police one night because coming the other way from town towards the lights on Sankey Way, he stayed in the outside lane to enter the lane to come up Cromwell Avenue. The plod stopped him just on Cromwell Avenue and told him that he should have been in the inside lane and manoeuvered across to the outside lane only when he was to turn right and not used the right hand lane for the whole run.

Same applies the other way. the bus drivers are in the wrong and should be made to stop and use the road correctly

• 1 year later...

Yet more lights. :evil::evil::evil:

Charon Way linking M62 jnc 8 to Gemini. Went dow it last nigth. New development on the old Burtonwood services will be controlled by lights. Just a left / right turn nothing special! This road backs up either way when busy anyway. How will this improve it?

Given that changing lanes is one of the more hazardous moves when driving, I'd say the police may be right

they may well be technically correct. However, every police car I have ever followed down there has done exactly the same manouvre..... maybe I should stop them and tell them the error of their ways!

Thought it better to continue an old thread than re-start one.

Another road on my list to avoid, which sort of defeats the object to it being built in the first place!

Wonder if the highways agency were consulted as Jnc 8 has already apparenlty reached capacity even though Omega hasnt yet been built.