Too many traffic lights!!!!!

Gary

Sitting in yet another town centre traffic jam this lunch time I was horrified to discover the new "part-time" lights in action on the Cockhedge roundabout - basically causing a tailback to Bridgefoot.

During my three and a half mile journey to Winwick I encountered a further 19 sets of traffic lights or pelican crossings, which nearly all caused further bottles necks.

A journey which should have taken 10-15 minutes tops took me more than half an hour, resulting in me being late for an important meeting.

I had given myself 20 minutes to make the journey, realising you can not be certain of anything on the roads of Warrington! :x

Could someone please explain to me why there was a need to spend even more tax payers money on yet another set of lights on the Cockhedge roundabout!:?

Great traffic planning yet again in Warrington! :roll:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called into to town near lunchtime and the traffic was indeed much heavier than normal? The lights on the Cockedge roundabout weren?t in use at that time and so I got across that fairly easily.

There are an awful lot of lights to contend with but with no alternative of getting from one side of the town to another it?s always going to be this way. :(

Bill :)

There was no sign of it when I was stuck there. Traffic was moving well on the Cockedge roundabout itself and could both join from and exit to Battersby Lane without hinderance.

It's just those damned lights were only letting 3 cars at a time out of Fennel St - even when there was absolutely nothing else coming round the roundabout!

Went that way yesterday..... that's after I had been stuck on Mersey Street for 20 minutes trying to get to the Golden Square car park on Midland Way. :evil:

I presumed the delays were because of the new lights at the roundabout but the part timers weren't switched on and traffic after the roundabout was completely free. Infact there was no queue at all getting into the new car park or in finding a space so I was rather happy by then..

Maybe it's just clever tactics and after earlier delays people such as me are rather impressed with the ease if parking in Warrington (as the road congestion lets the queues die down a little :lol::lol: )

Anyway there is obviously a bit of a problem there now so I will reserve judgement until I go that way again when the lights are actually on to see if they do really make a difference 8)

Could someone please explain to me why there was a need to spend even more tax payers money on yet another set of lights on the Cockhedge roundabout!

I thought WW had reported on this story? Or at least it has been mentioned in a seperate thread. The answer given by the council (as I recall) was that they were intended to be part-time, because the number of vehicles heading east on the A57 in the morning peak was causing tailbacks along the A49 Brick Street northbound, so the lights were intended to allow this traffic to exit more freely.

Wait until the ones at Dunelm are turned on. As part of the improvement for pedestrians, they have removed two islands for them to wait on. As a result you canot break up the traffic into as easily manageble portions so it will now be slower to cross and as such increase the time on red.

Could someone please explain to me why there was a need to spend even more tax payers money on yet another set of lights on the Cockhedge roundabout!

I thought WW had reported on this story? Or at least it has been mentioned in a seperate thread. The answer given by the council (as I recall) was that they were intended to be part-time, because the number of vehicles heading east on the A57 in the morning peak was causing tailbacks along the A49 Brick Street northbound, so the lights were intended to allow this traffic to exit more freely.

Indeed we did but that was before I suffered the consequences of more mindless traffic planning in Warrington and felt the need to vent my spleen about it!

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had my first experiance of the Cockhedge roundabout with the lights in use and it was an absolute nightmare.

It took a good ten minutes just to get from Sainsbury's lights to the roundabout because cars just couldn't get out due to gridlock these lights have created. :twisted:

It's never been good at that point but now it's near impossible so in future, I'll be using the more sceinic route of Church Street.

Bill :)

To be honest Bill, I think that is what the fools at the Council bank on people doing. Since the abomination that is the westbrook lights were switched on, more and more traffic now takes the alternative route via westbrook crescent (which was one of the reasons the expansion of ASDA was rejected a few years ago, because it was feared that more traffic would start to go past the school. Obviously when the Council are involved, that doesn't matter!

• 3 weeks later...

There are too many lights in Warrington

They cause unnecessary delays and congestion. Although some are supposed to be synchronised, the Siemens work at synchronisation leaves a lot to be desired.

If you include useless lights allegedly for pedestrians to cross roads, and the pedestrian time allowed for pedestrians to cross which is twice as long as really needed - then traffffic lights could be reduced by at least 20% ie 20 - 25 sets of lights are a waste of energy, cost money and create pollution.

So get rid of the lights including ther ones at Asda.

Baz,

Not advocating that far back , but the bus is a part solution and perhaps the only one unless one advocates more draconian measures. I have a bus pass, but don,t live near a bus stop. The few times I have made use of the pass I found it pretty much ideal.

The houses in the avenue I live in all have garages or room for one. Nearly every house has two cars so they park one in the street. The increase in that kind of parking tells its own story of too much traffic on our roads.

Happy days

Unfortunately an indisputable fact H; too many folk, with too many cars, in densely populated areas. Had to laugh at the news tonight, they interviewed a woman in a traffic jam, due to the snow, she was crying her eyes out, saying "if I don't get to work, I won't get paid" - sorry love, but have you never thought of moving to live NEAR (within walking distance) of your place of work? If teachers did that, we might keep the schools open in Winter! :roll: