Car Tyre Damage

Cheshire Kat

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if "straddling" the pillows is causing wear to the inside of the tyres then the obvious thing to do is not straddle them but run one side in the gap and the other side over the pillow. i do not have this problem with tyres as my vehicle does not have a wide enough wheelbase to straddle them. is some places though i can drive between them.

if i am on the bike then the pillows are not a problem :D8)

It seems that the The Department for Transport doesn't agree:-

The Department for Transport acknowledges that concerns have been expressed over

accelerated wear occurring on vehicles which traverse road humps repeatedly. In order

to ascertain whether these concerns were justified, we commissioned the Transport

Research Laboratory (TRL) to study the impact of traffic calming on vehicles and their

occupants. The resulting report from the study, TRL Report 614 (Kennedy et al., 2004)

concluded that vehicles travelling over road humps at appropriate speeds should not

suffer damage, provided the humps conform to the Highways (Road Hump) Regulations

The results of the research showed no damage to any of the vehicles, despite repeated

passes at speeds of up to 40 mph. The research did not specifically look at frost damage

and speed cushions. TRL Report 614 is available to purchase from the TRL website at

www.trl.co.uk.

It seems that the The Department for Transport doesn't agree:-

Well they wouldn't would they? Especially if it was found that damage occurs because then they would be wide open to thousands of compensation claims.

Personally I think humps do cause damage as I have stated before. I have replaced countless sets of drop links and tyres which should be expected to last longer than they do.

Having now done a fair amount of research into this and having looked at the Institute of Advanced Driving recommendations and stuff like that, I much prefer the speed tables that lie right across the road. I actually see cars slowing down for these and therefore no damage to cars is done and it has the effect it should do on speed. These are the sort that I believe councils should use. Theoretically I belive they put the cushions in so that the emergency service vehicles can drive astride them .... don't know if that's right.

In Spain they almost exclusively use the tables as calming measures and they work.

One of the biggest problems is in maintaining them as the chamfered edges do tend to break up which leaves the poor motorist with a wall to fall off in some cases!

What do you reckon works?

I would not disagree with that solution, although I'm not sure why they couldn't remove humps altogether, and use a double sided chicane - like the ones in Callands, but a staggered one each side of the road - that way cars can't just race through them.

Thanks for your ideas and comments Fatshaft. Someone with the ability to think and debate?!

There is a huge need to stop racers and even speeders in some areas but cushions aren't really the sensible solution. Callands folk and others hate them. As for riding over them one wheel off and one on .... the people I've spoken to haven't even thought of that as they didn't know about the damage! I didn't till I was shown it on multiple vehicles........

Am I being naiive in saying if people drove at a sensible, safe, speed there would be no need for traffic calming measures? I used to live in Callands, in fact when those humps were put in. very annoying I agree, and also completely useless. The white van man, a common speedster, is not deterred by them as his wheelbase is wide enough to avoid touching them. 8)8) I'll get my coat :(:(

Quite. Common sense seems to go out of the window when certain people get behind the wheel of a car. It doesn't happen in the USA I noticed, in fact people drive rather slowly in residential areas there. Perhaps they prefer killing their fellow citizens with guns than cars :?:?:?

Am I being naiive in saying if people drove at a sensible, safe, speed there would be no need for traffic calming measures? I used to live in Callands, in fact when those humps were put in. very annoying I agree, and also completely useless. The white van man, a common speedster, is not deterred by them as his wheelbase is wide enough to avoid touching them. 8)8) I'll get my coat :(:(
As do the buses asp, they hammer along as well, totally oblivious to the humps.

It was one of the reasons I protested last year, the only people these humps slow down are those who realise the damage being done to their tyres and suspension, the boy races and van drivers hammer along regardless, so they are in effect worse than useless, not serving their purpose, while at the same time causing great expense to the motorist.

I will stand correction on this but sometime ago I read that the speed tables had to have a maximum height of 75mm. If you measure many of these things on our poorly maintained roads you will find they are in excess of 75mm due to road wear. Presume then the council or an approporiate officer could be taken to court.

There is one of these on Lilford Avenue in Bewsey which I go over most days when going to my mums house. The tarmac around it has dropped and the height of the bump is now such that the top is all gouged where cars have hit it as they cross it.

I will take my camera next time!

Anyone fancying a claim against the council should check out the bumps on Willis Street because despite the fact they?ve been repaired umpteen times, I reckon that the dips prior to the bumps make them illegal.

Over the last few weeks I?ve been pressing a claim with my cars manufacturer for a premature steering rack failure. I could say that the bumps around the town played a big part in this but in all honesty I think the poor state of the road surfaces in general plays a bigger role.

Bill :)

Because by law we know we have too or our cars will get taken away by the 'powers that be' and crushed :?

Maybe there should be a way of opting out of payment legally if your local roads are 'not fit for purpose' or are deemed to be 'too costly to maintain' though :wink::D

• 2 weeks later...