Car Tyre Damage

Cheshire Kat

This morning I posted about an issue I had come across and researched about serious damage being done to car tyres and car suspension by going over SPEED CUSHIONS ( a particular type of speed bump of which there are many in Warrington). I posted this because I felt it was important to other car drivers. Information on this is on the website ( link removed)

Surprisingly this post seems to have been removed without explanation. I have put it on again because it WILL save money and possibly lives. If someone chooses to remove this again perhaps they would have the coutesy to let me know why.

Cheshire Kat

Link removed for no real reason that Bill has stated..

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the link to another local web site may be a big clue.

This forum only exists courtesy of Warrington Worldwide and they rely on advertising revenue part of which is from this site. I doubt I need explain this any further.

In any case, anyone that?s truly concerned with saving lives would post comments on an established active site like this, not an unknown one.

Bill :)

Right of Reply

We all know Mr Green who has really stopped your members from reading this important article, don't we. And that's not me.

The website concerned is only unknown to YOU not its many users.

The site concerned is a non-profit making North Cheshire community site that has NOTHING to do with advertising. As a webmaster, you have assumed the right to remove an article that was posted in good faith and obeyed ALL THE REGULATIONS GOVERNING POSTING ON THIS SITE.

To be consistent, you should remove all the other posts on this site that have a URL link to another site. There are at least 14 that I have read............. or are you on a crusade?

There is still a defunct site, yours I believe, called "www.speakfreely" ............

I consider your reply rude and ill informed.

That's not the impression he gave me......

No only did this man remove the useful link, he also removed ALL my posts which didn't even have a link on ............. whoever he is.

So if he doesn't run the site what right has he to delete requests for local information? ......... AND I do know that the people who do run the site and WW have a much higher level of credibility and common sense than this Mr Green showed.

I'm frankly past caring whether anyone here avoids this damage to tyres.

For the record, it was I who deleted two posts made by Cheshire Kat which both contained links to another site.

It appeared to me that the posts had been written in such a way as to "smuggle" a link on to this site without it being noticed. This is a well known practice. No request had been received to put such a link on this site, nor had any reciprocal link been put on the other one.

When the items were "re-posted" I think Mr Green spotted them and took it upon himself to give an explanation as to why the originals had been removed. He was correct - but he had no part in removing them and has no power to do so. Cheshire Kat then removed the links so I allowed the posts to remain.

I hope that clarifies the situation without ruffling anyone's feathers!

I'm frankly past caring whether anyone here avoids this damage to tyres.

Aww don't be like that CK people on here are very nice really ..... :lol:

Anyway I took notice of your original link and read it before it was deleted as I was worried about the possibility of damaging my tyres :shock:

But having worried and therefore looked into it more I don't think the problem with tyre wear vs speed humps hasn't actually been proven so I'm not worrying about it for now.

On a similar note though some of the main reasons for uneven tyre wear and indeed some accidents are simply un-ballanced wheels, out of alignment tracking but more more often than simply by having the tyres inflated/deflated to the wrong pressure. :?:wink:

It's not speed humps in general. It's the speed cushion type that has been shown to cause damage. Ask the people of Callands and some other areas where there are loads of these about their tyre damage!! We have had lots of feedback on this!
You are not kidding. When the council roads deprtment decided to re-surface Callands Road, they wanted to remove the chicanes, and insert even more speed cushions (allegedly at the request of residents), but asked for feedback from residents before starting work.

I wrote a long email to them asking who on earth would want these tyre abusing devices which don't slow many drivers down as they simply straddle them? They had the temerity to tell me that if I drove at the speed limit my tyres and suspension would not be affected, basically the laws of physics failed to apply at 20mph apparently.

My tracking and tyre wear tell a different story. And I have just found out that another set of front tyres are now ruined after 10k, despite deep and full tread across 90% of the tyre - in fact you can't even see the wear if you don;t turn the wheels full out to see the inside of the tyre wall.

Keep up the campaign CK. I would actually hope that WW could get behind this rather than deleting links, I understand CK could have handled it better, but she has (or should have) a lot of support.

On a similar note though some of the main reasons for uneven tyre wear and indeed some accidents are simply un-ballanced wheels, out of alignment tracking but more more often than simply by having the tyres inflated/deflated to the wrong pressure. :?:wink:

You would be correct, except when tyre wear is restricted to the interior walls of tyres. That is clearly caused by the wheels being forced onto angled obstructions constantly. I bet if you look at any car in Callands, you will find the same wear pattern repeated endlessly.

Thanks Fatahaft!

You are beginning to restore my faith in there being some really sensible people using this site who do care about the welfare of the people that use it.

I am still seething at DS's shortsightedness tho. Yea I could have handled it better but I've not really used a forum before and neither do I had subversive tendencies. All I wanted to do was inform people and did NOT expect heavy handedness from the powers that be.

I will continue to post all any relevant issues that come to my attenbtion through my website that might halp anyone reading it.... tho obviously I won't post the link!!!!!

CK

Thanks Fatahaft!

You are beginning to restore my faith in there being some really sensible people using this site who do care about the welfare of the people that use it.

Steady now, there's a fair bit of self interest involved on this issue from me if I'm being honest :wink:

I totally back what you're trying to achieve though.

Just out of interest, what is your prefered traffic calming measure?

Having now done a fair amount of research into this and having looked at the Institute of Advanced Driving recommendations and stuff like that, I much prefer the speed tables that lie right across the road. I actually see cars slowing down for these and therefore no damage to cars is done and it has the effect it should do on speed. These are the sort that I believe councils should use. Theoretically I belive they put the cushions in so that the emergency service vehicles can drive astride them .... don't know if that's right.

In Spain they almost exclusively use the tables as calming measures and they work.

One of the biggest problems is in maintaining them as the chamfered edges do tend to break up which leaves the poor motorist with a wall to fall off in some cases!

What do you reckon works?

It's not speed humps in general. It's the speed cushion type that has been shown to cause damage. Ask the people of Callands and some other areas where there are loads of these about their tyre damage!! We have had lots of feedback on this!

Sorry, Cheshire Kat..... I didn't realise you were being specific to a particular area such as Callands and as someone who doesn't live round there I appologise as obviously I do not drive over the cushions on a regular daily basis.

Who is the 'WE' who has 'had lots of feedback on this though ' :?

Not being picky or anything, I just wondered.

I notice you have changed your original profile location from Lymm to Timbucktwo and I don't blame you.. Lymm sucks (allegidely) :lol::lol::wink: