The Hankey family.

David Hankey

Can anyone help me trace my ancestors? The Hankey family were located at Daresbury around 1800 and branches moved to Appleton and Wilderspool before returning to Daresbury around 1890.

William Hankey married Elizabeth Wylde in 1836 and his son Edward married Ellen Monks in 1878.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

David Hankey

• 4 years later...

My Godmother Margaret Hankey nee Ashley and formerly Norcott married into the Hankey family of pig farmers at Stretton in the 1960s. Both are now deceased and I believe the house named Mosswood Hall is now semi - derelict and part of another farm. Hope this helps...

Peridot

From my time working for Warrington Borough Council in the mid 70s i remember a William Hankey who worked at the Lymm Depot .He lived in the Lymm area as far as i know & would be well in his nineties if still alive. I seem to remember he was a keen supporter of either Northwich Victoria or Witton Albion.

The headmaster at St Thomas School, Stockton Heath was John Hankey. (70's/80's maybe later not sure) They lived in Willow Drive.

Going back to the info you gave though....

William Hankey (born Daresbury 1816 - died Daresbury 1894) married Elizabeth Wylde (born c1818) ...... marriage date 22 August 1836, Runcorn

1851 Census - residence address 'Village, Daresbury'
Household
William Hankey - Head - age 35 - stable groom
Elizabeth Hankey - wife - age 33
Children
Samuel - age 10
William - age 7
Peter - age 6
Sarah Elizabeth - age 3
James - age 4 months

1861 Census - residence address 'Gass? Street' (next to or off Mersey Street)
Household
William Hankey - head - age 45 - coach man
Elizabeth - wife
Children
Samuel - age 19 - tanner
William- age 17 - tanner
Peter - age 16 - tanner
Sarah Elizabeth - age 13 - ?? can't read occupation
Thomas - age 8
Edward - age 5
Alfred - age 2 (born Warrington)
John - age 1 (born Warrington)

1871 census - residence address 'Grappenhall Lodge'
Household
William Hankey - Head - age 55 - gardener
Elizabeth - wife - age 55
Children
Alfred - age 13

1881 census - residence address 'Cross Cottages, Appleton'
Household
William Hankey - Head - Age 65 - Domestic Serv. Pensioner
Elizabeth - wife - age 65
children
Harry - age 18 - Fustian Cutters Clerk

(Note before them on the census is a 'Farm' of 29 Acres of 1 Man. The 'Head' of that household is Peter Hankey and wife Ellen and kids.
The one before them is shown as Tanyard Farm)

1891 census - residence address - 91 Howley Lane, Howley Warrington
Household
Samuel Hankey - Head - age 45 - Tanner
Sarah Hankey - wife - age 50
William Hankey (father of Samuel) - age 75 - widow
Harry Hankey (brother of Samuel) - age 28 - book keeper
Clara Hankey (neice of Samuel) - age 12

1894 - William Hankey death age 77 - Daresbury ?

Edward Hankey (born 1856 Daresbury -    married  Ellen Monks (born c1855 Wilderspool/or Appleton)  marriage date 14 July 1878, St Thomas' Church, Stockton Heath

Here is their marriage which shows both their fathers plus witnesses to the marriage

EHmarriedEM1878_zpsfe3a8e01.jpg

Edward and Ellen's son 'William Hankey' was baptised at St Thomas Church, Parish Church of Stockton Heath  of  27 October 1878.... no birth date is given

Their address is show simply as Wilderspool. Edwards occupation is shown as  'Coachman'

Note : I think Stockton Heath (and possibly a small part of Wilderspool) all still came under Appleton and Great Budworth then which would explain why other records show them and others as being born in Appleton etc ....
Guess the old boundaries confused people back then as much as they still confuse me today ha ha

Edward and Ellen's daughter 'Sarah Elizabeth Hankey' was baptised at St Thomas Church too  on  31 October 1880.... no birth date is given

Their address is still shown as Wilderspool. Edwards occupation in still a  'Coachman'

Edward and Ellen's son 'Edward Hankey' was baptised at St Thomas Church too  on  26 October 1882.... no birth date is given

Their address is still shown as Wilderspool. Edwards occupation in still a  'Coachman'

Edward and Ellen apprear to have hand another son also called 'Edward' and he was baptised at St Thomas Church on  20 June 1886.... no birth date is given

• 6 years later...