Check your change!!!

Gary

Times are tough out there for many businesses.

I have noticed in recent weeks I have been short changed several times at various retailers.

Now this may just be a coincidence or it may be some staff are topping up their basic pay with a few tips. Who knows, we can all be absent minded.

But it has happened to me now three times in two weeks in three different shops from a local convenience store to a take away food shop.

After recently having the embarrassment of opening my wallet (yes I do occasionall :lol: ) and finding no money in it I now always check what notes I have before I buy anything - so I know it isn't me making the mistakes when I hand over a tenner and only get change for a fiver!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

It's funny you should mention this Gary,.....

Iv'e noticed an increase in being short changed for quite a while now myself!!

In one supermarket especially, where it seemed there was a small group of the staff who repeatedly couldn't give the right change. :shock:

When challenged they very quickly handed over the difference without any qualms or questions whatever............so quickly in fact that it did make me wonder whether it had been a genuine mistake or not. :?:

Others to look out for...... getting charged for items that you haven't actually bought and getting charged full price for items 'on offer'. I've lost count of the times I've bought the 'two for the price of one' and then found Iv'e actually been charged for both!

Get a receipt too and check it. I was persistently overcharged by staff at a local store I won't name, and they never handed over the receipt, just ripped it off the till and chucked it in their bin. I didn't notice the first few times, just thought "Blimey, I didn't think I'd spent quite that much" - as you do, but given that I had about a dozen items and being hassled for time, I didn't really think about it. Then one day I got some stuff for a mate so I made a point of looking at the prices of his bits cos he was paying me for it - and when I got back there was just no way the couple of things I'd bought for myself added up to the rest of the amount I'd been charged. Next time in there, I paid by switch card and then demanded the receipt and sure enough there was three quid difference between the total and the amount I'd been charged. So I demanded the manager next..... turned out in the end that two of them had just decided to add a pound for every tenner a person spent, by way of a top-up to their wages.

I hate to admit it but I rarerly check till receipts thoroughly to see if I've been charged correctly for my food stuff other than a quick glance to make sure if something on offer such as 'buy one get one free' etc has come off. :oops:

Well from now on receipts and change will be checked immediately.

However I was on the ball today... Tesco on Winwick road are selling Sharwoods Stir Fry sauces at '2 for ?2'. Bright yellow labels with big writing showing the special offer on the shelf edges. I needed two anyway so thought great.

BUT the labels also showed the individual price in equally large writing as being 99p each !?!??! :?::lol::lol:

I did tell them but they looked at me in a confused sort of was as if I was mad. Am I ???? :lol:

Had it done twice this week ... once at garage and the other at a local shop.

PLEASE DO NOT IDENTIFY SPECIFIC PLACES unless you have absolute proof which will stand up in a court of law!

ooooh check u out !!!

Anyway i said one specific place but did the other one get taken off because i said a pakistani shop Mr. Moderator ?

PLEASE DO NOT IDENTIFY SPECIFIC PLACES unless you have absolute proof which will stand up in a court of law!

ooooh check u out !!!

Anyway i said one specific place but did the other one get taken off because i said a pakistani shop Mr. Moderator ?

Your comment was removed because it was my decision to remove it!

ooooh check u out !!!

Ok fair enough , although i would have liked a clear explanation on why it was removed rather than it was just your decision to remove it. Sounds like you do not have a clear reason so your just using your position to bully.

Thats whats up in a lot of places these days ... lack of communication. Just do as i say scenario.

No wonder more people do not join forums when u have admin/moderator despots .

I like a forum where u can exercise free speech and if your post is in some way wrong it is explained why not just deleted.

Well it was nice knowing you all, had some very good debates. I wish you all well, that includes you too Gary as i am not malicious.

Bye bye

I hate to admit it but I rarerly check till receipts thoroughly to see if I've been charged correctly for my food stuff other than a quick glance to make sure if something on offer such as 'buy one get one free' etc has come off. :oops:

We are all the same, it's not just you. That's why the scam worked. Anyone with a dozen or more items in a basket has a rough idea of spend, but if you thought ?15 and were asked for ?16, or ?23 and were asked for ?25, you'd just think something had gone up a bit or you'd missed something out. You don't ever think that the nice lad who's just packed your groceries and asked after your health is applying the ultimate stealth tax! I reckon that dodgy pair I caught were earning more from theft than their wages every week.

[quote name="Rifles

I like a forum where u can exercise free speech and if your post is in some way wrong it is explained why not just deleted.

Well it was nice knowing you all' date=' had some very good debates. I wish you all well, that includes you too Gary as i am not malicious.

Bye bye[/quote]

Come on Rifles, you know your post was edited because you named one place and identified the other to anyone who knows you. You can't do that when each incident might just have been a genuine mistake. Half the point of moderation is so the posters don't get sued, you know! :shock:

And you know what Gary's like, so expecting a polite answer was a bit optimistic!! :lol: Stay and play - there's excellent fun in baiting Observer, and you know you're going to miss hearing the end of Geoff's fridge saga.... I'm on the edge of my seat with that one :roll::twisted:

ooooh check u out !!!

Ok fair enough , although i would have liked a clear explanation on why it was removed rather than it was just your decision to remove it. Sounds like you do not have a clear reason so your just using your position to bully.

Thats whats up in a lot of places these days ... lack of communication. Just do as i say scenario.

Well it was nice knowing you all, had some very good debates. I wish you all well, that includes you too Gary as i am not malicious.

Bye bye

If you had had the courtesy to read the rules and regulations when you joined the forum you wouldn't need to have had a full explanation.

If you want to spit your dummy out over such a trivial intervention that is your right and happy posting wherever else you choose to post. That is your right - just like I have the right to moderate this forum.

Hold Gary on just getting over the first shock you opening you wallet for one.

you say after recently having the embarrassment of opening my wallet (yes I do occasionall ) and finding no money ( it would be a fist for you to have any in there in the first place Mr) in it I now always check what notes ( IOUs more like that?s the only notes you have and begging notes from paul for a pay rise ) I have before I buy anything - so I know it isn't me making the mistakes when I hand over a tenner ( ok what?s the colour of a tenner then Paul check him I bet he will not know ?) and only get change for a fiver!(after getting ten pound of stuff that your calculations )

Rifles,

I hope that you reconsider your decision. your input has been good, and informative.

I didn't see the post, so I cannot really comment, but Gary doesn't edit or pull without good reason, and normally only does so, if there are possible repercussions. As he owns the site, one can see his concern.

And YES, a reason "could" have been given, but sometimes this can get overlooked, especially when we have the regular "winder-uppers" pushing the limits as far as they can.

Peter.(Admin/Moderator)

I believe it is still legally possible to assert one's belief in pursuit of free speach, providing one prefixes such assertion with "in my opinion" or "allegedley" - don't retreat from the kitchen Rifles. :wink: btw LP, what's this "baiting observer" buisiness - you mean your posts arn't to be taken seriously?! :wink:

I merely meant that you are most excellent fun to fight with, dear Obs. Quick, intelligent, unafraid to be completely wrong and not deterred when thrashed in debate by a mere woman.... I may even buy a thong, just to wear when arguing with you! :twisted:

Rifles' post wanted editing because it wasn't appropriate - and Rifles didn't object to that. He only asked whether his use of a racially loaded term was part of the reason for the edit. Seems a reasonable question to me, and I don't see why Gary couldn't just say "Yes, of course it was" or "No, I just removed your description of the shop". It was the tone of his first reply that upset Rifles - and I'm sure his second reply has finished the job. Which achieves nothing - reducing the number of posters just makes the Forum less interesting and the online ads to my right less saleable.....