Tut Tut Mr Mayor.........

Bazj

Sha wrote;

Grumpy,

Don't you think it is the Mayor and others in public office who are the ones who have forgotten that they were elected to represent us?

Peter wrote;

Sha,

WHAT has the Mayor done wrong that he needs to apologise for???

:?:shock:

Peter,

If you re-read the posts on this thread you will see it is other posters who have said they think the Mayor should apologise - for parking the Jag on the hospital front.

My post was in rely to Grumpy posting

"you seem to forget that your Mayor represents you."

I wrote "Don't you think it is the Mayor and others in public office who are the ones who have forgotten that they were elected to represent us"

I would have thought that reply was clear enough.

Our present Mayor was chosen from a body of elected councillors, he is a member of the executive board....all of whom are elected to represent us, if you feel they do represent the people adequately then that is your opinion, personally I don't and I'm sure there are many who feel as I do.

I did not request an apology because as far as I am concerned a mere apology would just not be good enough.!

I would like them to actually start to engage with and listen to the people that they are elected to represent. By doing so they might gain the people's respect and people might not be so irritated by them.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe PeterT is right :shock:

... after all the Mayor personally has not actually done anything wrong as he was not in direct charge of the offending vehicle as he was merely a passenger...... the licenced driver/chauffeur of the vehicle was in control and as such is responsible.

Even if the driver was taking orders from a higher authority he/she ultimately is responsible for any offence committed :wink::lol:

The driver is directly employed by the Council and as such the council is directly responsible for his actions whilst on Council business. The Mayor is the decorative head of the Council and because he was using the car at the time, should apologise.!

The driver is directly employed by the Council and as such the council is directly responsible for his actions whilst on Council business. The Mayor is the decorative head of the Council and because he was using the car at the time, should apologise.!

Nope..... although the driver is employed by the Council (or any other body) the driver him/herself is directly liable for any penalties received whilst they are in driving the vehicle.

The registered owner of the vehicle (in this case the Council) is only liable for the penalty if they can't actually prove who was driving the vehicle at the time.

For all we know the Mayor may never have taken a driving test and as such would have no knowledge of the highway code and/or rules.

Wouldn't be the first time that an elected council official fell foul of not actually knowing what was correct though :wink::shock::lol:

So even if Mr Mayor wasn't a driver.... you think he would think it would be OK to stick a two ton Jaguar on a pavement outside the main entrance to a hospital during visiting hours?

Is this guy devoid of any common sense? did he used to be a copper?

I think not!!

Now a lot of what I have written has been somewhat tongue in cheek on this subject, but to be honest, I think the council should have just issued a statement accepting that the driver was wrong to park the car where he did and said sorry. What they have done is tried to justify it because it was "the Mayor" and they don't see anything wrong becauise of that

Them and us again....

Is "sorry" the new get out of jail free card?! :wink:

No Obs.... it is the "never in a million years will we ever use it" word

Remember the Fonz.... he could never say that word either. Brown can't and all manner of tiers of authority can't use the word. They may offer their apologies but they can never be heard to say "sorry"

My 'Yes :lol: ' reply was in reply to BazJ's comment... which was the one before Obs mentioned the 'get out of Jail Card'... but Obs typed quicker than me so they appeared the wrong way round and it looked like I was saying 'Yes' to Obs. (Which I would have probably done anyway)

Can you all please start typing a little slower please :cry::lol:

Well there I was back at the hospital tonight. Another ?2.50 lighter and another car park dent from some prat who can't open a door properly in a space that isn't big enough to park.... Seeing as people are saying that it is OK for this Mayor bloke to have parked or been parked outside the main doors of the hospital on a footpath at visiting time.... look what it says in front of all of the parking ticket machines.....

mj476u.jpg

Item 4 and 5 both apply in this case!!

Give over, this is an absolute non-story. Nice bit of fun for five minutes, but nothing to lose sleep about.

Quite agree James.

Has anyone asked the Hospital the reason the car was parked there?

Posted by Paul Kennedy: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:16 pm

"Maybe Gary/David need to get a quote from Catherine Beardshaw the Hospital's CEO."

Jimmy,

This affects you HOW exactly living in Manchester? when people have to pay out money to park on a hospital car park to visit sick relatives then we would expect everyone to be bound by the rules.

In a town where our own council funded boot-boy parking wardens ticket blood donor vans outside a blood donor session, I think it is right to keep having a dig at the "figurehead" of the council when he flaunts the rules.

Yes it is a bit tongue in cheek, but there is a serious undertone to all this when those in power continue to act as though the rules don't apply to them. You stick to advocating gay parades and I'll carry on bashing the council eh?

Still on the subject of parking... anyone know roughly how much it costs to repaint the white lines on a parking bay ?

Or if it's an easier question have any council car parks recently been re-marked and how much did it cost?

It doesn't affect me living in Manchester - equally it *still* wouldn't affect me if I still lived in Warrington, such as it ranks on the scale of things :lol:

So the mayor parks his car in the car park instead, legitimately claims the money back on business expenses - which would be a fraction of a penny on everyone's council tax.

Alternatively the hospital has given him permission to park there, as they might offer an alternative parking place if a film crew was on the premises, or some other dignitary was on an official visit.

If he really was flouting the rules, then surely the hospital should have given him a parking ticket on the spot? But he wasn't, the car was parked there with their permission, so they didn't. And even if some warden on the ground had issued a ticket by mistake, I'm sure the hospital would have cancelled it - just like the council did for the blood donor van.