crowds or lack of them ???

Latchford Locks

Looking at the play off attendances this weekend it seems that the same problem as the Challenge Cup has emerged,as in fans don't like paying to watch their teams.

As most supporters seem to be season ticket holders they then begrudge paying again that season.

The answer? Well maybe all season ticket holders could have the first round play off games included in their ticket as is now done for the CC ties.

Not the ideal answer as far as the clubs accountants will be concerned,but it works in the cup and generates more atmosphere and looks better on sky instead of rows of empty seats.

Personally i think the whole play off situation is a farce - and maybe with the poor crowds I am not the only one.

The team that wins the league after 27 rounds should be crowned Champions.

But in Rugby league the team that wins the play offs is crowned champions. :?

I can't even remember who is meant to play who and what happens if someone wins or loses any more so until the Grand Final itself my interest in the competition (especially with Warrington not involved) is zero!

The football season is now also in full swing which is an added distraction/interest.

Fair points,but to be honest the shortage of cups/trophies to win in one season make the play off almost obligatory,

As long gone are the days of the County Cups/Regal Trophy/Floodlit cup etc plus no relegation dogfights: so if a team were eliminated from the Challenge Cup in April their season could effectively be a dead duck before it had begun :?

Personally i think the whole play off situation is a farce - and maybe with the poor crowds I am not the only one.

I can't even remember who is meant to play who and what happens if someone wins or loses any more

Totally agree :shock::shock::wink:

I can't even remember who is meant to play who and what happens if someone wins or loses any more

Totally agree :shock::shock::wink:

So do I, the play offs are a joke.

I for one am glad that Wire aren't involved in the play-offs. It means we can enjoy an extended off season to get the playing staff in the best possible shape for next season. I've not studied the formula for reaching the final from eighth position but I think it would involve four extra matches and for what ? A day out in damp Autumnal Manchester that's what. We've already won 50% of what's on offer, namely the Challenge Cup which gave us all a memorable Summer weekend in London. I wouldn't trade a single Wembley weekend for a dozen Grand Finals. Despite the best efforts of Sky TV to belittle the Challenge Cup(perhaps because the BBC have the rights) and talking up the Play-Offs they are failing to do so magnificently. Ask the fans what they would want their clubs to win. To use a modern phrase...it's a no-brainer.

I for one am glad that Wire aren't involved in the play-offs. It means we can enjoy an extended off season to get the playing staff in the best possible shape for next season. I've not studied the formula for reaching the final from eighth position but I think it would involve four extra matches and for what ? A day out in damp Autumnal Manchester that's what. We've already won 50% of what's on offer, namely the Challenge Cup which gave us all a memorable Summer weekend in London. I wouldn't trade a single Wembley weekend for a dozen Grand Finals. Despite the best efforts of Sky TV to belittle the Challenge Cup(perhaps because the BBC have the rights) and talking up the Play-Offs they are failing to do so magnificently. Ask the fans what they would want their clubs to win. To use a modern phrase...it's a no-brainer.

While it would be nice to win Super League I have to agree that you can't beat the Wembley experience!

Perhaps to simplify the play offs they should revert to how it was the last time Warrington won it in 1986 with Les Boyd and co.

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

Winner 1-8 plays winner 4-5 (the highest finish retaining home advantage)

Winner 2-7 v winner 3-6

Semi final then Final - Simple!

I think Warrington won it from 5th that year beating Wigan at Wigan to get there! Paul Bishop drop golas!!!

I think perhaps that now the game is owned by Sky TV which in turn is owned by an Australian(or could be he's a Yank this week or could be Lithuanian if the tax advantage is the correct one) that we have to copy all things Australian which includes the mathematical gymnastics of the play-off system. It means an extra weekend of TV coverage for Sky but seemingly the fans aren't falling for it and keeping their hands on their wallets sticking an upraised digit to all things Rupert.

Agreed Latch...Listening to the commentary of Hemmings and Stephenson is embarrassing at times...it's so obvious that they are talking up the play-offs, attempting to inject a feeling of false excitement that nobody is falling for. We are supposed to be astounded by the beanpole Pat Richards knocking down high kicks to the corner as the best thing since Bev was flying down the wing. If Stevo gets any more orgasmic in these attempts he's going to need a large box of Kleenex. Most of the time I switch off the commentary and view the game in silence. Hemmings is OK but I just can't stomach the others.

Huddersfield tonight..

Just over 4,000 absolute disgrace

Can't put into words my dismay at the stay away people that were at Wembley and pledged "lifelong support" for their side...

:?

Would love the French (Aussies) to get to the final and make a mockery of the competition! :oops:

I suppose the 8 team play off encourages mid table teams not to give in during the last few weeks ,but does a mediocre 20 odd points total really qualify a team to challenge a team with 30 odd points whose players have pulled their tripe out all season to finish at or near the top. For me at best a top 4 play off for the teams that deserve their league placings.

Huddersfield tonight..

Just over 4,000 absolute disgrace

Perhaps the Yorkies are displaying their usual canniness and not falling for this Mickey Mouse competition..Like them I could find a more practical use for twenty quid.

ok fair point,but it is still "their team" playing in a competition that like it or not is televised nationwide and reflects on the team/supporters & town; they should have turned out to support the side come what may!

Well the turnout at both weekend semis were"acceptable",

but..........

How did Leeds who played with probably less than 100 Catalan fans get a better crowd than the clash of the so called Super Powers of our game??? :wink:

Simple - they have the most supporters! :roll::wink:

Well the turnout at both weekend semis were"acceptable",

but..........

How did Leeds who played with probably less than 100 Catalan fans get a better crowd than the clash of the so called Super Powers of our game??? :wink:

Simple - they have the most supporters! :wink:

Well yes; I have already implied that myself :roll:

My comment regarded the strange anomaly between the attendances when Saints & Wigan always assume they are The Numero Uno derby attraction in our game :wink:

My comment regarded the strange anomaly between the attendances when Saints & Wigan always assume they are The Numero Uno derby attraction in our game

Well they did attract 35,695 in 1949 but I suppose that was in the days when RL was good to watch. :wink:

Can't remember what year but certainly way after 1949 that the Wigan v Saints game one Good Friday attracted 44,000 speccies at Central Park.

Good Friday 1961

Blimey Safe's even you and me were still at school and there were no motorways to get us to away games..Workington was an 8.30 set off from the Lion with Sykes coaches and even Halifax waranted an 11.30 set off.........

charab10.jpg

Interesting to note that Saturdays*Grand Final* attracted the lowest gate since 2002 for which, some would say,was the most attractive of the season's fixtures. Having read todays match report in the Guardian the reporter showed some fear of the future for the game in this country. I must say I tend to agree with much of what he said. It has all stemmed from a decision a couple of years ago when referees were instructed to shout *move* at the tacklers at the play the ball. The players have become to consider it acceptable to lie on the tackled player until the referee barks the instruction to move consequently slowing down the game and allowing the defensive team to organise a wall of tacklers. Wigan and in particular Sean O'Loughlin have become the chief culprits with this tactic. O'Louglin's tackle statistics must look wonderful but more often than not he's the second, or better still the third defender to the tackle. They then remove themselves when the referee shouts *move* in sequence..three then two then one by which time the Wigan tacklers have had enough time to have a fag and a cup of tea before being called on for the next defensive stint. Most of the tries now being scored are from short plays on the line or little kick-throughs. Old flatulents like myself and possibly Latch were brought up on tries being scored by superb craftsmen of the game of Rugby League using skills which have largely left the game. I fear that unless steps are taken to take the negativity out of the game it will die a slow death. You can only make silk purses out of sow's ears for so long. Hemmings and Stephenson please note.