Beer dilemma :(

Bill

How?s this for a dilemma, I?ve got about 20 pints of homebrew larger style beer ready and just waiting to be drunk but it needs to be pressurised via one of those little Sparklets CO2 cartridges in order to make it come out.

Does anyone know where I can buy these locally? I?ve tried everywhere today but most said they don?t stock them anymore. Seems the bubble has burst on the home fizzy drinks market. :)

I can get them on line for 28p each but hardly seems worth the effort.

If anyone?s got any, I?ll gladly trade a pint for a quick blast of CO2! :P

Bill :)

Bill,

when you can buy lager and bitter and heaven knows what else from ASDA for less than it costs to make the stuff, why bother?

I was like that coming back from France this year. Normally we stop off at a few vinyards and sample and buy some of the wine, but this year it was cheaper to leave the boot empty and buy 3 for a tenner at ASDA!!

may be worth asking at your local. they must have them for the soda syphon maybe they can tell you where to get one or even let you have one ( that is if they still have a soda syphon on the bar these days).

other possibility is to ask at a wine cellar if they have them for those co2 powered cork removers.

Well it?s still well and truly stuck in the barrel. Just had some friends round this evening and had to dash out to the Co-op for some beers and wine when we could have all just drank some home made beer.

By the way, the homebrew kit was a Christmas present from my son who must be getting to the point where he need glasses because he knows I?m a real ale person and I really hate larger.

Anyway, thanks for the replies on this, the beers good for another three or four weeks so I?ll try and the market and off licences and hopefully get sorted. Meanwhile the offer still stands, anyone with a Sparklets bulb is welcome to a pint!

Wilkinson's was my first port of call as a brewing friend told me they were the cheapest source. Like most other places I tried (Boots included) they all said the same in that they used to sell them but don't any longer. :(

I'll get Irene to try the sports place in the market but if that fails then it's Internet time.

Diz

I reckon everyone should have a go at making some homebrew at some point in their lives. It's a load of messing about and often it dosn't turn out so good but if nothing else it makes paying for a pint at the pub a little less painful. :lol:

It needs pressure inside the barrel to squirt it out and at the same time, create bubbles that gives the beer a foaming top. Without it you can get a bit of ?flat? beer out but that then creates a vacuum in the barrel that stops any more coming.

Perhaps if a put a teat on it then I could suck it out :P:roll:

Peter wrote

Home made Damson wine was the most potrent I ever made and drank.

Nice one Peter!

Finally got round to trying the sports shop in the market but the cartridges they sell for the guns are the same diameter but considerably longer than the ones I need. Looks like I'm going to have to buy on line but the bloomin postage is twice the cost of the product :(

This is as frustrating as when the pull ring snaps off the can.

Bill, have yer not drank that beer yet! :roll::wink:

Maybe ring around places like All that Jazz and the small hardware/knicknack shops, there's a little one in Latchford village that sells tools, bakeware,all sorts of odds and ends.

Otherwise, you could perhaps syphon it out using a tube and an icing syringe to get the flow going.

Would go back to making Damson wine if I were you, the trees are hanging with them this year! I have a few bottles stored away, about 10 years old! lf it's left to mature it ends up tasting like top class vintage port! :lol:

Or this year elderberry might be a good one to make, drink it hot and it'll get rid of cold/flu symptoms overnight!!

Probably a lot safer and more pleasant to take than that Tamiflu stuff...and probably more effective!!! :lol::lol::lol:

If you're into wine making try adding a few mashed ripe bananas it'll boost the yeast 'working'.

The results 'll knock your socks off! :lol::lol:

Sha

Thanks for that. The way things are shaping up I may well end up with 10-year-old vintage lager. I think it was Peter by the way that?s into making damson wine. Me, I?m more the you pour it and I?ll drink it sort of person.

The barrels not 100% sealed in that there?s a filler that I could remove which would then allow air in and the beer to come out of the tap but it?d be completely flat as a pancake if I did that. I?m going to give it one more go tomorrow and if that fails I?ll get them on-line. It?s just that I don?t like the idea of paying ?3.50 post and packing for something that cost 28 pence.

Any way all this talk about beer?s wet my appetite for a pint so I?m off up to the London Bridge pub at stoking feet for one. Just hope their beer flows a bit easier than mine. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, I normally just pay at the door. The only thing that I've arranged is to go on Saturday night this year as my mate's mate is playing in the band that night.

If there?s anything organised here as an informal posters meet up, I'll probably go on that night as well.

Yep, I'm not telling! :P

Had to bite the bullet and pay the p&p costs from a firm on the Internet. So I ended up paying ?5.50 in total just to find out the beer was awful and that sort of money's normally a whole night out for me, including a bag of crisps.

I think the beer is drinkable (if your desperate) but only once you'd finished drinking all the aftershave and bleach. It's supposed to be larger but I think it's got some kind of identity issues.

Perhaps in the best traditions of micro brewing I could hold a beer-naming contest for this strange concoction with a pint for the best name! (The rest of the barrel for the runner up!) :lol: