Transporter Bridge

andygill

• 3 weeks later...

I remember from my dads days as the chauffeur in the early 80's that he had a remote control to operate a barrier somewhere down the back road into Crosfields which lead to the side of Laportes at the top end of Chester Road. He used to go that way to avoid all the traffic through town when he was going to the airport to pick up the boss.

The transporter is along the same road I believe

Baz

If you mean the one on Liverpool Road; then no. There used to be a road from Crosfields that brought you out at the junction opposite the old wood yard at the top of Chester Road. I only went down there once with my dad and I must have only been about 14.

Hi Geoff

Whereabouts is the footpath?

Thanks

Andy

Andy if I remember (back in 1997) I was trying to design an off-road/traffic less running course and I was approach from the Old Liverpool Road. I'm sure that I picked up a path somewhere around the pink eye. This led me along the side of the river Mersey towards the transporter bridge. I don't think that the path was a recognised footpath but it did take me to one side of the transporter bridge. I went over the bridge and headed off down Eastford Road not realising that this bit was private land until I got to the security hut. I don't think that he would let me go back so I had to run all the way down East ford until the Pennine Trail and follow this back to the Old Liverpool Road. On the way I asked the security man on the waste tip weigh bridge where the road was going and explained that I was after a route through to Moore. He sent me to a portakabin where I met Estelle, their warden, which led to the 1st and only so far Moore Nature Reserve Half Marathon. Gosh don't memories come flooding back when they are triggered by a question.

So Andy to answer your original question - the Transporter Bridge is on Private Property and can be almost reached via Eastford Road. Maybe if you approached the historical society who meets in the library they might fancy a trip there and can get permission.

As you travel along Eastford Road, pass the footy pitch. I think you then go over the footbridge that takes you close to Prime Time Golf.

At the foot of the bridge turn right and go under the arches. I've only run along this path once, I don't think that it was very good but once through the willows it gets better and I think you're right it takes you to the opposite side of the transporter bridge, if you don't fall and slip into the Mersey.

• 1 year later...

Gosh this is an old topic that you have woken up Saronie. :wink:

If you are interested in the Grade II (under threat) Transporter Bridge you may be interested in this link of photos taken of it last year.

http://www.urbexforums.co.uk/showthread.php/10263-warrington-transporter-bridge-02.10.10-ARCHIVE

And also ... The English Heritage 'Heritage at Risk Register 2010' as it's on there aswell as Bridge Street and other areas within in Warrington :shock:

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/publications/HAR-2010-regional-registers/nw-HAR-register-2010.pdf

Blimey if the first one only lasted 9 years before it needed replacing I wonder what they made it from? Sounds more like the sort of thing we see today rather than back then.

As for it being a touristy thing and BTW welcome to the forum Saronie, I suppose it could have been or at least a local landmark had it not been tucked away in the back of beyond.

Bill :)

Why did the first one have such a short working life ? Was that one in the same place as the present day one ? From your pictures Algy I wondered if maybe it wasn't strong enough or something as it looks a bit feeble compared to the later one and it looks like two pylons joined together.

I love seeing all your old pics Algy and it amazes me now you find them so quickly and remember what you've got considering how many you must have.

Why did the first one have such a short working life ? Was that one in the same place as the present day one ? From your pictures Algy I wondered if maybe it wasn't strong enough or something as it looks a bit feeble compared to the later one and it looks like two pylons joined together.

I love seeing all your old pics Algy and it amazes me now you find them so quickly and remember what you've got considering how many you must have.

I,m not 100% certain that it's on the exact spot as the first one Dizz, but it wont be far off.

It was soon realised that the first bridge was too small to carry the large loads that Joseph Crossfields require to be transported across the river Mersey, consequently the second larger structure replaced it and designed to carry rail vehicles up to 18 tons in weight, and was converted for road vehicles in 1940. In 1953 it was modified to carry loads of up to 30 tons.

Regarding using it in the present day, that is not a practicable option as it is situated on Ineos Silicas chemical producing site and even if they were to give permission for the public to access the bridge (highly unlikely) the H&SE Executive would place so many constraints on it, it would be unworkable.