Gay Pride

trojan

Manchester is taken over this weekend by 'Gay' Pride festival :roll:

The Tories have unveiled a 'gay-friendly' logo in bright rainbow colours in a bid to attract new voters. :roll:

People who oppose same-sex adoption are ?retarded homophobes?, according to advice published by a Government-funded adoption charity. :roll:

The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) have spoken out against the use of the phrase "that's so gay" which was used in a recent Simpsons Halloween episode. :roll:

I'm beginning to feel isolated and frightened to speak :shock::x:cry:

I won't throw the first stone at anyone homosexual "there but for...."

However I do think they have embarked on a crusade, which to be honest irritates me.

Pleased to see the new radical Mayor of Doncaster has stopped or trying to stop something over a thousand pound of ratepayers money on a gay event. Have one if you must, but on a commercial basis.

Happy days

Doesn't the word "gay" mean happy and carefree? It doesn't sound like it when those who apply the epithet to themselves are issuing ultimata to us non-gays. I wish they'd choose another word, they've totally ruined the original concept of a Gay Batchelor. :wink:

GAY when used in relation to homosexuality is an acronym, standing for Good As You. It originated from the US in the late 60's I think.

Doesn't the word "gay" mean happy and carefree? It doesn't sound like it when those who apply the epithet to themselves are issuing ultimata to us non-gays. I wish they'd choose another word, they've totally ruined the original concept of a Gay Batchelor. :wink:

GAY when used in relation to homosexuality is an acronym, standing for Good As You. It originated from the US in the late 60's I think.

Never heard that one before, not even in the 60s. :wink:

I believe the word was being used, in the homosexual context, before WW2 and possibly back to the end of the 19th century.

The Times offers the following helpful definitions of the word

? Believed to derive from Old French 'gai,' Latin 'gaius' or a Germanic source. Originally meant 'carefree', 'happy' or 'bright and showy.

? Acquired sexual connotations of 'uninhibited morality'

? used to describe foppish dress code or unattached men until adopted by homosexuals in 1960's

? originally used as an adjective (he is gay) and now a noun (the only gay in town).

? used by children in 1990's to mean 'rubbish' and by bloggers to mean 'boring' or 'dull.'

By the way we have a gay pride parade here in St. Petersburg every year - about 30,000 people show up to walk - never have problems. I just do not care one way or the other about this - it is a non-issue to me. :roll:

It should be a non-issue and I'd be happier if there weren't so many in-your-face confrontations. However, I'm old enough to remember when the police felt free to enter gay bars and smash heads with their nightsticks simply because of the way the patrons were dressed. And even this summer, a West Point Lieutenant who served two tours in Iraq, speaks Arabic, and wants to stay in the Army was discharged for saying three words on a television show: I am gay.

If we could lighten up on the discrimination maybe they could lighten up on the 'get over it' demonstrations.

a West Point Lieutenant who served two tours in Iraq, speaks Arabic, and wants to stay in the Army was discharged for saying three words on a television show: I am gay.

If we could lighten up on the discrimination maybe they could lighten up on the 'get over it' demonstrations.

Don't see how that's discrimination. He knew the rules (basically, we won't ask, if you don't tell), he broke them, he got fired.

Nobody would have much sympathy for a cop who lost his job after going on TV specifically to say, "I'm a racist", or a doctor who boasted about the fact that he was a drug addict.

In his case, he had to hide his own identity. He broke the rule to test it in court -- and it is being brought to court. He says, why do I have to live my life without a partner to share a home with? Why can't I have a life like everybody else. It isn't as if he chose to be gay.

I think we all have someone like that in our family or friends. I had a gay step brother, now deceased who was monogamous with his partner for 40 years. My deceased aunt had a lesbian daughter who has lived with the same partner for several decades. Not all gays are flaming freaks.

Nobody would have much sympathy for a cop who lost his job after going on TV specifically to say, "I'm a racist", or a doctor who boasted about the fact that he was a drug addict.

You're equating being gay with being racist or being a drug addict? That's your choice I suppose. However, in one sentence you've neatly summed up why the fight for equality needs to continue and events like Pride need to exist.

Inky: And by the way, I think many, many, too many cops are racists and you know this because you chose the example. And many doctors become drug addicts.

The Boston cop who arrested Professor Gates of Harvard in his own house would not have done so if he wasn't a racist. That cop wouldn't have gotten a standing ovation from a convention of cops a week or so ago, if the standing applauders weren't racists as well. IMHO !!

Why do they have to show everyone they are proud to be gay? I had a cousin who was gay, sadly now deceased, but he used to cringe at the attention gatherers flaunting their sexuality in very public demonstrations. "They get us a bad name", was his take on it.

You're equating being gay with being racist or being a drug addict? That's your choice I suppose. However, in one sentence you've neatly summed up why the fight for equality needs to continue and events like Pride need to exist.

I'm saying that there are many things in life where people haven't conciously chosen to be the way they are. If they want to do a job which is incompatible with the way they are deep down, then they need to decide for themselves whether to "hide their identity" or do something else for a living.

These days we all have so many "rights" - many of them mutually exclusive - if everyone insisted on exercising all of theirs all of the time there would be utter chaos. In many cases the only sensible approach is one of "if you don't make an issue of it, neither will anyone else, now let's get on and do something constructive"

Inky: And by the way, I think many, many, too many cops are racists and you know this because you chose the example. And many doctors become drug addicts.

The Boston cop who arrested Professor Gates of Harvard in his own house would not have done so if he wasn't a racist. That cop wouldn't have gotten a standing ovation from a convention of cops a week or so ago, if the standing applauders weren't racists as well. IMHO !!

The way I read it, the cop in question was responding to a report from a woman who saw a man breaking into a house. He challenged the man and he refused to cooperate and identify himself. So the cop arrested him, as I would hope the police would arrest anyone found breaking into my house - regardless of their ethnicity.

Look guys, what folk do in private is their own buisiness; the resentment and subsequest hatred arises when it gets in your face. :shock: Normality is, that nature designed two sexes for the purpose of procreation; thus anything other is ABnormal, now that's the reality. :roll: However, mis-spent science then invents IVF, and the "I WANT" brigade jump on the bandwagon, be they straight or gay - errm, sorry, but I resent paying taxes to pay for non-essential treatments that folk "want", rather than medically "need". :evil: And now, the toga wearing PC liberal politicians are allowing IVF Lesbian couples to put both female names on birth certificates; thus really screwing up the kids mind in an increasingly screwed up society, where moral anarchy now reigns. :twisted: