Save our Heritage. BEWSEY OLD HALL!

Sha

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sha, if you peeked down from your high horse you would realise that on a forum differences of opinion regularly occur. Suggesting that someone who has a different opinion to yours "might be wise to choose their words a little more carefully" is pathetic.

I think the way that I see it is that as a human being, sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes....and hopefully the majority of times (well 51% of the time :) ) I'm right, and that sometimes there is no right or wrong just a different view point, and that I'm always happy to enter in to debate, discussion and friendly banter but always try and keep it civilised. I do admit that some of my posts can be provocative, and sometimes intentionally so, in order to keep the topic dynamic. I sense that Sha's position is one where she believes her viewpoint is always right and that those who differ are always wrong and should be dismissed acordingly and in whatever manner Sha deems to be appropriate. I guess the word pragmatic is not in Sha's dictionary. Nevertheless her posts are always most welcome and indeed rather entertaining and sometimes very informative....even though I don't always agree with them. :wink::)

I think the way that I see it is that as a human being, sometimes I'm wrong, sometimes....and hopefully the majority of times (well 51% of the time :) ) I'm right

So statistically speaking (from a council type point of view of course) YOU ARE always RIGHT :lol::P

Sorry that stems from a rather long conversation that I got involved in today, but I couldn't resist. :lol:

As for SHA.. he obviously feels very strongly about Warrington's Heritage etc and does seem rather knowleagable in both the heratige field and other areas too... :shock: Maybe SHA is an 'insider' with more knowlegde of what's going on than us mere street mortals.. so maybe we should listen :?:wink:

• 2 weeks later...

The ideal solution is to convert it into a themed restaurant. That way the building would remain open to the public and pay for itself. Although it would probably need a helping hand with restoration.

Can I hijack this thread a little bit and bring up the subject of Warrington baths

I am dismayed the council have just left it and can not believe that it could not pay for itself

Ok it does not need the 4 pools so two or three should be covered up and the space put to other uses, gym, restaurant, play area or something that can make money

Then you have the immediate attraction and selling point of the Galla pool

OK parking is a problem, and one of the reasons the pool closed in the first place if I recall, but what is this across the road, looks like a multi story car park to me!

Can I hijack this thread a little bit and bring up the subject of Warrington baths

I am dismayed the council have just left it and can not believe that it could not pay for itself

Ok it does not need the 4 pools so two or three should be covered up and the space put to other uses, gym, restaurant, play area or something that can make money

Then you have the immediate attraction and selling point of the Galla pool

OK parking is a problem, and one of the reasons the pool closed in the first place if I recall, but what is this across the road, looks like a multi story car park to me!

Strange how they can find mega-money for the Orford baths, yet couldn't or "wouldn't find the "lesser" money for Warrington Baths.

I do question what the people in the Town Hall want Warrington to be?

We seem to be falling behind other towns in the area, perhaps because the policy is ticking boxes?

obs, where there's a will, there's a way. The decision makers didn't "want" to do anything as you well know.

Didn't Manchester have a similar problem, yet got funding to do something about their's?

New build should be the "last" option, NOT the first.

Didn't they get a new one when they had the Commonwealth Games there a couple of years ago.

Think you may find that the Baths were a financial liability, the costs of repair and making it safe would have been more than building a new pool. :roll:

The baths had loads of money spent patching it up, what it needed and needs is a restoration. The numbers of people using the facility was low and that was because of parking difficulties

If you introduce concessionary parking at the multi story and introduce other facilities on the site there is no reason in the pool could not be viable

Fact is Warrington has never replaced the Galla pool.

The first concern should be sustainability which should be at the heart of all planning, should it not?

It seems the first concern for WBC is 'least effort'! :roll::roll:

Refurbishment of the baths may have cost but this would have at least been in line with sustainability and a piece of our heritage would have been preserved. :) So I personally wouldn't have regarded this as a waste of money.

I can think of an awful lot of 'financial black holes' that have been created in Warrington that are a complete waste of money though! :roll::roll::roll:

Obs,

The preservation of our town's history is not merely 'emotion and sentiment' led.

Our heritage is a very valuable asset.

According to research by UNESCO the tourism industry is overtaking both the automobile and chemical industries.

Britain whilst having very little to offer in terms of weather has countryside and built heritage which is both beautiful and interesting. So if tourism is the industry for the future don't you think it makes sense to preserve and protect the assets we have?

Through lack of any sound forward planning Warrington town centre is becoming a mish-mash of tat.

Places like York and Chester have preserved their 'old town' whilst still providing new shopping areas, there is a place for both, but not all jumbled up together!

Years ago I could spend a few pleasant hours wandering around Warrington town, now the sight of it makes me cringe and if I have to go into town for something I get it and get out as fast as I can!

If visitors/ shoppers are to be attracted to the town then making the place attractive is not money wasted.

The problem with warrington is that the 'powers that be' are so far out of tune with public opinion.

I think a few less skittles and a renovation of the Baths would have been money better spent and I think the majority of Warringtonians would agree with me.

I totally agree with you in general terms; but alas I'm not sure "the public" would agree once they saw their Council Tax Bills going up. :? Also, sadly the horse has probably bolted - EG; Church St: supposed to be a Conservation Area, but has allowed a s/market and a car wash to undermine it. :oops: As for our heritage encouraging tourism, again I totally agree, BUT - no vision (or cash) exists in the halls of power to embark on projects (like living museums) that would attract tourists and employ local folk. :cry:

Obs,

Why should council tax bills go up?

I would expect that with a better management of public funds that services would improve and and there'd be far better services with no increase in council tax necessary. :roll:

With regard to protecting and promoting our heritage in the town centre, the council can force owners of listed buildings to keep them in good repair, the council could also force the removal of all the plastic tack advertisments stuck to these buildings. Chester regulates shop signage to good effect so why can't Warrington?

I don't think it's the amount of money available which is the issue it's how it's spent!

When Warrington obtained money from central Govt to regenerate the town centre WBC chose to spend it on the Skittles etc, it could have been spent on enhancing the heritage aspect of the town, the renovation of the baths could have been included in that. Or we could have had a new library etc etc.

The money allocated for improving public transport, WBC chose to spend on a space age bus station, from which access was very strangely planned. As a bus user I think a more modest bus station and more frequent services would have been of more use.

From where I live the bus service actually got worse!

I could go on and on and on with examples of money badly spent that's why I feel so annoyed when the excuse for destroying our heritage is 'no money'. There'd be plenty of money if they stopped wasting it! :roll::roll::roll::roll:

Think it may create a sense of proportion and reality, if you examined the Council's budget - where you could identify the costs of your proposals and at the same time identify from where you produce the required funding - if successfull; we could make 50 odd Councillors redundant and put you in charge - and the best of British! :wink: