Save our Heritage. BEWSEY OLD HALL!

Sha

Re the recent news item,

There will be a petiton in town centre this saturday to Save Bewsey Old Hall.

Well my signature will certainly be on it!!!!!

I think it's an absolute disgrace that English Partnerships and Warrington Council haven't done something years ago to protect Bewsey Old Hall. They seem to have no respect for our heritage whatsoever! Shame on them! :roll::roll::roll::evil:

Maybe we could have an online petition on Warrington Worldwide?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They will probably be allowed to do whatever they want to do in the long run Sha... wether it's through approval by the WBC'a development control committee in the first place or via approval by some inspector drafted in as a mediator and outside so called impartial body of authority as a smoke screen !! :evil:

School Closures, green belt destruction, over development and the loss of Warrington's Heritage means nothing to any of them especially our so called elected councillor members :evil::evil:

Makes me annoyed... can you tell :?:wink:

They will probably be allowed to do whatever they want to do in the long run Sha...

I can understand your cynicism Dismayed.

After the many years of destruction of our heritage, countryside and quality of life it is not surprising that you have a negative attitude re the 'system' and those who operate it. :(

I feel the same, and I'm sure there are many others who have little or no faith in in our Governing bodies either local or national.

However, with regard to Bewsey Old Hall they may not be the ultimate decision makers and due to this I remain extremely optimistic! :D:D:D

Many moons ago English Partnerships offered the building for ?1 to become the site of a proposed peace centre.

Local residents set up a campaign to oppose this.

The campaign to covert it into a peace centre received nationwide support, including the Duchess of Kent, Pete Waterman and many others.

The plan would have preserved the main building and kept the building in use.

Whatever happens now those who campaigned against this (local residents) can only blame themselves if they end up with a private development that no one can visit.

Obs, are you saying non British Nationals may be more interested in preserving our heritage for us than our British authorities? :wink::lol:

They've got more money...well they used to, although interestingly it seems that some of the Gulf Arab ones prefer to spend it on football teams. Which rather reminds me of the comment, how do you end up with a small fortune from football, start with a large fortune.

On the subject of WBC spending money on historic buildings, alas there is always going to be tension and conflicts on how the money they have is spend....looking after an old building or providing additional funding for child protection for example.

Maybe rather than a petition on Saturday, there should be a collection, signing a form is easy....... putting your hand in your pocket is a lot more difficult especially when many people's pockets are depleted or empty.

Interestingly when I was an MD and ran a company called Brimleys, I had 2 listed buildings in the business....1 in Southampton and 1 in Liverpool, they personally cost me a fortune to maintain them, so when it comes to old buildings, I did put my hand in my pocket and it did get depleted...quickly. :wink:

Seeing that it is the 'Local Residents' that will suffer the consequences of any change of use, then surely it is their feelings on this matter that are paramount. All very well for Pete Waterman and the Duchess of Kent to have a view about something not on their doorstep. :roll::roll:

Many moons ago English Partnerships offered the building for ?1 to become the site of a proposed peace centre.

Local residents set up a campaign to oppose this.

The campaign to covert it into a peace centre received nationwide support, including the Duchess of Kent, Pete Waterman and many others.

The plan would have preserved the main building and kept the building in use.

Whatever happens now those who campaigned against this (local residents) can only blame themselves if they end up with a private development that no one can visit.

A very interesting and telling post Gary which I think will put a few people straight. I often warn people about opposing things and to consider what they might end up with, as it could be a whole lot worse.:wink:

'Local Residents' that will suffer the consequences of any change of use

But they could also reap the benefits, given that not all change is always bad. The Peace Centre for example, and from what I can tell, has not brought any problems to where it is and therefore wouldn't have done had it have been at Bewsey Old Hall...which would certainly have been a nicer looking building for it.

I think one of the ideas floated, was to re-create a living history of the hall, with folk there wearing period costume etc. :? Problem is; whether there is sufficient commercial demand for such an investment? :?

There was an event around that area of the woods and the Hall about 18 years ago which did exactly that Obs. There were mock battles and falconry displays and all sorts of stuff. The place was packed out. Maybe if they allowed Gullivers to expand down that way, they could stipulate that as part of the deal, they restored the Hall. That way, Gullivers gets a bit more space to expand and the Hall doesn't get turned into some Yuppy housing estate!!

Seeing that it is the 'Local Residents' that will suffer the consequences of any change of use, then surely it is their feelings on this matter that are paramount. All very well for Pete Waterman and the Duchess of Kent to have a view about something not on their doorstep. :roll::roll:

From memory the building does not have any immediate neighbours - with the nearest building being the local pub - which I am sure would benefit from any activity on the site.

There were many Warrington residents supportive of the building becoming a peace centre and funding streams were in place.

It would have preserved the heritage of the building and many local events could have taken place keeping the memory of the building alive.

It would have been a great venue to keep alive the history (ancient and modern) of the town for future generations .

Unfortunately the attitude of some NIMBYS destroyed this and you must now live with the consequences if you were one of those who opposed this project.

From memory the building does not have any immediate neighbours - with the nearest building being the local pub - which I am sure would benefit from any activity on the site.

There were many Warrington residents supportive of the building becoming a peace centre and funding streams were in place.

It would have preserved the heritage of the building and many local events could have taken place keeping the memory of the building alive.

It would have been a great venue to keep alive the history (ancient and modern) of the town for future generations .

Unfortunately the attitude of some NIMBYS destroyed this and you must now live with the consequences if you were one of those who opposed this project.

The nearest residents are them in the black and white cottage (as we used to call it) which is just as close if not closer than the pub.

Some very negative comments from you Paul :?

Do you really believe that any money provided by the council towards the restoration of Bewsey Old Hall would have to be taken from funds allocated to the Child Protection Dept? Or did you just choose that particular dept for 'effect'? :roll:

There are many sources of funding which could be available for a restoration project, Lottery, Landfill tax, various 'heritage' grants etc. There is also billions of pounds from Europe allocated for Regional Regeneration. I don't think funding is the real issue.

The proposed housing development is profit driven and ironically, though the Hall and grounds are really owned by the public, it is private developers who will profit and it is lack of interest and effort from the leaders of the council who will enable them to do so. :roll:

You have never been known for your support of what you call 'old buildings' or public campaigns to protect them.

quote="Paul Kennedy

...... I often warn people about opposing things and to consider what they might end up with, as it could be a whole lot worse.:wink:

You've already had to eat your words regarding Stockton Heath Primary, so it might be wise to choose your comments a little more carefully regarding Bewsey Old Hall.

Sha, if you peeked down from your high horse you would realise that on a forum differences of opinion regularly occur. Suggesting that someone who has a different opinion to yours "might be wise to choose their words a little more carefully" is pathetic.

Eagle, The last sentence of my post was in response to Paul's comments about old buildings and his quote;

"....I often warn people about opposing things and to consider what they might end up with as it could be a whole lot worse. :wink: "

During the campaign to Save Stockton Heath Primary, Paul made some similar negative and unhelpful comments about the old building.

'what they ended up with' in this case was that the school went into special measures and is still now just 'satisfactory'.

After having opposed mass public opinion and having spent millions of pounds of public money to enlarge the school to accomodate a 2 form entry it fails to attract any more pupils than would have been accomodated in the old building. :roll::roll::roll:

So in effect what they have ended up with is an extreme embarrassment. :oops::roll:

My words were meant as merely cautionary, I doubt Paul has taken offence.

Whatever, Eagle considering the way you have on occasion addressed posters on this forum who do not agree with your opinions I find your post somewhat surprising!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

From memory the building does not have any immediate neighbours

The role of Gullivers intrigues me- would they REALLY want another attraction on their doorstep? Lets face it, how many people outside Warrington know about the RAF/USAF Burtonwood museum, and where it is? An old idea mightve been to move the museum into the Old Hall, but this no doubt would have brought the NIMBYS of the time out too.

Now, call me a cynic, but is anyone still expecting "fire-starting vandals" to pay the Old Hall a visit? like the Bay Horse, School Brow..