More traffic lights?

AdrianR

Noticed from the train when passing yesterday that poles are going up on the Cockhedge Roundabout (A49/A57) that look suspiciously like traffic light poles. Now I hope they arent traffic lights as WBC dont have a good history when it comes to the same and roundabouts. As this is a key intersection chaos could ensue

God forbid :shock: Saying that Observer has been moaning about roundabouts this week :lol:

Driving down Sankey Way mid afternoon (past David Lloyd towards town) I stopped at the red lights near David Lloys Leisure.

Lights turned to Green and the traffic moved on and then came the confusion and scarey looks because the traffic lights from Cromwell Avenue (Peace Centre junction) had ALSO turned to green at the same time :shock: ....... all traffic from the two directions converged at the same time from different directions onto the dual carriageway :shock::shock:

Could have caused a nasty accident and never seen that happen before :shock:

Speaking of traffic lights, does anyone know what?s happening with the lights they installed at the junction of Manchester Road and the M6? :roll:

They?ve been up for well over a year now but are still covered with hoods and so could be in line to break the record held by those at Cromwell Ave/ Calver Road.

Bill :)

Planned road improvements

The Cockhedge roundabout has to cope with extremely high traffic flows and at times drivers can suffer from considerable delays both on weekdays and at the weekend.

These difficulties can be severe during the busy Christmas shopping period.

Particular difficulties are experienced with traffic travelling north on the A49 (Brick Street), which has to give way to a high traffic flow approaching from the A57 and also has to cope with traffic exiting the Cockhedge Shopping Centre car park.

Additionally during peak shopping periods queues are often a major problem on the A57 Midland Way approach to the junction in the area of Golden Square.

So, in order to better manage and control traffic using the roundabout it is proposed to install part time traffic signals on the A49 Brick Street and A57 Midland Way arms of the junction for use at peak times.

These lights will work alongside the existing pelican crossing on Brick Street.

The traffic signals will be introduced for an initial trial period, with regular monitoring undertaken to check effectiveness and success.

The works have now started and are scheduled for completion in mid-August. They will be undertaken during off peak traffic periods and overnight to minimise disruption as much as possible.

The works will be part funded by Golden Square Shopping Centre.

To find out more contact John Redmond, the council?s deputy traffic manager via jredmond@warrington.gov.uk or on 443252.

show me a set of lights they have got right recently and then i'll consider it i.e. westbrook, calver road and lights near M6 above as examples of not working.

Adrian,

while I will concede that the lights at Westbrook were a huge abomination and a waste of money and should have been ripped out the first time they started causing problems; they do seem to have got the ones at Calver road somewhat better.

The main problem is the fact that there are still not enough signs telling drivers which lane they should be in and you will still get the BMW drivers who scream up the outside lane and carve up other users at the lights heading towards Callands.

Mind you, it did take a long long time to get it right and one must question whether the idiot who designed the setup in the first place should have been very publicly sacked

• 2 weeks later...

So they put lights on the Midland Way round about; should guarantee a queue of traffic back along Brick St to Mersey St round about - thus argueing for lights to be installed on that round-about. :roll: Plus you've got the contrived access/exit from Asda, just to complicate matters still further. :roll:

• 1 month later...

As you say Adrian, the junction is already gridlocked at busy times and the situation can only get worse. So is your solution to sit back and do nothing? Or maybe remove the lights altogether and have a free-for all? Perhaps this time they will come up with a solution that will work. I dice with death every time I walk into town this way and would welcome some improvement :shock::shock::shock:

• 2 weeks later...

They have started work on these and as expected, the road is being narrowed. The left turn lane to head down to bank quay has gone. Didnt think we had such congestion on pavements that they needed to be widened or in this case doubled in size.

Wont be a problem for pedestrians, the'll be able to walk through the stationary traffic easily.

However the lights werent workign this morning and loo and behold no queues.