Criminal Justice - UK style!

The ancient Greeks had a system where folk could be ostracised, and given (like Socrates) a cup of hemlock, as a quick way out - mind you it wouldn't work here, as the chavs tend to provide succour to their own. :roll: But I think the barren Scottish Isle sounds about right for permanent exile from society. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Daily Mail.

"Teenage knife killers are enjoying a 'millionaire' lifestyle at a 'holiday camp' jail, an outraged former prison worker has declared.

Inmates, among them some of the country's worst juvenile criminals, can watch 50in plasma screen TVs, play the latest computer games and even choose their own toilet seat covers for their en-suite bathrooms."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202481/Latest-games-giant-plasma-TVs-personalised-toilet-seat-covers--The-lavish-prison-lifestyle-juvenile-murderers.html

As you know I'm against the death penalty, but am now beginning to question my belief in some instances. I am really despairing of our legal system.

To which my response is Sally Clark & Stefan Kiszko to name but two. :wink:

I never said the world was perfect Paul, but how many murderers have been let out of their sentence to kill again and again (in some cases) what about the lives that would have been saved if the murderer had been topped after the first instance?

Stefan Kiszko admitted the crime of killing Lesley Moleseed (albeit he admitted to manslaughter) regardless of whether he was pressurised or not.

Sally Clark was convicted on circumstantial evidence and by the evidence of a so called "expert" witness.

Neither of the two you have mentioned would have been executed in my ideal world because neither had compelling DNA evidence to link them to the crime other than the confession of a retarded suspect or circumstantial evidence.

If the death penalty is to be brought back; and god lets hope it does, the guilty person would have been proven beyond absolute doubt not just reasonable doubt. Jamie Bulgers killers wern't convicted because they happened to admit it or because they were in Bootle at the time. The Yorkshire Ripper wasn't convicted on hearsay and circumstantial evidence.

What I am advocating is that where there is absolute proof, they should be done away with.